SpongeBob Music Thread

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
The Appetizer said:
Out of curiosity, are any tracks you think are underrated and/or underplayed? I'll post my list later.
Oh, there are some.
Out of the original ones: "Wahini Wobble", "Marlin March", Nick Carr's "Comic Walk" and "Tomfoolery" versions.
Out of the library tracks: anything by Mike Sunderland, Robert Sharples, Tony Kinsey. There's also "That's Why" and "Bossa Cubana" from Sonoton.

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
Nice. I really like "Marlin March" and the Sunderland and Sharples stuff. Especially agree that the Sunderland tracks are underrated, "Youthful Days" and "Danger Zone" are particularly amazing tracks. Here's my list:

Library:
Acrobats and Clowns
Agitation Bridges
Beach Boy
Befuddled Gent
Breezing Around
Buzz Twist
Cha Cha Del Sol
Chasey Racey
Circus Overture
Classic Soap 1
Comical Cuts
Coming to Get You
Death and Destruction 1
Death Throws
Entry into Parliament
Epic Tragedy- this one's a truly epic piece. I really like the piano in this one.
Evil Atmosphere
Fierce Fight
Four Evil Men (c)
Fruity Flute- great jazzy track from Master Bluestone.
Fun Ahead
Goblin Ballet
Groovy Baby (Geller/Champ)
Groovy Baby (Ib Glindemann)
Hang Loose
Happy Boy
Happy Links
Hawaiian Beauty
Heavy Fight
Hostile Space
Kitsch Twist
Library of Congress
Long Distance Mission [#20]
Martial Crisis
Mischief Makers
Murder Scene 2
Non-Stop
Norman Buchan's Harp
Ode to Peter Cushing
Primitive Force
Red Alert
Rescue
Sea Shanty Medley
Search Party 3/Creeping Up
Shock Headed Peter
Someone Coming
Surfmania
Sweet Perfume
Sword Fight (Bluestone and Cadkin)- my favorite Bluestone track of all. Very powerful stuff.
Tiki Rapido
Tragic Bridges
Untitled Tune

Original:
"20 years earlier" track in "License to Milkshake"
Accidents Will Happen jazzy lounge music (beautiful track. I doubt Carr will use it again though...)
Aloha Lui Lui
Another Krusty Krab Day
Are You Happy Now? title card track
cartoon track only used in "Accidents Will Happen" and "A Friendly Game"
"Chum Fricassee" cartoon track
Coconut Cream Pie
Dangerous Milkshake Zone
Dirgey
Ghoulish Fools
Hawaiian Ragtime Blues
In a Minor Mood Jig
Krusty Krab Tango
Lap Steel Lullabye (surprisingly not Wakefield, but that might be him on steel guitar.)
M'Wanna
mysterious vibe track introduced in "Squidward in Clarinetland"
Noodly Shenanigans
Rodeo Daze
Salty Squid Jig
Secret Agent 00 SquarePants
Shop-O-Rama
Soapy Organ
spaghetti western music introduced in "A Pal for Gary"
Spongey Bubbles
"Squidward's School for Grown-Ups" title card track (this one's in my top 5 original tracks, actually. Pretty much the only good thing about that episode IMO)
Star Trekkers 3
Stupid Plan
The Fruitcake Vendor
The Krusty Krab Jig (I've kinda wondered if this is the first track Bolger and Carr composed, because the name is kinda generic compared to other Bolger/Carr tracks)
"Tidal Zone" music in "No Pictures Please" and a few others
Tiptoe Through the Seaweed
Traveling Along
Welcome to Glove World
Who Said That

Other:
Big Band Beat
Champagne Music
End to End
Fox Trot
Playa Hater
"Sir Urchin and Snail Fail" theme music in "Library Cards"
Surf 02 158 D
Switch Hitter

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
There is also "Agitation" [#90] from CPM. A really mysterious track that reminds me of The Jungle Book for some reason, and it was used one.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
A rare question: what tracks you thought sounded really good at first, but their endings were kind of underwhelming and/or abrupt?

For instance, "Kamakani B". The steel guitar that plays throughout it, I think, wasn't nessesary at some points: the final chord on the ukulele would be enough without it. This is why I actually prefer the vocal version that's under "A".

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
In November, three composers which work was heard in SpongeBob were born.

