Spandy: Improbable But Not Impossible

Are You For It?

• Total voters

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
i'm honestly nervous. Anti-shippers will have my head before the Super Bowl starts...

Okay... So I am here to tell everyone MY view of this ship. Unfortunately, it's not as silly as E.V.I.L's Squidiam topic. I wish so, but I digress. Feel free to agree, feel free to disagree. I just want to see what other members feel about my view of the ship, and maybe, in some way, some of you change your view of this ship, but feel free to stick to your opinion if you want. Also: I am not trying to list the "hints" for this ship like those crazy super-shippers and I am not forcing people to support this ship! This is just something I felt like doing, so enjoy!

Okay, now that that's out of the way, now to actually talk about this ship. Spandy is easily one of the most popular SpongeBob ships as well as the least popular ship. Many advocate it whole-heartedly (the fanfic site is FULL of them) and others completely despise it. I sort of took the middle route. I am OPEN to the ship and will welcome it when it ever becomes canon, but it won't bother me if it never happens. Based on their status as friends and the way they behave, the two CAN get together, but it most likely won't happen, hence the title of the topic. I will kinda elaborate based on the show.

First off, let me make a quick overview of their friendship status. SpongeBob acts friendly to everyone in Bikini Bottom, no matter who and no matter how they react to such affection. That's no exception to Sandy, who is obviously the outsider in the series. It seems like Sandy took a liking (not romantically but friendly) to SpongeBob right away and vice versa. Without really realizing it, Sandy has sort of a soft spot for SpongeBob. For example, such episodes like Pre-Hibernation Week and Karate Island show that Sandy would risk a lot to make sure SpongeBob is okay, like friends typically do. She also seems indifferent on every other guy on the show. Sandy and Squidward rarely speak to each other and Patrick is usually only around when SpongeBob drags him along. As for Larry, Sandy doesn't see him as necessarily attractive, but rather a guy she just hangs out within the gym because SpongeBob is too weak. If she did like him, she'd join the troupe of girls staring and stalking him at Goo Lagoon. The only person Sandy seems to be holding an emotional attachment to is SpongeBob. Rarely anyone makes her laugh or soften up except for SpongeBob, so he obviously impacted her life underwater to the point she cares for him the most out of everyone in Bikini Bottom.

Because she doesn't seem so important to the writers, we don't know much about Sandy's past nor her home life is like in Texas. We don't know if she has a boyfriend/husband or anyone who she's romantically attached to. She's the only main character to not fall in love in the show as of now, which unfortunately doesn't rule out the possibility that she's already taken by another squirrel we never knew about. Spandy shippers, honestly including me, tend to assume both are single and inexperienced in romance and crushes. Sandy seems strong enough to ignore her teenage hormones to focus on being a scientist, which is ideally what I thought of and can relate to and SpongeBob is a child at heart, so obviously he doesn't really feel full on romance, at least not yet. Their inexperience, if that IS the case, can potentially explain why the beans have yet to be spilled.

Also, to think that Sandy climbed up to be SpongeBob's other best friend so quickly is a pleasant surprise. The only other people SpongeBob considers BEST friends are Patrick and Squidward, both of whom SpongeBob seems to have known for a long time (Patrick since they were babies and Squidward since he first moved in). To think Sandy got up there so quickly says a lot about how they like and care for each other as friends. In my opinion, the most loving, caring romantic relationships start out this way because the two partners know each other so well and care about each other enough to move on to the next level. This is just me stating that SpongeBob and Sandy CAN get together for this reason, because they got along so well and so quickly.

As for the series itself, there are hints on both SpongeBob and Sandy's parts that can signify at the very least a minor puppy love crush. SpongeBob is still immature, but he's grown enough to understand the adult life. For example, in the movie, SpongeBob admits to being an immature kid, which ironically was a very mature thing to do :P. Due to Sandy's lack of screen time in the movie, their status is sort of open to interpretation. Also, SpongeBob seems to want to get married, proven in Club SpongeBob when he asks the Magic Conch so, which shows that SpongeBob isn't completely asexual, but rather just too immature to get into any relationships as of the show's timeline (or lack thereof). We don't know for sure what will happen when he eventually does mature. The only girl he talks to regularly is Sandy, so she can be the first girl SpongeBob may turn to when he does start maturing. As for hints on Sandy's part, the way she risks her life for SpongeBob shows that she cares for him a lot, and the fact she gets along with him more than any other guy in Bikini Bottom can mean that she can potentially fall for SpongeBob if she ever does or if she hasn't already.

