SpongeBob & Homosexuality

Sweat

Banished
TheSlash-BringingHasher said:
Make point of view:SB is a show that is especialy for kids.I never would think they would put something that contraversial in a kids show.
Well the thing is, homosexuality SHOULDN'T be controversial, so if they did put homosexuality in the show, I'd be 100% okay with it.

Sweat

Banished
TheSlash-BringingHasher said:
It wouldn't mind ethier but how would kids react to the topic?
It depends on how the parents teach them about homosexuality.

Squidina

Tintenfisch
I consider SB a pretty innocent series, to he honest. SpongeBob as a character teaches a lot of good things about tolerance and being who you are, doing your best even if you fail or others shake their heads.

There are other things to complain about rather than whether or not SB is gay. But, most of the cartoons or whatever that I like have been accused of this or that.. with homosexuality being a popular topic one way or another.

But, ask any kid who watches the show if there's anything they find uncomfortable or whatever about the show, and I doubt many of the target audience are going to mention SB liking guys too much.

I've heard that the target audience of those ages actually don't like too many romantic themes period - so, I'd guess that's also a big reason that romance in general doesn't play much of a role in the series.

In short, I agree with the points mentioned in the original post, and think those were all very well thought out and make a lot of sense.

BaconUnicornsAndSpongeBob

New comment on a old topic passing by...

But seriously. Even though I ship Spandy (and always will) I'm like 88.9% sure any ship won't happen on the show. Unless it's for comedy, but I still don't think they'd do that. I'm fine with the show the way it is, Spandy or not. All that matters is that the show is still contact and doesn't become a love-show drama thing.

Spider-man

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Spongebob being in love always puzzled me. He loves everyone regardless of what gender they are. That's why everyone loves Spongebob and why he's ultimately my favorite character of the show.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
I know Spongebob isn't gay, but I'm just going to say....

the fact that Spongebob is an effeminate male and ALSO the show's protagonist, and is portrayed as a kind person and nothing less than a great role model for kids, is awesome.

the fact that there was an episode about Spongebob and Patrick raising a kid together- with same sex parents portrayed as any other parents- is awesome.

Back