Some Ideas :D

Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick

Developer of Awesomeness

6,182 posts
$988 doubloons
I've heard about a lot of talk about how SBM can improve, so I have gathered a bunch of different ideas and decided to post about them. Given how I am a staff member over at SBC, it comes as to no surprise that some members would ask me for my opinion on certain things. I did give feedback, but these ideas are purely from other SBM members.

A lot of these ideas comes from members being frustrated over a few things. What I'll do is give the idea, explain why it was proposed, and elaborate based on what I have heard.

1. One idea that was suggested is to create an election-based moderator system. This was suggested over concerns of the moderating staff being inadequate due to the recent ban record (it takes too long for someone to get suspended and drama happens), apparent drama issues between moderators and members, and MIA moderators (such as PinkPearl, which I was disappointed to hear about). While I do not necessarily agree that an election-based system would work too well (it could end up as a popularity contest), I do love the idea of holding moderators accountable. Perhaps it could be a bi-annual poll (twice a year) where members can vote on their satisfaction of the current moderating staff and give some feedback. This way, if a moderator isn't doing their job or members think that a moderator is being unfair, they have an official way of letting the admins know. I might even bring the idea over to SBC honestly because it sounds like a good idea.
  2. Another idea is to remove DMAP as an admin. I think this is self-explanatory: she hasn't been around at all.
  3. Some of the clip mods have asked for a new system for adding clips because the current system is inefficient. One idea is to expand the role of clip mods to "content mods" where they are solely in charge of the content on the main site. This alleviates some of the undue stress on the admins and allows admins to focus on things that are important to the site, such as hosting management and features.
  4. A staff restructure: 2 admins, 4 forum mods, and 2 content mods. This idea was proposed because some members feel that the current staff is unbalanced. These members feel that we don't need more than 2 admins, we definitely need 4 forum mods, and 2 content mods seemed fair. Just an idea.
  5. An improvement to the rules would help a lot with the drama. It would be nice if the rules were clear cut about consequences, such as first warning = warning, second warning = 1 day suspension, etc., and specify what is not allowed directly (e.g. spamming, hateful language, doxing, creating multiple accounts, being off topic, double posting, etc.). This way, the mods can cite the rule and say that everyone knows the consequences for doing something, and then nobody can say "Well that's unfair!!!!" because the consequences were fully established.
  6. At the very least, if SBM v7 is difficult to make, can a new skin be made on IPB 3 and call it v6.1? A bit of variety would help, as some members feel that SBM looks outdated.
Anyways, these are just some ideas. I may have to steal some of them for myself. :shiftyninja:

Moxley♥

We out here in heaven, smoking big doinks in heave

895 posts
$994 doubloons
I really love the idea of that feedback poll. It gives the staff a lot of knowledge about what the members feel about our jobs. It's a good way to bring healthy discussion about what we have done wrong, or what we have done right. I think it is a more fair way to judge us.

Depressed Luigi

Banished

1,692 posts
$46 doubloons
Personally, I don't see what would be bad about having an election system, as long as certain requirements are made (for example, you have to meet the qualifications to be a staff member, you have to aualify to be allowed to vote for them, etc) and there's a way to vote them off of staff if they want. Regardless though, even if it isn't added, it should still be fine as long as the staff members are properly updated. I feel like the admins area and a little bit for the mods area could have some changes.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff member

10,954 posts

$1,960 doubloons
Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:
Some of the clip mods have asked for a new system for adding clips because the current system is inefficient. One idea is to expand the role of clip mods to "content mods" where they are solely in charge of the content on the main site. This alleviates some of the undue stress on the admins and allows admins to focus on things that are important to the site, such as hosting management and features.
We set this up for them back in February actually but just never renamed the group heh.. will confirm with them that it's all working right though