17 November 1894 - 124 years since the birth of William Trytel, the Dutch-born composer who made his career in Britain. His iconic "Saw Theme" was used in "Krab Borg".
22 November 1972 - 46th birthday of Carlo Giacco, the Australian composer which tracks "Deep Cover" and "Crime Capers" were used in various episodes.
25 November 1953 - 65th birthday of Dave Hewson, the author of many shocking and peaceful tracks from KPM.

CG5.jpg
dave_hewson.jpg

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
dollimore52.gif

As the December have passed, I fill the missing gaps by telling you who were born in this month.

20 December 1930 - 88 years since the birth of Ralph Dollimore, a British jazz pianist and composer. An underrated genius, in my opinion. His works for KPM such as "Hit and Run", "All Cars and Thames!", "Punctuations", "Blue Lamp Blues", "The Unknown", "The Crime Busters", "Man, Go Man!", "Drainpipe Drag" and...ahem..."Dirty Dick"...have brought so much joy and life into our show.
30 December 1907 - 111 years since Alfred Ralston was born. The British orchestrator and conductor have composed so many works, but his most well-known is "Limelight Waltz" that have played in "MM&BB III".

And that's it for now! If you don't want this topic to be dead, ask more questions or make predictions. Thanks!

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
Happy B-day, Ralph! I agree with you that he's severely underrated. Most people probably remember him for "Hit and Run" (which, as you probably know, inspired Sam Spence to compose his own version of that KPM classic), but I really like much of his tracks. "Blue Lamp Blues" is probably my favorite of his, a true masterpiece.

Also, because you mentioned predictions, here are my predictions for the title card music for the confirmed Season 12 episodes:
The Nitwitting: Mini Mischief
Gary and Spot: "Spot Returns" title music
Sandy's Nutty Nieces: Rodeo Daze
The Ballad of Filthy Muck: Cream Pie
The Krusty Slammer: Cheesy Blaxploitation Theme
Pineapple RV: Groovy Baby
Plankton's Old Chum: Kaula Jubilee
King Plankton: Jovial Pirate's Jig
Stormy Weather: Aloha Bikini Bottom
Gary's Got Legs: Hula Festival

Additionally, recently found this track on APM: https://www.apmmusic.com/search/%5B%7B%22field%22%3A%22track_title%22%2C%22value%22%3A%22Passing%20By%22%2C%22operation%22%3A%22must%22%7D%2C%7B%22field%22%3A%5B%22tags%22%2C%22track_description%22%2C%22album_title%22%2C%22album_description%22%2C%22lyrics%22%2C%22library%22%2C%22composer%22%2C%22track_title%22%5D%2C%22type%22%3A%22text%22%2C%22value%22%3A%22iscd%22%2C%22is_regular%22%3Atrue%2C%22is_query%22%3Atrue%2C%22operation%22%3A%22must%22%7D%5D

This is as good as any of the other German lounge tracks ("Me for You", "Stars and Games", "Cha Cha Nova", etc.) used on the show, and really hope this and Sieben's "Boys and Girls" (both performed by Rudy Risavy's ensemble) are used in Season 12, even if they only play for a few seconds.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
The Appetizer said:
This is as good as any of the other German lounge tracks ("Me for You", "Stars and Games", "Cha Cha Nova", etc.) used on the show, and really hope this and Sieben's "Boys and Girls" (both performed by Rudy Risavy's ensemble) are used in Season 12, even if they only play for a few seconds.
There's also the Manfred Minnich orchestra, responsible for "Waltzing Flutes", "Toys for Boys", "With Following Winds", "Dorothy", etc. They have many great-sounding tracks that are pleasant to hear. I'd love to hear "That's Why", "Rosery" or "Samba Viva" in our show, because I've been introduced to them via other shows and it'd be great to see that they are utilized.

There are also vocal tracks like this: https://www.apmmusic.com/albums/SCD-0433/SON_SCD_0433_03101 When the tracks with vocalizing are utilized, they are always great.

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
RomNick said:
There's also the Manfred Minnich orchestra, responsible for "Waltzing Flutes", "Toys for Boys", "With Following Winds", "Dorothy", etc. They have many great-sounding tracks that are pleasant to hear. I'd love to hear "That's Why", "Rosery" or "Samba Viva" in our show, because I've been introduced to them via other shows and it'd be great to see that they are utilized.

