Movie News Sponge On The Run headed to Netflix outside of US

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff

Paramount inks a deal to send the new Spongebob Squarepants film to Netflix in most places around the world.

Even with cinemas reopening, there’s some question marks over whether every movie currently on the release schedules will make it to the big screen. Certainly a growing number of family releases look like they’re going the other way. We’ve already seen Trolls World Tour and Scoob! eschew a theatrical release in favour of a video on demand debut. Now it appears that the new Spongebob Squarepants film will be going down that path too.

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run has been lined up for release this summer, but Paramount has now announced that – in the US at least – the movie will be going to premium video on demand services in early 2021.

UPDATE: And now we learn that Paramount has sold distribution rights to the film outside of the US to Netflix. The deal doesn’t cover America, China and Canada, but does cover the UK. As such, Netflix will debut the movie on its service early next year as things stand.

TattleTale Strangler

Normality Impaired
All the shows/movies I want to watch on Netflix are locked to countries outside the U.S. and it's a pain. Might just end up getting a VPN and plugging that into my Apple TV just so I can watch things on Netflix. @__@

Back