Movie News ‘SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run’ will play in homes instead of movie theaters

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I'm not surprised.

Last edited:

Waterbubble

Part Computer or Something
giphy.gif

It'll be scary for movie theaters, because of Sponge on the Run going to VOD then to CBS all access, everyone on the internet is fearing that because of what's been going on lately with COVID-19, and also because of these 3 animated movies (Trolls World Tour, Scoob!, and now this movie) going onto VOD then streaming instead of theaters, that the movie theater industry will either go bankrupt or to the point that this whole VOD thing will make the movie theaters ban animated movies from their establishments all together!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I'm surprised. I really thought they were gonna try and release in theaters. I'm glad they're putting safety first, though I wish it wasn't delayed for so long. Early 2021? I wonder why, especially since the pandemic could be completely different by then (maybe better, maybe worse, who knows).

Whisper

let me show you how its done
Staff
This is surprising news. Why is it getting delayed so far back though? I don't get it...

Squilly

Floating Shopping List
Safety is important and I'm not upset that they delayed the movie - sure, I'll wait! But if you're already delaying the movie, why not release it in theaters? Of course there's no way of knowing, but I'm assuming that the situation will be better by then, safety wise.

For me, the movie theatre visit is a fun little experience on its own: I wanted to see the movie in an air-conditioned dark room, with a barrel of popcorn and crying babies around me. Oh well, guess that's not happening with this movie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
I just hate how they didn't go with the original May date since they are releasing it to streaming services. I don't care that it isn't in theaters. No reason to push it back if it's on streaming.

Yeah, as much as I expected this to happen, that is just stupid. Pick one or the other.

Whisper

let me show you how its done
Staff
I probably should have seen it coming, but yeah I'm...kinda disappointed that the movie isn't gonna be in theaters anymore? I'm not mad at the delay, but what's the point of delaying it all the way to 2021 if it's just a digital release anyways?

I'm also still hoping that theaters don't die out completely. I love going to the theater to see movies.

eliugra

On-and-Off SBManiac
I always like when shows/films are on a streaming service I already have! Too bad this'll likely be on Viacom / CBS All Access, where I think my free trial ran out. Guess I'll just snag the Bluray or a digital version eventually!

Back