Movie News Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run Thoughts.

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
I haven't watched the movie yet, but seeing as it is now available on netflix, I wanted to ask for your thoughts so I can kind of know what to expect when I do watch it. Did you like it, didi you not, tell me in this thread!

MPack

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I just watched it a few minutes ago. Can't tell you how, but I will tell ya that it's a pretty good movie! It's my favorite movie of 2020!

Whiteout

Imitation Krab
I finished watching it today. It released on Australian netflix for me.

I think it's better than Sponge Out Of Water but not as good as the first SB movie.

Good movie. Would I rewatch it again? Yeah! I liked and enjoyed it.

What I liked:
  1. The animation is really great
  2. A few funny and memorable jokes that made me laugh
  3. All of the characters are actually written well and seem more layered than the average SB episode (unsurprising since the movie had a bigger budget)
  4. The keanu reeves tumbleweed was pretty cool and most of the laughs for me were from his lines
  5. The other characters sticking up for Spongebob was actually genuinely heartwarming and made me feel good
  6. Plankton helping the other characters is always an interesting dynamic

Flaws:
  1. The thing that bugs me the most is that it goes against Hillenburg's wishes (of not wanting a younger SB spinoff) and the Kamp Koral goes against canon.
  2. I think there was a fart/poop joke or two gross. (Patrick eating gary's litter which was shown to have turds in it, also I think spongebob farted when he got scared because bubbles came from his butt)
  3. The plot is hard to follow at times, like earlier in the film with the dream sequence (idk if it was a dream or not) it just seems to randomly transition to the dream with the keanu reeves tumbleweed really choppily, as if they were trying to shoehorn all the actors and celebrities they had? And idk I just felt like the zombie pirate cowboy thing was really choppily written/added
  4. The villian turnaround was a bit choppy? Idk I just feel like the writing was a bit choppy in some places, like characters just randomly switched sides really quickly?
Things To Note (not necessarily good or bad)
  1. The plot is really bizarre and weird - the weirdness is funny/interesting but also makes it a bit harder and more confusing to follow at times
  2. They sing a song about how Spongebob is the formula all along, I usually can't stand musical numbers in shows (Yup, that's why Atlantis Squarepantis is a nightmare for me)
  3. No patchy segments? (I actually don't mind Patchy, some people like him and some people don't, no patchy segments was mostly a "neutral" for me, it could be a "positive" or even "negative" for some)
  4. Karen's voice sounded different. It made it a bit more hard to understand and took a bit for me to get used to?

SQUIGOR

sponge on the run is not bad y'all are just mean
I watched sponge on the run a few times and I really loved it. Honestly, Camp Coral scenes were my favourite part of the movie. I know some people hate that they "ruin canon", but I couldn't care less, it's SpongeBob, deep lore and canon is not what I came for. I think as long as characters act as they should, you can do whatever you want with them, and I think writers of this film did a phenomenal job. Camp Coral scenes were very charming and heartwarming, Squidward's flashback almost made me tear up a bit. All of the songs are great and the movie is pretty funny too. Sponge on the run is probably my favourite film from the trilogy, but it's hard to choose between this and sponge out of water.

SQUIGOR

The only reason some people aren't happy with the new movie is because there wasn't a SpongeBob theme song at the beginning like in previous two films

SQUIGOR

I think it would've been pretty awesome if Tim Hill would return to work on new episodes as a writer and/or story editor

Back