Spongebob Is Asexual, not Aromantic

Sponge64

New Kelp City's Mayor
I haven't talked in this thread yet? Huh. Okay.

I don't think SpongeBob has particularly had romantic attraction towards anyone. A few scenes come to mind.

In The Two Faces of Squidward, every single citizen of Bikini Bottom is just in complete awe, attracted to this handsome squid hunk, EXCEPT SpongeBob, who is completely unphased.

1709849566867.png

SpongeBob also remains neutral towards Squilvia in Love That Squid and just gives genuine dating advice towards Squidward

1709850417728.png

Ditto for Tea at the Treedome, where SpongeBob actually stays pretty neutral, though the other characters, not so much, as in, mostly Patrick.

1709851215936.png

The Truth or Square wedding play scene weird me out in this reguard, though, but it's obviously a really hilarious set up joke.

1709851343085.png

That's my opinion on his sexuality. He absolutely lacks romantic attraction, and I think he's more in tune to just making really good friends. Even when SpongeBob brought flowers to Sandy for the "tea date," it was just a genuine show of his affection to make a new friend that breathes this new thing called "air."

I don't think it's worth mentioning, but in The Chaperone, SpongeBob is also just really neutral when everyone else is so romance focused. SpongeBob is just there to help out his boss and to have fun. He puts up a mean dance! I don't think it's worth mentioning because Pearl is canonically 16 (if before then she was 15) and SpongeBob is middle-aged. Obviously, hope to god no romantic attraction was happening there though then, but of course, Sponges live a long time, so who really knows how old he actually is in Sponge years. His parents have probably witnessed a few wars.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
That's my opinion on his sexuality. He absolutely lacks romantic attraction, and I think he's more in tune to just making really good friends.
I 100% agree, which is why I headcanon SpongeBob as aroace. Obviously, this being a kids show we're never really going to get the ace part in the show, but that's fine because it was Stephen Hillenburg who said SpongeBob was asexual (now, I'm sure it's fairly obvuous that he probably meant this in the biology way, but I'm taking it and running with it, just like many others have).

And then as you said, SpongeBob has never really been shown to be interested in romance in any capacity. While you could argue he is flirtatious at times, that doesn't necessarily have to mean he's interested. And that's why I think he's also aromantic.

Sponge64

New Kelp City's Mayor
I 100% agree, which is why I headcanon SpongeBob as aroace. Obviously, this being a kids show we're never really going to get the ace part in the show, but that's fine because it was Stephen Hillenburg who said SpongeBob was asexual (now, I'm sure it's fairly obvuous that he probably meant this in the biology way, but I'm taking it and running with it, just like many others have).

And then as you said, SpongeBob has never really been shown to be interested in romance in any capacity. While you could argue he is flirtatious at times, that doesn't necessarily have to mean he's interested. And that's why I think he's also aromantic.
He is flirtatious in a playful and teasing way. No interest in whoever receives his playful demeanor.

Neon2500

Floating Shopping List
I think SpongeBob might be bisexual and I think he gets crushes but he’s not interested in sex because that wouldn’t go with his naive innocent personality.

It think what Hillenburg more likely meant was that it’s just not what they are going to make stories about in this show. Becuase SB is about as interested in romance as a little boy he’s not going to really put much thought into it or make it an objective for him.

I think SB was implied to have a minor crush on Sandy in Season One, as the way he interacts with her in these episodes for the most part is more similar to how a boy would try to impress a girl. The pitch Bible implied SB liked Sandy but they had a non conventional relationship and did rigorous physical activities like karate and surfing instead of dating.

On a side note, I hate how in recent seasons they have SB acting like a bad gay stereotype and making a lot of flirtatious remarks to random characters. Anyone else notice this?

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
In all honesty, why does SpongeBob's sexuality matter so much to people?

Just wondering, yk?

Back