Also, as much as I support the ship, kids are a big no-no, unless an alternative other than direct mating occurs.
At the epilogue of From Hero To Legend, SpongeBob adopts a baby squirrel during a Krusty Krab business trip on land and buds a baby sponge soon after so SpongeBob and Sandy can experience the blessings of parenthood without needing to mate

My view of Spandy is that they are great friends, probably as ideal, if not, more ideal than SpongeBob and Patrick, that can potentially eventually evolve into something more. In past topics, me saying that I hope that there will be a Spandy episode is a joke. None of the above are facts, but rather observations that can serve as an openly interpretive foreshadowing of what can possibly happen after the show really ends. Speaking of the show's ending, the finale seems to be THE BEST place to make this ship canon. No finale is complete without something MAJOR happening to the main character or characters. Nothing is cuter or more appropriate than an epilogue of a finale that features the main character's life thereafter. If this never happens, at least let SpongeBob and Sandy remain friends forever, because their caring for each other is really cute and emotionally appealing (at least for me) either way. The ship cannot be ruled out entirely unless one or the other falls for another individual. For now, I'll accept the puppy love hints, for they are still cute too. :)

Feel free to add anything and give your opinion without completely bashing me.

DiabolicalGenius

Mad Scientist/ Evil Genius
Culture Shock: Sandy to Gary: "Oh... He has such a way with words..." Also, she seems to like Patrick too.
Also, I don't think SpongeBob ever will mature. Rember, no continuity, and the (first) movie is set after the series and he isn't like that with Sandy in it. I don't think it's going to work out. Now Splankton is where it's at. :p (Definitely jk)

MadFred

ooooooofy day
DiabolicalGenius said:
Culture Shock: Sandy to Gary: "Oh... He has such a way with words..." Also, she seems to like Patrick too.
i don't know, she's pretty annoyed at Patrick in I Had an Accident.

Kerststol

Amyroos
Why post this on The Dump? The Spandy ship is a part of SpongeBob's fandom, too. Or maybe since it's not a part of the show, we aren't allowed to talk about this in the SpongeBob sub-forum.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
1. The first point I will make is that I'm not counting it out. Romantic showings between main characters generally come around near the end of the movie/series. For example, Jimmy Neutron ends with Jimmy kissing Cindy. Danny Phantom ends with Danny getting accepted by society and Sam dating him. And we don't really know when SpongeBob will stop but as far as I'm concerned, we still have the 2nd movie to play and a possible 10th season. Now we all know the 1st movie supposedly took place after the series and Sandy got a small role. Possibly, the writers just don't want to give away any clue to a future relationship between the 2 so they gave Sandy a very minor role. So yeah, it's possible.

2. As for the intention of Sandy the character, I always thought she was first designed to be SpongeBob's love interest. Ripped Pants proved this. It was a very early episode and we got a massive hint over SpongeBob having a sweet puppy crush on her. But then the writers realised that "love" could distract SpongeBob's childish nature, so decided to stick with the 2 as friends only.

3. Do they have crushes on each other? On SpongeBob's side very likely. I mean when I was a 5th grader I had a crush on this girl (who is now my legitimate GF). Stuff I did? Bring her flowers, do things I genuinely don't like but she likes with her, be as close as a friend as possible and in a lot of circumstances, try to prove that I'm manly. This is always the case with SpongeBob in front of Sandy. But on Sandy's side, I'm not sure. Apart from some hinty episodes, we never actually see her showing genuine crush hints. However, she is a girl. And from experience, I can tell you that females hide emotions very neatly.

4. And finally, my view on the shipping itself. To me, the chemistry between the 2 characters is cute enough so I don't think adding "love" would be necessary. Sandy is SpongeBob's "big sister" figure. She's always there to help, she always knows whats what and SpongeBob very highly appreciates that. It's good enough.

I have nothing against Spandy, but I'm not supporting it. If it happened for real (let's say a very possible Kim Possible-Ron Stoppable style last minute hook-up in the 2nd movie) I wouldn't be bothered.

