SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete Ninth Season (DVD/Blu-Ray) Release?

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
I've looked these release dates over and i've come up with a pattern:

Season 01 DVD - Finished: 04-08-2000 | Released: 10-28-2003 (mostly due to the pilot Tiny Tim song)
Season 02 DVD - Finished: 07-26-2003 | Released: 10-19-2004
Season 03 DVD - Finished: 10-11-2004 | Released: 09-27-2005
Season 04 DVD - Finished: 07-24-2007 | Released: 01-09-2007*
Season 05 DVD - Finished: 07-19-2009 | Released: 11-18-2008*
Season 06 DVD - Finished: 07-05-2010 | Released: 12-07-2010
Season 07 DVD - Finished: 06-11-2011 | Released: 12-06-2011
Season 08 DVD - Finished: 12-06-2012 | Released: 03-12-2013
First 100 Episodes DVD - Finished: 07-19-2009 | Released: 09-22-2009

* = Includes episodes on DVD before airing on TV.

the new sets come out 3-6 months after they air, but Season 8 came out so fast because it had ONE short, so let's hope it comes out August, 2017, so we get some commentaries, behind the scenes stuff, voice recording, and the Goodbye Krabby Patty shorts, along with 200th episode party featurettes, and other bonus stuff, c'mon, we want bonus features, this season is great and it needs a great home video release! Do you agree there should be a blu-ray using the same design as the first 8 season dvds (all the versions released as of 2017, no originals of 1-6) so our shelves will have a pattern? And I disagree with a 2-volume release, because I like my seasons being complete instead of having half of one, and if they do end up doing a longer than 26 episode season, we should get 2 volumes, yet being in plastic cases and having the same design as the other seasons, yet just saying "The Complete Twelfth Season - Volume One". Just my guess on the Season 9 DVD/Blu-Ray, and if Season 10 finishes around June-ish (because of almost half the season done airing already, lol, and more episodes airing in May other than Code Yellow and Unreal Estate) we could get 2 season sets this year!!! but either way, Season 10's release will be late-this year, or a better estimated next year.

Season 09 DVD/Blu-Ray - Finished: 02-20-2017 | Release: 08-??-2017?
Season 10 DVD/Blu-Ray - Finished: ??-??-2017 | Release: Early to Mid 2018

Anyone agree with my theory? Comment back and let me know what you think.

To check up on any SpongeBob DVD/Blu-Ray releases: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shows/SpongeBob-SquarePants/3944#News

Your theory seems correct, I agree with it. A two-volume release would be bad, I really don't like having half of it then have to wait for the second half of it. I also believe that Summer 2017 would be a good hypothesis on when it would release, and since Season 10 will be a very short season, I'd say that it would release not mid 2018, but early 2018.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Although I don't get Blu-Ray DVDs, I agree with the proposal of it having a similar design to the DVDs. I often find it annoying when I get a DVD collection and the designs don't match - Season 16 of South Park sticks out like a sore thumb on my shelf and I hate it.

I feel like Season 9 is destined to be released in the Fall. That, or just in time for Christmas. One of the two.

And two volumes? I don't get why shows even release DVDs like that in the first place. It's kinda silly. If I want the 9th Season on DVD I ain't making two separate purchases for it...

Ihavedahswag

Take it to the Top!
I hope they don't have the DVD box like it was for Season 8. Ergh, you had to take all the discs out to see what episodes there were. Season 7 wasn't much better, the flippy thing broke pretty quickly for me (just through normal use). I wish we could go back to boxsets. :cry:

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
Ihavedahswag said:
I hope they don't have the DVD box like it was for Season 8. Ergh, you had to take all the discs out to see what episodes there were. Season 7 wasn't much better, the flippy thing broke pretty quickly for me (just through normal use). I wish we could go back to boxsets. :cry:
What kind of case do you have for season 8, i just can see half of the season without needing to take out discs, and I would agree with the boxsets, but then that would take alot of money for seasons 1-8 to be re-issued into a 3-4 disc boxset design (revmaped versions of 1-3) and yet, you could wear out the boxes for all the boxsets, as my first 3 seasons are worn out, and my re-issues of 1-8 are like new, plastic cases are the way to go, King of the Hill went with the re-issue design for season 7-13, so SpongeBob should too.
SpongeFan257 said:
Although I don't get Blu-Ray DVDs, I agree with the proposal of it having a similar design to the DVDs. I often find it annoying when I get a DVD collection and the designs don't match - Season 16 of South Park sticks out like a sore thumb on my shelf and I hate it.

I feel like Season 9 is destined to be released in the Fall. That, or just in time for Christmas. One of the two.

And two volumes? I don't get why shows even release DVDs like that in the first place. It's kinda silly. If I want the 9th Season on DVD I ain't making two separate purchases for it...
I own all the blu-ray seasons of south park (12-19) and a few of the original dvd sets (1-3, 6, 9), i hate the reissues. I hate how they flipped the text around so it doesn't completely match up with 1-11, but you have to admit, not alot of shows do Blu-Ray dvd boxsets (Simpsons does plastic cases, main reason why i kept my season 13-17, 20 DVDs) so if i were you i'd upgrade to the blu-rays, their HD, and Season 12 isn't cropped into fullscreen like it is on the DVD.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
TheJasbre202 said:
I own all the blu-ray seasons of south park (12-19) and a few of the original dvd sets (1-3, 6, 9), i hate the reissues. I hate how they flipped the text around so it doesn't completely match up with 1-11, but you have to admit, not alot of shows do Blu-Ray dvd boxsets (Simpsons does plastic cases, main reason why i kept my season 13-17, 20 DVDs) so if i were you i'd upgrade to the blu-rays, their HD, and Season 12 isn't cropped into fullscreen like it is on the DVD.
I guess I should go to Blu-Ray...I mean my PS4 can play them, so...
(In general, the episodes are all in a better quality right? Because the first few seasons on DVD are...ugh...)

