SpongeBob & Homosexuality

Sweat

Banished
SpongeBob vs. Homosexuality
by Halibut
Introduction
There is no doubt about it: homosexuality is one of the most talked-about topics in the world at the moment. It has been talked about for the last 25 to 30 years, but it is now being most important. Homosexual freedom is the new equal rights movement. Homophobia is the new racism. It can't be escaped whether you like it or not. In fact, there are some gay members on SpongeBuddy Mania. Of course, with that much buzz, there has got to be some innocent things that are being targeted with asinine accusations in one way or another.

The Basics
I really don't need to say anything about SpongeBob. This site is about it for God's sakes. If there is one thing that is true, many people point to SpongeBob for many problems. There are many that range from lack of education to seizure-inducing animation, and then there's homosexuality. Ultimately, SpongeBob is a big target for this topic.
spongebob_imagination.png

The Political & Parental View
To make it simple, even if a parent supports homosexuality, they're not going to let their child learn about it at a very early age. In a way, even I think it's not the best thing to encourage homosexuality on them immediately. You have to give them room when they're older so they can digest it. Of course, there are parents in the world that are a lot more strict than that. There are many parents that will just not say the word 'gay' ever just so their kids won't figure anything out. Of course, it's not just the parents that oppose the topic in some way. Then..... there are the politicians. A lot of people will point right to programs like Fox News that are the ones bashing SpongeBob for being gay. There is no doubt whatsoever. It can be bias to say so, but this is true. Republicans generally oppose homosexuality. If they oppose that, then of course they'll be paranoid about gayness in SpongeBob. When SpongeBob is on the news, it's almost ALWAYS because of this. Ultimately, that news goes to the parents' heads then boom: kids can't watch SpongeBob. Of course, it's not like all of the news is homophobic... is it?

eSupport
Republicans are for opposing SpongeBob's homosexual undertones as much as the internet is for supporting it. There is an infinite amount of fan art exploiting fake homosexual relationships in this show.
tumblrm8f4eunpvm1qkpphb.jpg
handsome_squidward_and_squillium_by_meowmecomics-d4xsay7.jpg
You just can't go around it. You just can't. People on the internet love supporting gay SpongeBob couples; especially on DeviantArt. Out of all things, internet communities are usually the opposite of journalist communities in a big way. It can usually be in a joking matter considering fan art and such, but a lot of people are genuinely supportive of homosexual couples not just on SpongeBob, but on children's programming overall. By genuinely supportive, I mean that there are people that actually want stuff like this to happen and do not want just boy-girl relationship on kid's TV. Because of this, the opinion on SpongeBob's homosexuality is balanced more than anything, but what does the creator of SpongeBob, Stephen Hillenburg think?

The Somewhat Trusted Source
While journalists generally oppose of SpongeBob and homosexuality mixing together and internet communities usually support, there is only one person who knows the cold hard truth: Stephen Hillenburg. He is the creator of SpongeBob, so he is technically the only person who knows SpongeBob's sexual orientation in full clarity. His view is quite different from many others. The guy and some people who work with him have said multiple times that SpongeBob is completely asexual. They say that he has no romantic orientation as he is just a simple cartoon character. While people do know that, many people still like to "fantasize" romantic relationships in the show. The funny part is the fact is that the other male characters on the show do romantic feelings, like Mr. Krabs with Mrs. Puff, Squidward with Squilvia, Patrick with Mindy, and Plankton with Karen. It's the little yellow fella that's still just a playful sea creature.

The Main Verdict
People should really just let it go. SpongeBob is never going to have a romantic relationship and never will. It's just not him. SpongeBob is just a loveable children's character. That's what he is and that's what he always will be. While he will never have a boyfriend or girlfriend, one thing that he will always have is best friend that care for him and play for him. Right now, he is just bent on making Krabby Patties and having fun altogether. It's nothing else.
spongebob-mobile-wallpaper.jpg

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
Here's what I have to say about homosexuality in SpongeBob:

I don't care.

