Nickelodeon Similarities between Spongebob & Breadwinners/Mighty B/others

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
The cartoons the Mighty B and the infamous Breadwinners take a lot of inspiration from Spongebob (sometimes maybe a little too much imo). But I've liked and watched these shows, so I know them well. Discuss similarities between Spongebob and these/other cartoons.

Also, here's a weird little challenge: Name an Episode, Character, or any other aspect of Spongebob and me or anyone else will try to find a similarity in either of these two/other cartoons. With these two cartoons at least, I've seen many similarities, so there's a good chance I'd be able to find a comparison. But when comparing shows, try not to reach too much. Make sure it's pretty similar.
EXAMPLE: Let's say someone suggests the SB episode "Shuffleboarding." I could say, "There's an episode of Breadwinners, Roboloafie, where a robot arrests everyone in town for stupid reasons. Then the jail gets filled with so many characters, it explodes! Very similar to the SB episode Shuffleboarding. Not exactly the same, but this aspect is pretty similar."

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
The Mighty B improved in season 2 like SpongeBob...?
Do you think it did?

Mighty B's animation did improve a lot from Season 1 to 2. Like SpongeBob, it went through a big animation style change from S1 to S2. Though not exactly the same. SpongeBob's change was more about the method of animation changing, where Mighty B's change was about the design.

Yoshi

Giant Clam
Do you think it did?

Mighty B's animation did improve a lot from Season 1 to 2. Like SpongeBob, it went through a big animation style change from S1 to S2. Though not exactly the same. SpongeBob's change was more about the method of animation changing, where Mighty B's change was about the design.
No, I was talking about popular opinion

Mr. What Zit Tooya

Moby Dollar
Do you think it did?

The show improved during Late S1 and changed drastically in S2, Late S2 felt very different from Early S1 in Animation and Writing.

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
The show improved during Late S1 and changed drastically in S2, Late S2 felt very different from Early S1 in Animation and Writing.
That's very true. The animation especially improved and looked very different than before. But one odd thing I noticed about S2 is that a lot of characters started either disappearing or appearing less.

Mr. What Zit Tooya

Moby Dollar
That's very true. The animation especially improved and looked very different than before. But one odd thing I noticed about S2 is that a lot of characters started either disappearing or appearing less.
Yeah, Rocky isn't even mentioned in Season 2, and another side thing is that badges they were barely relevant in Season 2 when they were supposed to be the main goal in the beginning of the show.

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
Yeah, Rocky isn't even mentioned in Season 2, and another side thing is that badges they were barely relevant in Season 2 when they were supposed to be the main goal in the beginning of the show.
You're right. I didn't really notice the badges being less relevant in s2.

Yeah Rocky just disappeared. A lot of minor characters appeared a lot less too. Even some main characters like Portia and Penny appeared somewhat less than s1.

Mr. What Zit Tooya

Moby Dollar
You're right. I didn't really notice the badges being less relevant in s2.

Yeah Rocky just disappeared. A lot of minor characters appeared a lot less too. Even some main characters like Portia and Penny appeared somewhat less than s1.
Another thing that I have noticed is that Bessie varies her design in the 2 Seasons.

Pilot:
20220529_130922.jpg
Season 1 #1:20220529_005107.jpg
Season 1 #2:20220529_131018.jpg
Season 1 #3:20220529_005024.jpg

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
I feel like the first 2 pics are due to early installment weirdness, especially the pilot. The rest I feel like are because they didn't always keep Bessie strictly on model, so she could be more expressive. And her design between s1 and 2 is quite different: She was made pale in s1, maybe to fit her being geeky. But in s2 she has much darker skin, maybe to better fit how she's always outside having adventures. And her clothes and hair colors were made much more vibrant in s2 too.

Mr. What Zit Tooya

Moby Dollar
I feel like the first 2 pics are due to early installment weirdness, especially the pilot. The rest I feel like are because they didn't always keep Bessie strictly on model, so she could be more expressive. And her design between s1 and 2 is quite different: She was made pale in s1, maybe to fit her being geeky. But in s2 she has much darker skin, maybe to better fit how she's always outside having adventures. And her clothes and hair colors were made much more vibrant in s2 too.
That might actually make sense, Season 1 because it was more focused on getting the badges, the stories were mostly calmer, so the tame animation and cool colors suit it well, while Season 2 had stories with more action and faster-paced, so the expressive animation and the vibrant colors suit it well, this reminds me a bit of the change what did Chris Savino made in Seasons 3-4 of Dexter's Laboratory.

Last edited:

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
That might actually make sense, Season 1 because it was more focused on getting the badges, the stories were mostly calmer, so the tame animation and cool colors suit it well, while Season 2 had stories with more action and faster-paced, so the expressive animation and the vibrant colors suit it well, this reminds me a bit of the change what did Chris Savino made in Seasons 3-4 of Dexter's Laboratory.
Good observations. Yeah, it reminded me of Dexter in the past too.

Mr. What Zit Tooya

Moby Dollar
Question: do you think Seasons 1-2 of The Mighty B! are they better than Seasons 6-7 of Spongebob and FOP? (since both seasons were in the same time range that The Mighty B! from 2008-2011).

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
Question: do you think Seasons 1-2 of The Mighty B! are they better than Seasons 6-7 of Spongebob and FOP? (since both seasons were in the same time range that The Mighty B! from 2008-2011).
I think s1-2 of Mighty B were better because they were more fresh. B had more energy, momentum, and new ideas being a newer series. SB and FOP were getting tired on ideas at least a little I feel.

Mr. What Zit Tooya

Moby Dollar
I think s1-2 of Mighty B were better because they were more fresh. B had more energy, momentum, and new ideas being a newer series. SB and FOP were getting tired on ideas at least a little I feel.
I agree, at least The Mighty B! I was trying to innovate instead Spongebob and FOP were at a stage where they were beginning to have episodes without the same energy they had at the beginning.

Mr. What Zit Tooya

Moby Dollar
I've been thinking about The Mighty B! has some similarities to Chowder and The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack.

-Both have a child protagonist who is cheerful and naive.

-Both have their protagonists with a dream:
1. Chowder wants to be a great chef
2. Bessie wants to get all the badges to become a superhero
3. Flapjack wants to reach Candied Island and be a great adventurer.

-Both tend to experiment in their animation, although in the case of Chowder and The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack they tend to use more the clay, while The Mighty B! the painting.

-Both had someone who worked on Spongebob:
1. C.H. Greenblatt creator from Chowder worked in Spongebob as Assistant storyboard artist, Storyboard artist, Writer, Storyboard director, and Voice actor in Seasons 1-4
2. Erik Wiese co-creator from The Mighty B! worked in Spongebob as Writer, Storyboard artist, Storyboard director, Character layout artist, and Storyboard supervisor in Seasons 1-5
3. Brian Doyle-Murray voice from Captain K'nuckles in The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack as the voice of Flying Dutchman in Spongebob.

-Both were in a transition era for their television networks.

-Both were short with 2 and 3 Seasons lasting only 2-3 years on the air:
Chowder: 3 Seasons and 49 Episodes (2007-2010)
The Mighty B!: 2 Seasons and 40 Episodes (2008-2010/2011)
The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack: 3 Seasons and 46 Episodes (2008-2010).

Last edited:
Back