SpongeBob Home Video Thread

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Happy Easter everyone :)! I'm just gonna get right to the point. This thread will just be about talking about the SpongeBob DVD's that you own. Anything from DVD's, to Blu-Rays, to very old VHS cassetes, (Which are old and cannot hold up to DVD's in my opinion). So yeah, I'll start off.

I'm gonna be honest, I do not think I've never owned any of the DVD's, well, at least I don't think I have :P. When I was 7, I remember watching the same episode repeatedly, which was The Sponge Who Could Fly, and I thought it was Nick was airing the episode alot, but thinking about it, it might have been the VHS of the episode, but I can't remember. My parents probably bought it for us, that is, if they even bought the thing of course :P, if they did, its definitly our family's only SpongeBob DVD/VHS. I find it very strange that we have more Fairly OddParents DVD's than SB ones.

Due to that long story, let me restate what the thread is about. Talk about the SpongeBob DVD's or Blu-Rays, or VHS tapes you own, and talk about how the picture quality is, (if you want), The positives, negatives, just anything really :) If you want to talk about bonus features do so, but make sure to put a spolier tag for those ;)

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
I used to only own The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie on DVD, but throughout the past year I’ve been buying mid 2000s DVDs because I want to see Season 2 episodes in their original colouring. The ones I’ve got right now are:
Lost at Sea
Tide and Seek
SpongeBob Goes Prehistoric
SpongeGuard on Duty
Home Sweet Pineapple

With The Seacape Capers and Fear of a Krabby Patty having been ordered from TradeMe and coming soon.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
I used to only own The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie on DVD, but throughout the past year I’ve been buying mid 2000s DVDs because I want to see Season 2 episodes in their original colouring. The ones I’ve got right now are:
Lost at Sea
Tide and Seek
SpongeGuard on Duty
Home Sweet Pineapple
With The Seacape Capers and Fear of a Krabby Patty having been ordered from TradeMe and coming soon.

I think that the Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies DVD has correct coloring for the Season 2 episodes on there as well, but I cannot determine how much it costs.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
I think that the Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies DVD has correct coloring for the Season 2 episodes on there as well, but I cannot determine how much it costs.
Probably around $10-15. Then again, it’s a 16 year old DVD, so most of the dics might’ve unfortunately aged by now. I wonder if Nickelodeon will turn into Disney with their home release tactics, making higher quality releases every generation or so to satisfy consumers.
Also if this thread covers the broad aspect of home video, maybe the thread should be called “SpongeBob Home Video Thread”.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Probably around $10-15. Then again, it’s a 16 year old DVD, so most of the dics might’ve unfortunately aged by now. I wonder if Nickelodeon will turn into Disney with their home release tactics, making higher quality releases every generation or so to satisfy consumers.
Also if this thread covers the broad aspect of home video, maybe the thread should be called “SpongeBob Home Video Thread”.

Yeah, Nickelodeon needs to be making satisfactory video releases to make the customers feel like they are paying for what they want, and yes, I will change the title right now :).
Sorry for the double-post everyone, but you can talk about SB DVD's from other countries other than the U.S., like for example, the German Season 2 boxset or something.

Ellie Williams

Moby Dollar
I've been collecting since I was either 4 or 5 years old around 2009ish but so far I have...

1. Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies.
2. Where's Gary.
3. Fear of a Krabby Patty.
4. Lost in Time.
5. Absorbing Favorites.
6. Sea Stories.
7. Tide and Seek.
8. Tales from the Deep.
9. Christmas.
10. Lost at Sea.
11. Halloween.
12. The Seascape Capers.
13. Sponge for Hire.
14. Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay.
15. Who Bob What Pants.
16. The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
17. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of Water.

I think that's all I have so far.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Do you guys think Nick will re-release the Season DVD's at some point, with the episodes still remastered and cleaned up in terms of picture qaulity as usual, but without the S2, 4, and 6 coloring errors, and without the blur and faded color in episodes like Bummer Vacation, and Best Frenimies? (Seriously those episodes are pale for some reason on DVD, yet when they air on Nick, they look a lot better. I don't have the DVD but I saw this site's Pictures section and noticed).

Klu

Moby Dollar
LARRY22 said:
Do you guys think Nick will re-release the Season DVD's at some point, with the episodes still remastered and cleaned up in terms of picture qaulity as usual, but without the S2, 4, and 6 coloring errors, and without the blur and faded color in episodes like Bummer Vacation, and Best Frenimies? (Seriously those episodes are pale for some reason on DVD, yet when they air on Nick, they look a lot better. I don't have the DVD but I saw this site's Pictures section and noticed).
I kinda doubt it. If this issue not fixed in various thematic DVDs and "The First 100 Episodes", why it would be fixed in future re-releases?

LARRY22

Giant Clam
I kinda doubt it. If this issue not fixed in various thematic DVDs and "The First 100 Episodes", why it would be fixed in future re-releases?

True :P I should have thought about how it was not fixed in the stand-alone DVDs.

SunsetTheStupid

Part Computer or Something
So all I have is DVD's. In case you're wondering, I'm ordering these in when I got them. :D
I have:
The Pilot, A Mini-Movie, and The Square Shorts
The Adventures of SpongeBob SquarePants
Season 1
Season 2
Sponge for Hire
Season 8
Season 3
A Spongebob Christmas!

BitBob PixelPants

Frozen Cephalopod
Well for starters, I have every NTSC DVD, I'm currently working on the PAL DVDs. I pretty much have every VHS Tape not including undersea antics, so yeah. I pretty much have a huge Collecton when it comes to hone video

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Does every episode currently have a PAL copy released? I know the episodes in the Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies DVD boxset are PAL copies. Just to let you all know, PAL copies are raw copies from official studios, and they usually have cleaner picture quality.

I noticed that a few Season 4 episodes look not only bright, but a little faded on their Season 4 boxset, like Bummer Vacation, Wigstruck, Best Frenimies, and All that Glitters, yet when they air on Nickelodeon, they look perfectly fine. At least with the S2 boxset, only the yellows are affected, but with these 4 episodes on the S4 boxset, every color is affected, and SpongeBob is even more pale than he is on the S2 DVD.

Compare:
hbQvRG.png

qr3LNt.png

jvEooO.png

ZmY48u.png

weUWbb.png

QlKskv.png

j5IvB2.png

auBA3K.png

Is it possible that there are other DVDs without the problem for those episodes specifically, for example, does the Whale of a Birthday DVD have the problem for All that Glitters?

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Is it possible that there are other DVDs without the problem for those episodes specifically, for example, does the Whale of a Birthday DVD have the problem for All that Glitters?
I haven‘t gotten any Season 4 DVDs yet for proofsies, but that’s my next goal once I finish fishing out old DVDs with Season 2 episodes on them.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
The Season 9 DVD cover based on online pictures looks really nice :), with the jellyfish floating around. I believe it was released in October. Do the episodes on the S9 DVD play in 1080p, or do they only play in 480p and only the S9 Blu-Ray (which hasn't been released yet) will play 1080p?

Back