Show News Something I Never Noticed in Rock Bottom

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
So I was just watching Rock Bottom for my Halloween marathon tonight and I noticed this. It looks like they just superimposed SpongeBob's house onto a shot of Bikini Bottom here haha. I wonder if there are any other moments like this in the series? Though I'd imagine they'd mostly be limited to season 1 (I don't know much about animation though *shrug*)
ZEoJe6v - Imgur.jpg

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
'Twas about to say that looks like a terrible photoshop job, but I just pulled up my copy of Rock Bottom and, sure enough, it's there.

Of course, it's only noticeable for a few frames, and SpongeBob (like many cartoons) has played with its geography a number of times, as necessary. I haven't any additional examples to show now, but I know they're out there.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I don't consider continuity errors to really be a thing in SpongeBob, since the episodes have no arc (the show exists in a perpetual now). Like I said, it's just the art department playing with Bikini Bottom geography for the sake of the episode. I'm less surprised by that than the fact that SpongeBob's pineapple is so poorly pasted onto the default downtown graphic.

The loose geography I noted above most often comes into play on Conch Street. Depending on the episode and the shot, either Squidward's Easter Island head, Patrick's rock, or both, may be missing. Even SpongeBob's pineapple may disappear if the action is centered at one of the other houses.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Lol this is great. I enjoy the little "errors" or odd jobs they have with cel animations or even today's episodes. Makes me feel good that while they aren't perfect that they maybe consider these easter eggs themselves

Back