Spandy: Improbable But Not Impossible

Are You For It?

• Total voters

Squidina

Tintenfisch
Unfortunately, some of the best ones were deleted or incomplete.

Here are some of the better ones that are completed:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7637032/1/Sixty-Spandy-Shots (All realistic and mature)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3270232/1/We-are-Meant-to-be-or-so-I-Hope (Tearjerker)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5097577/1/Trapped (VERY romantic)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5161260/1/Count-Spongeula (Better than Twilight)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5592992/1/A-Stuffed-Animal-for-Sandy (Sweet and realistic)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6274192/1/Something-s-Wrong (Start at Chapter 3)(Dark and sad)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7375844/1/The-Muscle-Mounters-Competition (VERY finale-worthy)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7205439/1/The-Island (Also very romantic)

I hope this doesn't count as spam. These are the fanfics I can't stop reading. Spandy in general opens my mind to new ways they can get together. Most of these fics are too romantic for the actual show, but the stories themselves were great.

Thank you very much! I just read Trapped, and quite enjoyed it. Can't wait to get to the others.

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
Squidina said:
Thank you very much! I just read Trapped, and quite enjoyed it. Can't wait to get to the others.
Ah, yes. Trapped was a nice story. Everyone was in character despite the heavy romance.

More

VIP
I guess my topic already existed, and was merged with this one.

stripedsweater

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I don't ship Spandy but I don't hate or dislike anyone who does. I respect their opinions. Personally, I think SpongeBob should stay asexual because I feel that a romance would ruin the point of the show but that's just me.

Growlie

Best Boy
Ummm, we're talking about a land squirrel, and a sea sponge. I don't think
that it'll happen. Maybe SpongeBob will find another sponge, I'm all
for that.

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
for that.

You shouldn't rule out the possibility, but as I said, it most likely won't happen. Based on your reason, the difference in species shouldn't matter. Plankton fell for Mr. Krabs' mom and Mr. Krabs fell for Mrs. Puff. Though the relationships didn't last, they happened on the actual show. Plus with the hints and chemistry, it CAN happen. I'm not telling you or anyone to change your opinion on the ship, but just stating that it's Improbable but not Impossible, hence the title of the topic! :P

Growlie

Best Boy
That One Random Boss said:
You shouldn't rule out the possibility, but as I said, it most likely won't happen. Based on your reason, the difference in species shouldn't matter. Plankton fell for Mr. Krabs' mom and Mr. Krabs fell for Mrs. Puff. Though the relationships didn't last, they happened on the actual show. Plus with the hints and chemistry, it CAN happen. I'm not telling you or anyone to change your opinion on the ship, but just stating that it's Improbable but not Impossible, hence the title of the topic! :P
Thanks, but I'm not big on sipping.

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
stripedsweater said:
I don't ship Spandy but I don't hate or dislike anyone who does. I respect their opinions. Personally, I think SpongeBob should stay asexual because I feel that a romance would ruin the point of the show but that's just me.
I see Spandy as a finale-worthy ship. At that point, the point of the show won't matter anymore since it's ending.

Growlie said:
Thanks, but I'm not big on sipping.
I'm not very big on shipping either. Spandy's basically the only ship I legit defend/debate about. I'm indifferent on basically every other ship. I also can't deny that since it's not canon, it's a fun ship to experiment with, hence my fanfic From Hero To Legend.

More

VIP
I actually drew another sponge named SpongeBecca. I am planning to use her in an episode I may be making up. It will be paired with another that I have the idea for (It involves a cell phone)

Reply to growlie

Also I'm leaning towards Spandy, but I'll be fine if it doesn't happen.

for that.

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
More_Spongebob said:
I actually drew another sponge named SpongeBecca. I am planning to use her in an episode I may be making up. It will be paired with another that I have the idea for (It involves a cell phone)

Reply to growlie

Also I'm leaning towards Spandy, but I'll be fine if it doesn't happen.
That's exactly my view of Spandy. And also, SpongeBob falling for another sponge seems unappealing and the female sponge would most likely be a Mary Sue because of how late it is in the series, despite lack of timeline/continuity. She may also be a one-timer/appear only in the finale type. But that's based on the actual show. Fanfics with a female sponge are honestly kinda cute depending on the OC sponge's personality. That's why so many people lean more towards Spandy, because we see Sandy so much that we're a lot more used to her.

Don't let my comment discourage your story. I'd love to read it when you finish. :)

More

VIP
My story also includes Sandy. It's not just to love a Patty with the Patty replaced by her.

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
More_Spongebob said:
My story also includes Sandy. It's not just to love a Patty with the Patty replaced by her.
Interesting. I always thought in my head whenever I watched To Love A Patty to replace Patty with Sandy. Also, with Sandy in your story, there may be some tension. Interesting if you think about it.

Pyreflies of MJ

Imitation Krab
To be honest, I think I'd prefer Spongebob to not have any romantic interests at all, but if he did, I'd want it to be Squidward. And don't anybody tell me there's no support for this paring in the series because there totally is, even if it's just one-sided.

I want Spongebob to either be asexual(and there are many variants of this), homosexual or bi, but not straight. That's just too boring and "normal" for him. While some crazies have caused hoopla at the prospect of a children's cartoon character being gay - even if this just means crushing on another character of the same gender, (what a travesty, the world will explode!) I think it'd be totally awesome and refreshing.