MadFred

ooooooofy day
SpongeRoadie UK said:
The first point I will make is that I'm not counting it out. Romantic showings between main characters generally come around near the end of the movie/series. For example, Jimmy Neutron ends with Jimmy kissing Cindy. Danny Phantom ends with Danny getting accepted by society and Sam dating him.
There's a big difference. Jimmy and Danny are represented as teenagers, that have enough problems with being popular, bullies and all of that stuff. So crushes are likely to happen.

But, spongebob is immature, and he likes everyone. I think he should stay like that. I mean, look at Rock-a-Bye Bivalve: The whole joke of the episode is about Spongebob getting mature and making a family. And since it's a joke, it shouldn't happen as a serious feature of the series.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
Ohad said:
There's a big difference. Jimmy and Danny are represented as teenagers, that have enough problems with being popular, bullies and all of that stuff. So crushes are likely to happen.

But, spongebob is immature, and he likes everyone. I think he should stay like that. I mean, look at Rock-a-Bye Bivalve: The whole joke of the episode is about Spongebob getting mature and making a family. And since it's a joke, it shouldn't happen as a serious feature of the series.
Crushes happen when you see a person you'd like to date. No matter the difference between life issues or personality.

And yes, SpongeBob should stay the way he is (read my 4th point).

SBManiac!!!!!!

welp bye lol
That One Random Boss said:
Also, as much as I support the ship, kids are a big no-no, unless an alternative other than direct mating occurs.
Aw, no cross-species sexy times? :(

lol, jk (obviously)

Personally, I'm neutral on shipping in general. I prefer match-ups made within the series than those created by fans because fanon ships often turn out to be pretty random and creepy...or maybe I'm thinking of slash pairings. Also, shipping wars in fandoms can get really hardcore, which is yet another big turnoff for me when it comes to pairing two characters together.
Either way, if a shipping does make it into a show, I honestly wouldn't mind as long as the characters remain themselves and it doesn't detract too much from the main themes and stories of the show. This is why I very much agree with both you and Roadie.
Also, I always thought the pairing between SpongeBob and Sandy was cute. They're probably more compatible than any other pairing in the show (except maybe Plankton/Karen, but they're already married @_@) and Sandy's the only female character in the main cast anyway, so why not? Whether it would actually work in the show is up for debate. I honestly think it wouldn't as the show is a bit too silly for real romance in my opinion, but it could work well enough for a movie or series finale.

EDIT: Yeah, why isn't this in the SpongeBob sub-forum?

OWM

XD
Now I'm getting these images in my head of sponge/squirrel hybrids...

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
I also want to add that maybe a simple comedic kiss will satisfy the shippers enough so they don't bother nor obsess with it anymore. For example, kissing under a mistletoe, a dare kiss, or an in-the-moment celebratory kiss. They are just kisses that can potentially be handled comically and without the need to make the two a couple. This can also be applied to Spandy because it's appropriate and doesn't revolutionize the show, leaving it kid-friendly. This was just sort of a suggestion.

RedSoxFan274

Baseball. Hockey. SBM vet. I drop in unexpectedly.
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said, except I'm not bothered by those fics where the two do have children by mating.

I especially agree that the writers could satisfy us by going just a liiiiiiiiiittle further than they already have (the love note, the fake wedding in Truth or Square, etc.) with something such as a minor kiss and then leaving it at that. While I think that's unrealistic, I think that would be the best way to go about it.

One other thing: I think this topic would be better titled "Spandy: Improbable But Not Impossible." :)

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
I'm just going to say this now. If this topic turns into a picture-fest like Squilliard, I'm closing it. This is an awesome topic so far because of the great replies we have supporting or not supporting the idea. Keep it up :)

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
RedSoxFan274 said:
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said, except I'm not bothered by those fics where the two do have children by mating.

I especially agree that the writers could satisfy us by going just a liiiiiiiiiitle further than they already have (the love note, the fake wedding in Truth or Square, etc.) with something such as a minor kiss and then leaving it at that. While I think that's unrealistic, I think that would be the best way to go about it.

One other thing: I think this topic would be better titled "Spandy: Improbable But Not Impossible." :)
Done!

Also, about the kids thing, I'm only bothered by furry sponges with tails and ears. Yellow squirrels don't really bother me as much. I think the best way that won't freak/gross anybody out is an alternative.

Patrick-Man!

