SpongeBob Music Thread

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
A simple thread to talk about some of the background music heard in SpongeBob. Feel free to post stray observations, talk about tracks you like and dislike, and really anything about the music you feel like talking about. I suppose I'll leave a few of my observations here, based on a few of the latest episodes.

• The instrumentals for "Who am I?" are surprisingly grand for something off of SpongeBob. I don't mind at all, since it sounds amazing.
  • Is it just me, or is Sailor's Sting 7 starting to be the main theme of the Krusty Krab? I understand that various themes are always used, but always it feels like one or two tracks are used more than the others. Once it was "The Rake Hornpipe," then "Tip-Top Polka/The Cliff Polka," then Sailor's Sting 4, and I feel as though this track is starting to get a little more usage.
  • I guess the old version of the unknown Drive-Thru track isn't being retired, since we heard it again in "Krusty Katering!"
  • I am a smidge disappointed that "Snooze You Lose" used "Cream Pie" as the title card music right after "House Worming." I was slightly hoping Season 10 wouldn't repeat any title card tracks.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Unpopular opinion: I don't mind the cartoony tracks, especially after the sudden reveal of Barry Anthony's death.
I also don't mind the Hot Steel and Slide Licks: when I listen to them, I'm imagining myself at a beach with a sunset.

Also, Nicolas Carr has a lot of troubles lately: first his and Stephen Marson's music company, "Animation Music Inc", has dissolved in February 2016, then his longtime partner passed away in October, and to make things worse, CPM/Carlin has left APM in December.

And I have mentioned many times that starting from 2009, it's really hard to utilize the music libraries in EVERY episode of a children's cartoon with the prices for the tracks getting higher and higher (especially the traditional tunes' arrangements), so Carr and his team make their own tracks. In 2011-2016, SpongeBob was the only cartoon with regular usage of library music. So people who dislike the original music compositions should be thankful to Carr that he's AT LEAST still using the libraries now.

And he is still staying on the show no matter what. The guy has patience, and I respect him for that.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
I'm surprised that they already repeated title card music for season 10 myself, especially since this is the shortest season. But I doubt they'll go the route season 6 went regarding that. And I'm glad the old version of the Drive-Thru title card music hasn't been retired completely, because it's honestly my favorite version of the tune. And about the Krusty Krab themes, I'm very surprised that we haven't heard "Sailor's Sting 4" in season 10 yet, but I'm glad they're toning down its usage.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Unpopular opinion: I don't mind the cartoony tracks, especially after the sudden reveal of Barry Anthony's death.

Speaking of that, with Barry gone, does that mean we won't get anymore new cartoon tracks? I don't mind those tracks either, but I think they need new ones after how overused the Restraining SpongeBob cartoon track has been.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Amphitrite said:
Speaking of that, with Barry gone, does that mean we won't get anymore new cartoon tracks? I don't mind those tracks either, but I think they need new ones after how overused the Restraining SpongeBob cartoon track has been.
I don't know about that, but since the co-composer was Carr, maybe he'll still use his works.

WayslideCool

Amphitrite said:
I have a feeling that even if we don't get new tracks, maybe older tracks could be cycled around a little more? I mean, there's lots of these cartoon tracks, and I feel that if they went and juggled them around, used a few in one episode, and used a few others in a different one, maybe it'd be better. Maybe throw in Tomfoolery, Wooden Bear, and the two Comic Walks for good measure.
On that note, I almost forgot! Wooden Bear returned in one of the new episodes! (I think it was "Snooze You Lose," but I forget.)

I like the cartoon-y and fast-paced tracks such as: Clownfish Capers and You're Nice.

Recently, I have been listening to You're Nice a lot after listening to Clownfish Capers for a while, and I like both, but You're Nice is my new favorite.

There ares some other tracks I enjoy such as: Honolulu March, War Blowers, The Drunken Sailor (not to be confused with What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor), the Unknown Drive-Thru track, and Oyster Girls.

Some of my favorite tracks are either by Sage Guyton, Nicolas Carr, and/or Jeremy Wakefield.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Kelpy G. said:
On that note, I almost forgot! Wooden Bear returned in one of the new episodes! (I think it was "Snooze You Lose," but I forget.)
It's the sister episode, "Krusty Katering". It plays when the fancy lady invites Krabs and his crew.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Kelpy G. said:
I have a feeling that even if we don't get new tracks, maybe older tracks could be cycled around a little more? I mean, there's lots of these cartoon tracks, and I feel that if they went and juggled them around, used a few in one episode, and used a few others in a different one, maybe it'd be better. Maybe throw in Tomfoolery, Wooden Bear, and the two Comic Walks for good measure.
Well, the majority of Season 10 was edited by Carr before Barry's passing (and CPM/Carlin's departure), so time will tell. He would definitely get many new episodes on the way, so I think he's now in total despair with both of them gone.

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
RomNick said:
I also don't mind the Hot Steel and Slide Licks: when I listen to them, I'm imagining myself at a beach with a sunset.

Also, Nicolas Carr has a lot of troubles lately: first his and Stephen Marson's music company, "Animation Music Inc", has dissolved in February 2016, then his longtime partner passed away in October, and to make things worse, CPM/Carlin has left APM in December.

And I have mentioned many times that starting from 2009, it's really hard to utilize the music libraries in EVERY episode of a children's cartoon with the prices for the tracks getting higher and higher (especially the traditional tunes' arrangements), so Carr and his team make their own tracks. In 2011-2016, SpongeBob was the only cartoon with regular usage of library music. So people who dislike the original music compositions should be thankful to Carr that he's AT LEAST still using the libraries now.

And he is still staying on the show no matter what. The guy has patience, and I respect him for that.
How do you know Animation Music Inc. dissolved in February of last year?

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
I hope we hear some new tracks with Season 10's title cards, which is why I was glad that "Krusty Katering" used a new track.

Actually, it wasn't new. I could recognize right of the bat, that it was a new part of then bulletin board unknown track, also heard in Goodbye Krabby Patty's title card.

WayslideCool

The Appetizer said:
Any original tracks that you guys think should be used more often? For me, I personally think the "Are You Happy Now" title card song should be used a bit more often.
I totally agree with you! I love that track.

DigDugtrio

Floating Shopping List
I love the original tracks composed for the show. The Krusty Krab and cartoonish Barry Anthony tracks get more hate than they deserve. (Although I will say some of them are overused) The stuff by Sage and Jeremy is great as well. Tracks like Gator, Twelfth Street Rag, Slide Whistle Song, Earl's Revenge, etc. really add to the show. Nick Carr's tracks are great as well.

At the same time though I really love a lot of the non-original music such as Wooden Bear, Comic Walk, Honolulu March, On the Beach, The Tip Top Polka, and a lot of others.

The music in this show is some of the best I've heard and I'm glad we've had it in the shows run.

The Appetizer said:
Any original tracks that you guys think should be used more often? For me, I personally think the "Are You Happy Now" title card song should be used a bit more often.
Drowsy Reef, Happy Sponge Chase Vibes, Shellfish Behavior, and Saltwater Works.
I

JalecoChicaTaitoSpongebob said:
What do you think of Sailor's Sting 28, the title card music of Factory Fresh?

It was also heard on Bulletin Board when Mr. Krabs was talking to the old lady critic.
It's a nice new sailor track, I hope we hear it more in season 10.

Back