He and other characters could be gay, they could be straight, they could be bi, they could be asexual, they could be any sexuality. And I wouldn't care.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
Even when there are blatant jokes that play with SpongeBob's orientation ("I like Squidward."-20,000 Patties) I've never looked at it as SpongeBob being gay.​
Because SpongeBob is a kid. (Mentally, at least.)​
hehe hand holding
SpongeBob is a kid, in all aspects. Being gay or straight aren't even part of his life- He just is.So he's going to hold hands with someone regardless of whether they are a boy or a girl. He's going to express love for someone regardless of who they are. This optimism, this acceptance, and this general childlike, carefree about what people think attitude is what the show is about, it's overall moral.​
Be yourself.
Even if said labels existed to SpongeBob, he wouldn't care, because SpongeBob is the carefree type of person who is himself and happy with who he is. Labels do not and never have applied to SpongeBob, and generally never should. SpongeBob is not gay. SpongeBob is not straight. Heck, SpongeBob isn't even asexual. SpongeBob is just SpongeBob. And labels shouldn't matter.​

"And you know, I've been through a lot in the past six days, five minutes, twenty seven and a half seconds. And if I've learned anything during that time, it's that you are who you are. And no amount of mermaid magic...Or manegerial promotion, or some other third thing, will make me more than what I really am inside. A kid."​
That's the moral of the show, and a great one to live by. And it's why SpongeBob is a great character, and would always be, even if he was gay, or straight, or whatever. But he just is. And that's okay.​

Cha

I love SBM
As long as people don't say "SpongeBob ez gay lol" because they're just wanting to "insult" SpongeBob in general, I don't mind too much about what the fans ship anymore. SpongeBob is just his lovable self who in reality is too busy with his job and other stuff to care about adult things such as romance. Even with Spandy, SpongeBob isn't interested in gay/straight/whatever relationships, he's interested in his friends. The glorious thing about this show is that we can all escape the romanic relationships that most shows force upon characters. I don't know about you guys but SpongeBob's asexual life style has really taught myself how more important friendship is than anything else. Eat your heart out Bronies, but SpongeBob's the ultimate "friendship is magic" to me. :p

psst Patty doesn't count because she was a Krabby Patty, therefore just a "piece of meat". SpongeBob was probably having a breakdown from working too much at the KK at the time like in Fear of a Krabby Patty. :shiftyninja:

Sweat

Banished
Jibbix said:
Even when there are blatant jokes that play with SpongeBob's orientation ("I like Squidward."-20,000 Patties) I've never looked at it as SpongeBob being gay.​
Because SpongeBob is a kid. (Mentally, at least.)​
hehe hand holding
SpongeBob is a kid, in all aspects. Being gay or straight aren't even part of his life- He just is.So he's going to hold hands with someone regardless of whether they are a boy or a girl. He's going to express love for someone regardless of who they are. This optimism, this acceptance, and this general childlike, carefree about what people think attitude is what the show is about, it's overall moral.​
Be yourself.
Even if said labels existed to SpongeBob, he wouldn't care, because SpongeBob is the carefree type of person who is himself and happy with who he is. Labels do not and never have applied to SpongeBob, and generally never should. SpongeBob is not gay. SpongeBob is not straight. Heck, SpongeBob isn't even asexual. SpongeBob is just SpongeBob. And labels shouldn't matter.​

"And you know, I've been through a lot in the past six days, five minutes, twenty seven and a half seconds. And if I've learned anything during that time, it's that you are who you are. And no amount of mermaid magic...Or manegerial promotion, or some other third thing, will make me more than what I really am inside. A kid."​
That's the moral of the show, and a great one to live by. And it's why SpongeBob is a great character, and would always be, even if he was gay, or straight, or whatever. But he just is. And that's okay.​
Darnit Jibbix, you stole my thunder :p Nah, you made good points there.

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
Sandy died said:
It'd be kinda cool if Squidward was gay, but I doubt that.

*goes back to random fandom with HPL*
I'd find it cool if any of the characters were gay, simply because I think there should be more gay characters in children's media, but I personally don't care to question characters' sexuality.

Anyway, I like that romance is (for the most part) left out of the show. Like Cha said, so many shows try to force romances, but I find friendship far more interesting than romance.

todd phillips

Krabby Patty Burglar
all this is not true in spongebob it's all the jealous people that rather watch any version of my little pony or adventure time or uncle grandpa or regular show or steven universe that is all it is,they are just jealous that spongebob has made it bigger and to great of a ladder for those kinds of cartoons to climb and reach towards to try to compete with spongebob when they know they can't.

Sweat

Banished
todd phillips said:
all this is not true in spongebob it's all the jealous people that rather watch any version of my little pony or adventure time or uncle grandpa or regular show or steven universe that is all it is,they are just jealous that spongebob has made it bigger and to great of a ladder for those kinds of cartoons to climb and reach towards to try to compete with spongebob when they know they can't.
2 things:
  • It's not jealous people who keep saying it. It's people who hate cartoons altogether.
  • Did you just say it's not true? Even if SpongeBob WAS gay, would you still watch it?

Back