Floating Shopping List
i really like this topic and i really agree. while it most likely wont happen, id love if it did and idk any possibility could happen. but id love if they threw more hints here and there..alright i dont want to get TO weird but yes i agree with this topic

Squidina

Tintenfisch
Is have to say I like the idea of SB harboring a schoolboy type crush on her, and I could see her even returning it - but for it to be practical.. I dunno... I guess I entertain the thought of a series finale showing pics of what happened to various characters in 5-10 yrs or so, and mentioning something about SB and Sandy being together (or even just a cute under-the-mistletoe type kiss).
I am, without a doubt, a fan of cute romances... and I'd be for Spandy. Thinking about them having kids... I don't know about that one, lol! I think both would make good parents someday.. for example, how SB took care of the Scallop (that episode was so hilarious, just saying)..

I'd guess that's better left to fanfic, rather than done in the series... (But a good fanfic.. SB is plagued with horribly written fanfic, from what be seen on FF.net.)

In short, I'm for Spandy. If its done in series somehow, then cool, long as they keep it toned down and don't comprmise the charas or show.
(I am aware that the creators said they weren't going to go there w/ SB though.)

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
Squidina said:
Is have to say I like the idea of SB harboring a schoolboy type crush on her, and I could see her even returning it - but for it to be practical.. I dunno... I guess I entertain the thought of a series finale showing pics of what happened to various characters in 5-10 yrs or so, and mentioning something about SB and Sandy being together (or even just a cute under-the-mistletoe type kiss).
I am, without a doubt, a fan of cute romances... and I'd be for Spandy. Thinking about them having kids... I don't know about that one, lol! I think both would make good parents someday.. for example, how SB took care of the Scallop (that episode was so hilarious, just saying)..

I'd guess that's better left to fanfic, rather than done in the series... (But a good fanfic.. SB is plagued with horribly written fanfic, from what be seen on FF.net.)

In short, I'm for Spandy. If its done in series somehow, then cool, long as they keep it toned down and don't comprmise the charas or show.
(I am aware that the creators said they weren't going to go there w/ SB though.)
Exactly my points. :) Finale is the best place because the writers don't need to worry about changing anything about the show thereafter.

Also, I agree that both SpongeBob and Sandy make great parents if I do say so myself. SpongeBob provides entertainment and comfort and Sandy the discipline, knowledge and fierce protection necessary to harbor a child. I also agree that fanfics are mostly terrible. A lot of the Spandy ones are amazing though.

Squidina

Tintenfisch
Exactly my points. :) Finale is the best place because the writers don't need to worry about changing anything about the show thereafter.

Also, I agree that both SpongeBob and Sandy make great parents if I do say so myself. SpongeBob provides entertainment and comfort and Sandy the discipline, knowledge and fierce protection necessary to harbor a child. I also agree that fanfics are mostly terrible. A lot of the Spandy ones are amazing though.

Hehe, exactly my reasonings!

There are good Spandy fanfics? I'd love to read some. As said, most of what I've seen are badly written.. or you get those jerks who're just making fun of it BY purposely writing crap. (I'll admit that I haven't sought specifically Spandy fics, though.)

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
Squidina said:
Hehe, exactly my reasonings!

There are good Spandy fanfics? I'd love to read some. As said, most of what I've seen are badly written.. or you get those jerks who're just making fun of it BY purposely writing crap. (I'll admit that I haven't sought specifically Spandy fics, though.)
Unfortunately, some of the best ones were deleted or incomplete.

Here are some of the better ones that are completed:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7637032/1/Sixty-Spandy-Shots (All realistic and mature)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3270232/1/We-are-Meant-to-be-or-so-I-Hope (Tearjerker)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5097577/1/Trapped (VERY romantic)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5161260/1/Count-Spongeula (Better than Twilight)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5592992/1/A-Stuffed-Animal-for-Sandy (Sweet and realistic)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6274192/1/Something-s-Wrong (Start at Chapter 3)(Dark and sad)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7375844/1/The-Muscle-Mounters-Competition (VERY finale-worthy)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7205439/1/The-Island (Also very romantic)

I hope this doesn't count as spam. These are the fanfics I can't stop reading. Spandy in general opens my mind to new ways they can get together. Most of these fics are too romantic for the actual show, but the stories themselves were great.

Back