Also, I don't care too much for Sandy and I'm glad she's not as central as the rest of the cast.

stripedsweater

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Pyreflies of MJ said:
To be honest, I think I'd prefer Spongebob to not have any romantic interests at all, but if he did, I'd want it to be Squidward. And don't anybody tell me there's no support for this paring in the series because there totally is, even if it's just one-sided.

I want Spongebob to either be asexual(and there are many variants of this), homosexual or bi, but not straight. That's just too boring and "normal" for him. While some crazies have caused hoopla at the prospect of a children's cartoon character being gay - even if this just means crushing on another character of the same gender, (what a travesty, the world will explode!) I think it'd be totally awesome and refreshing.

Also, I don't care too much for Sandy and I'm glad she's not as central as the rest of the cast.
You're not alone. I also haven't watched many of the newer episodes because for a while I was in a "I'm too old for SpongeBob" phase. (Although that certainly isn't true.)

Anyway, if you want to see AYHN just look it up on Youtube. I warn you though, it has some rather..dark humor. (Plainly shown suicide jokes)

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
Pyreflies of MJ said:

SpongeBob crushing on Squidward would be a longshot. The risk would be really high because of the controversy and hate it would bring, proven so by Rock-a-Bye-Bivalve. Sure it would excite some people, but it would turn off/disturb/gross out/freak out a large majority of fans. Also, Squidward is most likely straight. He dated a female squid named Squilvia in season 7 episode Love That Squid. SpongeBob shouldn't fall in love in the middle of the series, which is why I think he should fall in love in the finale. Also, SpongeBob is most likely straight, but immature, proven so in episodes like To Love A Patty, in which SpongeBob falls for a Krabby Patty and made it a her, in Truth or Square with the fake Spandy wedding, and Club SpongeBob where he asked the Magic Conch is would ever get married. I'm not stating facts, but rather interpreted observations. I understand that straight pairs can get boring, but in a society like this, it's almost like writers are forced to go with straight pairs.

Pyreflies of MJ

Imitation Krab
That One Random Boss said:
SpongeBob crushing on Squidward would be a longshot. The risk would be really high because of the controversy and hate it would bring, proven so by Rock-a-Bye-Bivalve. Sure it would excite some people, but it would turn off/disturb/gross out/freak out a large majority of fans. Also, Squidward is most likely straight. He dated a female squid named Squilvia in season 7 episode Love That Squid. SpongeBob shouldn't fall in love in the middle of the series, which is why I think he should fall in love in the finale. Also, SpongeBob is most likely straight, but immature, proven so in episodes like To Love A Patty, in which SpongeBob falls for a Krabby Patty and made it a her, in Truth or Square with the fake Spandy wedding, and Club SpongeBob where he asked the Magic Conch is would ever get married. I'm not stating facts, but rather interpreted observations. I understand that straight pairs can get boring, but in a society like this, it's almost like writers are forced to go with straight pairs.

I think Spongebob's sexuality was created to be deliberately ambiguous and his character to be deliberately queer, (not in the sense of him being gay) in the sense that he does not ascribe to any social gender roles or stereotypes. Spongebob is already what would be considered queer in our society, and if he was an actual person he'd likely be ostracized for being too feminine as an adult male.

Therefore, it seems absurd to me that fans would be outraged over him being gay. While I doubt it would happen, I think it's something that needs to happen because children should be exposed to gay couples and should be taught that it's completely okay and nothing to be ashamed of from the get go. I know our society isn't quite there yet, but I wish it were. I think people need to be freaked out, because after the shock more of them will realize that there's actually nothing to freak out about.

As far as the context of the show goes, there are a lot of scenes that suggest Spongebob has already been crushing on Squidward since the beginning. His obsession with Squid actually gets creepy sometimes, what with him creating a perfect replica of the interior of his home and all. His eagerness for Squid's approval and companionship is pretty intense and while Spongebob has shown what could be interpreted as a mild interest in girls, I think you could argue the same for boys - albeit it's more of a subtext, though a rather blatant subtext if you ask me - especially with scenes like these:

Spongebob: Bye Squidward! Bye Mr. Krabs! [dreamily] Bye Squidward.
Patrick: You said bye to Squidward twice.
SpongeBob: I like Squidward.

Spongebob: You and me, we're like brothers. Only closer.
(This episode segues into a scene with Spongebob serving Squidward in a maid's uniform complete with high heels, and if you add that and the above quotes to every instance when Sponge has stared googily eyed and said something sappy in relation to Squid - it would seem rather obvious that Spongebob is totally gay for Squidward. As far as Squid returning the feelings, yes, that's far-fetched, but we do know that he doesn't hate Sponge like he lets on.)

The creators said he was asexual, which can mean a lot of things. He may not have any sexual attraction to either gender, but he could be capable of romantic attraction, which could still go either way or even both ways. You can be asexual and attracted to the opposite gender, same gender or both genders, but only romantically. (as opposed to an aromantic asexual - like me - who experiences neither sexual or romantic attraction)

As you've pointed out, there have been times where Spongebob has cited an interest in things like marriage and dating, so I actually think it seems most accurate to say Spongebob is biromantic asexual, which would mean he's not sexually attracted to either gender but romantically attracted to both.

Obviously, this is not a theory currently sponsored by the creators, but it's what I think makes the most sense for Spongebob - a character who seems open to loving anyone, and quite unashamed of breaking social "rules".

With that said, I don't necessarily want to see romance of any kind in this show, but I'm all for more bromance. I love the episodes where there's kinship between the boys, something I hear is missing from newer seasons, which I haven't seen yet.

Back