Ihavedahswag

Take it to the Top!
TheJasbre202 said:
What kind of case do you have for season 8, i just can see half of the season without needing to take out discs, and I would agree with the boxsets, but then that would take alot of money for seasons 1-8 to be re-issued into a 3-4 disc boxset design (revmaped versions of 1-3) and yet, you could wear out the boxes for all the boxsets, as my first 3 seasons are worn out, and my re-issues of 1-8 are like new, plastic cases are the way to go, King of the Hill went with the re-issue design for season 7-13, so SpongeBob should too.
Are there multiple versions of the s8 release? For me, you open the case and there are two discs on each side. Behind the discs it lists the episodes and which disc they can be found on. As for the boxsets wearing out, mine are lookin' fine :coolio: My personal favourite is the Season 4 set - I like how every cover is being burst into by what's happening inside. To me it's a shame they stopped doing them at s6, but I understand why. The boxsets definitely are more costly - more artwork required, more boxes manufactured, the cardboard shell, etc. etc.

I wonder if it's to do with post-movie seasons selling worse?

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
Ihavedahswag said:
Are there multiple versions of the s8 release? For me, you open the case and there are two discs on each side. Behind the discs it lists the episodes and which disc they can be found on. As for the boxsets wearing out, mine are lookin' fine :coolio: My personal favourite is the Season 4 set - I like how every cover is being burst into by what's happening inside. To me it's a shame they stopped doing them at s6, but I understand why. The boxsets definitely are more costly - more artwork required, more boxes manufactured, the cardboard shell, etc. etc.

I wonder if it's to do with post-movie seasons selling worse?
let's hope season 9 sells amazingly, after all, i got some of my friends into watching the new ones and they like the expressions XD I have a case for season 8 (as with 4-7) where it has 2 2-disc trays and you can see all the episodes.
SpongeFan257 said:
(In general, the episodes are all in a better quality right? Because the first few seasons on DVD are...ugh...)
Best quality of South Park HD out there, web streaming doesn't match up, and Hulu doesn't have the bonus features

Ihavedahswag

Take it to the Top!
Donuts said:
Do they still do commentaries? I only have the first three seasons on DVD
Speaking of commentaries, is it just me or do none of the PAL releases have commentary tracks? Season 1 is even advertised as having one on Plankton! but I can't find it in the menus or through the audio button. I find commentaries really interesting on The Simpsons releases and I'd love to listen to a SpongeBob one.

KarateSponge

Parawhore
spongebob pokemonpants said:
i wish vhs tapes were used again i hate dvds
Yeah...that's not going to happen.

The last Spongebob VHS was released with the 1st Season, 2nd, 3rd, or the movie. They stopped with 4 because at that point VHS tapes were dead.

And they're going to stay dead, even if they make 4K VHS' and VCR's, it's going to be obsolete for the rest of time, sadly.

spongebob pokemonpants said:
i wish vhs tapes were used again i hate dvds
Well, if VHS tapes were used again they would not have: special features, episode selection, subtitles (SB DVD's never mainly had them wither way), etc. Unless, they modify it to have these things.

KarateSponge said:
Yeah...that's not going to happen.

The last Spongebob VHS was released with the 1st Season, 2nd, 3rd, or the movie. They stopped with 4 because at that point VHS tapes were dead.

And they're going to stay dead, even if they make 4K VHS' and VCR's, it's going to be obsolete for the rest of time, sadly.
The last SpongeBob VHS was Lost in Time, I believe.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
IAmAGoofyGoober2004 said:
Well, if VHS tapes were used again they would not have: special features, episode selection, subtitles (SB DVD's never mainly had them wither way), etc. Unless, they modify it to have these things.

The last SpongeBob VHS was Lost in Time, I believe.
Modifying it would essentially mean the featurettes would be placed at the end of the video, after the episodes have run, and there'd be no selection. I can't imagine subtitles would be optional - perhaps a separate VHS altogether, but still...

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
SpongeFan257 said:
dude they were produced that way. The DVD copies are literally the original rips. They look the exact same (or a little worse) on tv then on the dvd.

Blu Rays were produced for HD Content. Seasons 1-8 were not produced in HD meaning it wouldn't make a difference (except for like 2 eps)

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
BenPaz said:
dude they were produced that way. The DVD copies are literally the original rips. They look the exact same (or a little worse) on tv then on the dvd.

Blu Rays were produced for HD Content. Seasons 1-8 were not produced in HD meaning it wouldn't make a difference (except for like 2 eps)
we were talking about South Park Blu-rays lol

Ihavedahswag said:
Speaking of commentaries, is it just me or do none of the PAL releases have commentary tracks? Season 1 is even advertised as having one on Plankton! but I can't find it in the menus or through the audio button. I find commentaries really interesting on The Simpsons releases and I'd love to listen to a SpongeBob one.
Where do you get the PAL region 1 releases? Just order season 1 from amazon.com and i'm sure you'll get the NTSC version :D

Back