There are also vocal tracks like this: https://www.apmmusic.com/albums/SCD-0433/SON_SCD_0433_03101 When the tracks with vocalizing are utilized, they are always great.
Oh, yes, them too! Really love their tracks, the strings are fantastic.

Don't forget Juan Erlando and His Latin Band, Fernando Mendoza and His Bahia Percussion Group and the Benito Gonzales Latin Sound, who gave us "Jungle Baby" and "Co-Co Baby", "Buenos Aires", "Good Bye Samba", "Latin Lesson" and "Pepito from Tampico", and "Mambo Fantastico", respectively. Excellent Latin tracks, some with rather silly-but-fun vocals.

There's also the Hamburg Studio Orchestra, who performed two of my favorite Sonoton tracks: "Bossa Cubana" and "Cha Cha Nova"!

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
spongebranch said:
I really wish Light Conversation Harpsichord was used more.
Ron Wasserman was a composer by contract, not in Nickelodeon's staff (thus, he wasn't even credited), so he didn't stay on the show for long.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
I haven't posted in this thread in a while. But, I have quite a few things to say in regards to the music on the show:

1. Season 11 truly blew me away with the title card music choices for its episodes. It actually almost feels like Nick Carr is genuinely trying to give each episode their own leitmotif again. Many of the episodes used APM/stock music that hasn't ever been used on the show before, so now when I listen to the tracks I can immediately think of what episode the track is used for. Quite a few tracks were repeated, but they were also kept to an absolute minimum, being only repeated 2-3 times, and spread out so it doesn't get too redundant. It may be a stretch, but I'm hoping that continues in season 12 for the most part.

2. I also noticed that the usage of most of the original cartoon tracks has been toned down a bit lately, as if Carr is also trying to vary up use of stock music and original music. I don't want the cartoon tracks to stop being used entirely and continue being heard on the show, but this is quite refreshing considering how omnipresent some of them were in the past.

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
Thought I'd take this opportunity to salute some more of the great orchestras and ensembles which performed some of our favorite music:
-The American Filmusic Orchestra ("Untitled Tune", "Verve", "Arizona Fanfare", "Library of Congress", "Happy Boy", "War Agitato", "Martial Crisis")
-The Connaught Light Orchestra ("Tom Fool", "Merry as a Grig", "Rescue", "Dramatic Cues", "Skyscraper City", "Poppin' Around", "Roman March", etc.)
-The Crawford Light Orchestra ("Horror-Scope","Goblin Ballet", "Happy Links", "Fairy Coach", "Eight Dramatic Bridges", "Invasion", "Fraidy Cat", "Spooks", "Bump in the Night", etc.)
-Franz Loffler and His Magic Guitars ("Italian Summer", "Background Blues")
-The George Winters Orchestra ("Beach Boy")
-The Group Forty Orchestra ("Curtain Raiser", "Trafficscape", "Epic Struggle", "Holiday Playtime", "The Bachelor Life", "Limelight Waltz", "Sweet and Lovely", "Folli the Foal", etc.)
-Horst Jankowski and His Orchestra ("For a Lonely Girl")
-The Larry Robbins Sportstudio Band ("Stars and Games")
-Luis Faraz and His Tropical Band ("Bahia Baby")
-The Phil Chrysander Orchestra ("Beach Ball")
-Ted Heath and His Music ("Like Strange", "Blue Lamp Blues", "Spooky", "Tearaway", "All Cars and Thames!", "Panic Patrol", "The Unknown", etc.)
-The Terence Yucca Band ("Curley Shirley")
-The Westway Studio Orchestra ("Old Creepy Feeling", "Hey Buddy", "Clown in Town", "Slippery Sid", "Weird Bridge", "Camilla", "Cinnamon Stick", "Orchestral Devices", "The Jitters", "Droopy", "Hippo Bird", "Jubilee Sports", etc.)
-The Werner Bruggemann Octet ("Me for You")

spongebranch

Banished
a CPM track from Harry Bluestone was used in The Nitwitting (it was one of the Box Office tracks) nevermind that it was actually Gorgeous Girl by Kurt Schick, plus Blue Tide (last heard in SpongeBob You're Fired) returned as well

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
spongebranch said:
a CPM track from Harry Bluestone was used in The Nitwitting (it was one of the Box Office tracks), plus Blue Tide (last heard in SpongeBob You're Fired) returned as well
Are you sure that's not "Gorgeous Girl" by Kurt Schick you're talking about?

Back