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff member

23,408 posts

$4,061 doubloons
  1. One idea that was suggested is to create an election-based moderator system. This was suggested over concerns of the moderating staff being inadequate due to the recent ban record (it takes too long for someone to get suspended and drama happens), apparent drama issues between moderators and members, and MIA moderators (such as PinkPearl, which I was disappointed to hear about). While I do not necessarily agree that an election-based system would work too well (it could end up as a popularity contest), I do love the idea of holding moderators accountable. Perhaps it could be a bi-annual poll (twice a year) where members can vote on their satisfaction of the current moderating staff and give some feedback. This way, if a moderator isn't doing their job or members think that a moderator is being unfair, they have an official way of letting the admins know. I might even bring the idea over to SBC honestly because it sounds like a good idea.
  2. Another idea is to remove DMAP as an admin. I think this is self-explanatory: she hasn't been around at all.
  3. Some of the clip mods have asked for a new system for adding clips because the current system is inefficient. One idea is to expand the role of clip mods to "content mods" where they are solely in charge of the content on the main site. This alleviates some of the undue stress on the admins and allows admins to focus on things that are important to the site, such as hosting management and features.
  4. A staff restructure: 2 admins, 4 forum mods, and 2 content mods. This idea was proposed because some members feel that the current staff is unbalanced. These members feel that we don't need more than 2 admins, we definitely need 4 forum mods, and 2 content mods seemed fair. Just an idea.
  5. An improvement to the rules would help a lot with the drama. It would be nice if the rules were clear cut about consequences, such as first warning = warning, second warning = 1 day suspension, etc., and specify what is not allowed directly (e.g. spamming, hateful language, doxing, creating multiple accounts, being off topic, double posting, etc.). This way, the mods can cite the rule and say that everyone knows the consequences for doing something, and then nobody can say "Well that's unfair!!!!" because the consequences were fully established.
  6. At the very least, if SBM v7 is difficult to make, can a new skin be made on IPB 3 and call it v6.1? A bit of variety would help, as some members feel that SBM looks outdated.
Anyways, these are just some ideas. I may have to steal some of them for myself. :shiftyninja:
1. I've never seen any good things come out of a public election for staff. I'd rather stay clear of this one. We've always just kept an eye on members and come together to collectively pick a new mod as a whole staff group. But, I did do a feedback topic last year. Always want to know when we are not doing a good job or when we are. Very rarely in employment, will your bosses let you know that you're doing a great job. Believe me when I say that a compliment will go a LONG way.

You also have to remember that no one is paid here. It's all volunteer time to be staff. O_o

2. While DMAP has been inactive, there are other ways of doing this. She's a legend. :p I will email her to see where she stands on SBM. Plus, if Spongey34 ever wanted to not be Admin, he'll let us know. He still does things.

4. Not sure where you see it being unbalanced. Mods are doing a great job, imo.

5. I asked this a while back and no one wanted an update to the rules. Why change it now?

6. Let's go back to version 1.

:coolio: Cool. I didn't know about that honestly, and I guess others didn't either.
Not everything has to be public. :p Not ragging on you, I'm just saying for the general public :dunno:

SpongeOddFan

lel

3,040 posts
$2,415 doubloons
@Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick i'm terrible at elaborate stuff like that :(

I agree this should put through.

Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick

Developer of Awesomeness

6,182 posts
$988 doubloons
ssj4gogita4 said:
1. I've never seen any good things come out of a public election for staff. I'd rather stay clear of this one. We've always just kept an eye on members and come together to collectively pick a new mod as a whole staff group. But, I did do a feedback topic last year. Always want to know when we are not doing a good job or when we are. Very rarely in employment, will your bosses let you know that you're doing a great job. Believe me when I say that a compliment will go a LONG way.

You also have to remember that no one is paid here. It's all volunteer time to be staff. O_o

2. While DMAP has been inactive, there are other ways of doing this. She's a legend. :p I will email her to see where she stands on SBM. Plus, if Spongey34 ever wanted to not be Admin, he'll let us know. He still does things.

4. Not sure where you see it being unbalanced. Mods are doing a great job, imo.

5. I asked this a while back and no one wanted an update to the rules. Why change it now?

6. Let's go back to version 1.

Not everything has to be public. :p Not ragging on you, I'm just saying for the general public :dunno:
Meh, I'm not offended. As I said, this is just a collection of ideas and not all are mine! Of course I know you're all volunteers. Of all people, I would know that. :coolio: For what I said to abney, I was also stating that I didn't know. I don't care if not everything is public! It would be silly and tedious to document every little change.

As for the mods, I'm not sure on how they're doing - I'm only going by what I have been told about them from various people. Of course, this may be the negative side of things... nobody wants to gossip about good things. I do have personal opinions about some of the mods, but that's the extent of things; nor do my own opinions make sound judgments on its own. If the mods are working out, then that's great! The biggest criticism I've heard is the slowness when it comes to banning certain people, but that's just a singular complaint and not representative of the moderators as a whole. If anything, I can say that there's an unease with others when it comes to the mods.

I wasn't aware of the rules topic. I was moving into my dorm around that time, so I wouldn't have seen it. Had I did, I would've suggested expanding the rules to be more specific. It's just an idea, though.

And yes, version 1 is master version. :thumbsup: