SpongeBob Music Thread

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
Some observations on the music used in "Filthy Muck":
-HOLY COW IS THAT A NEW BELFER TRACK?!!
-Love the new Hawaiian music used during the opening of the episode. Was that from West One? Sounded like the same group who performed "Pacific Blue".

spongebranch

Banished
we also got "Stop Press", "Epic Tragedy", "Drama Link (e)" returning, and a "Finger of Suspicion" track from Max Saunders

spongebranch

Banished
apparently the Skipping to School version that played in "Trenchbillies" has been identified as "Skipping to Hillbilly School"

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Also, I think that with the recent events, Carr would consciously stop using tracks from the NFL library...

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
This might seem like a stupid question, but how come Carr can't use the Gregor Narholz and John Debney cues from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and Sponge Out of Water respectively? Rights issues?

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
This might seem like a stupid question, but how come Carr can't use the Gregor Narholz and John Debney cues from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and Sponge Out of Water respectively? Rights issues?
Of course it's the rights issues! The movies' cues are used only in movies.
That's why Carr wasn't involved in the second movie. As Waller said, "movie people like to work with movie people".

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
By the way, what's your favorite instrument in the library tunes (besides accordion and any types of guitar, of course)?
Mine are strings (if there are also echos, it is double cool) and saxophone of any kind.
I don't have any unliked instruments, really. Sometimes, though, the piano might tick me off if it is combined with orchestral music, like in many Soviet films.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
So I just spoke with Gary Brandin on Facebook, and he confirmed that his music isn't used because Nickelodeon doesn't want to pay the royalties to all five of the Blue Hawaiians' band members each time their track plays in new episodes. They never even knew their third track was gonna be used in the second movie (Carr had nothing to do with it, again). Quote:
"I thought "Hawaiian Walk" was one of our best. I wondered why it was never used? Then on the credits of the second film I see it's on the sound track. The deal we signed says we get nothing for DVD or movie use. At the time we got the call to do music for the show, we didn't think it was any big deal. Oh well. "
"We were very busy back in those days. SpongeBob wasn't that big a deal till a few years later. "

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Also, there was this interesting tidbit from the John Fox book "My Musical World" which was released before his death:

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
"Towerstreet 13" returned in a certain episode, and it certainly fits the scene it was in!

coft

happy hopping moron
Hawaiian Holiday just returned in king plankton

Last edited:

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Hawaiian Holiday just returned in king plankton
And a temporary (as Mr. Schletter himself said) music editor, for the first time in the show's history: Jeff Lingle.
As to why Carr disappeared for some time, he said he isn't allowed to say anything.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
So relieving that Carr was back in Sandy's Nutty Nieces. And hooray, "Handy Pandy" by Cedric Palmer from JW Vault has played in Insecurity Guards!

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
And a temporary (as Mr. Schletter himself said) music editor, for the first time in the show's history: Jeff Lingle.
As to why Carr disappeared for some time, he said he isn't allowed to say anything.

Gotta say, I like Jeffrey Lingle. He uses a lot of good music, especially tracks Nick Carr barely uses anymore.

Back