Should SpongeBob move networks?

What do you think? Should SpongeBob stay on Nick or not? Ratings have been going downhill since Season 9 premiered, I'm not really sure where else it can go, but if it stays on Nick, Nick is essentially bringing the series down with them as TV ratings drop as the years go on. Discuss.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
For the safety of the brand’s future, I think Nickelodeon should move to a streaming service. My idea is they have their own subsection on Netflix so the brand still survives, and possibly gets more popular again. I guarantee there are more than 1.04 million kids that use Netflix, and who like SpongeBob but don’t watch it on cable TV.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
SpongeBob will never and I mean ever, leave Nickelodeon. Even though the ratings are going down, its still doing good in the ratings. SpongeBob leaving Nickelodeon will be like Nickelodeon shooting themselves in the foot.

spongie33 said:
SpongeBob will never and I mean ever, leave Nickelodeon. Even though the ratings are going down, its still doing good in the ratings. SpongeBob leaving Nickelodeon will be like Nickelodeon shooting themselves in the foot.
Personally, I agree with you. The unfortunate truth is that without SpongeBob, Nick as a brand would almost be dead. Sure, The Loud House is a successful show on there, but SpongeBob has been around for almost 20 years and is easily more recognizable by a lot of people. Airing new episodes online would be a much better approach and would actually bring in some money instead of putting it on cable TV, a service that is almost like a desert now.

If I were to move SpongeBob to another platform, I'd move newer episodes to Amazon Prime Video seeing as SpongeBob is already on there considering Viacom's plan they struck with Amazon to stream their kids shows on their including SpongeBob. Seriously, if you look at the kids section of Prime Video the most popular series and character, ranking at #1 is the one and only SpongeBob! He is still popular, but he won't be noticed if he stays on cable TV.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
I would love to see SpongeBob thrive on another network. I think NBC or ABC would be a great place for it. And when I say ABC, I don't mean Disney channel. I'd rather see it stay on ABC because they have amazing comedy shows. It's a big wish that will never happen. It's only for the case of Nickelodeon getting better WITHOUT SpongeBob.

ssj4gogita4 said:
I would love to see SpongeBob thrive on another network. I think NBC or ABC would be a great place for it. And when I say ABC, I don't mean Disney channel. I'd rather see it stay on ABC because they have amazing comedy shows. It's a big wish that will never happen. It's only for the case of Nickelodeon getting better WITHOUT SpongeBob.
Or maybe SpongeBob could be a Fox cartoon! Either on their national prime time lineup or like I said before maybe local Fox affiliates could buy it for the daytime schedule. I must say it would be interesting to see SpongeBob immediately followed by “7 News first at 4”. With the credits running while the headlines roll haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
tomkennyisawesome said:
Or maybe SpongeBob could be a Fox cartoon! Either on their national prime time lineup or like I said before maybe local Fox affiliates could buy it for the daytime schedule. I must say it would be interesting to see SpongeBob immediately followed by “7 News first at 4”. With the credits running while the headlines roll haha!

Putting a hard no on Fox cartoon. Simpsons has been overdone for so many years and as much as I love Family Guy, I don't want SpongeBob to become so unfunny like it was in season 7.

ssj4gogita4 said:
Putting a hard no on Fox cartoon. Simpsons has been overdone for so many years and as much as I love Family Guy, I don't want SpongeBob to become so unfunny like it was in season 7.
Well if it were to be ABC I hope the same production company from Nick makes it. I know ABC has had cartoons like way way back in the day, but I wouldn’t want to take any chances. I do agree with ABC having great comedy!

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
EmployeeAMillion said:
For the safety of the brand’s future, I think Nickelodeon should move to a streaming service. My idea is they have their own subsection on Netflix so the brand still survives, and possibly gets more popular again. I guarantee there are more than 1.04 million kids that use Netflix, and who like SpongeBob but don’t watch it on cable TV.
I think Nick agrees:
https://youtu.be/Bxpdqc84hQI
https://youtu.be/PI4T5EcJ1U4
https://youtu.be/VzizZCkWSH0

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
Don't think it would ever happen other than it maybe being for some specials or something like the xmas stuff... still assume it's one of Nick's most popular shows anyways. Probably wouldn't do as well on any other viacom networks

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
tomkennyisawesome said:
Maybe SpongeBob could stay on Nick, but also get syndicated to local stations, and even other cable networks who wish to buy the show for their schedule.

Maybe Nick/Viacom should talk with Sinclair Broadcast Group about syndicating SpongeBob SquarePants to the KidsClick daily morning cartoon block. It could give the morning cartoon block a much-needed ratings boost on the various Sinclair-owned FOX, CW, MyNetworkTV and TBD TV affiliates it would broadcast on: https://kidsclick.com/

I could see it replacing Angry Birds or Rocket Monkeys.

SpongeBobfan1987 said:
Maybe Nick/Viacom should talk with Sinclair Broadcast Group about syndicating SpongeBob SquarePants to the KidsClick daily morning cartoon block. It could give the morning cartoon block a much-needed ratings boost on the various Sinclair-owned FOX, CW, MyNetworkTV and TBD TV affiliates it would broadcast on: https://kidsclick.com/

I could see it replacing Angry Birds or Rocket Monkeys.
Hmm maybe I’m mixing it up with another, but isn’t TBD TV a religious network? Since SpongeBob doesn’t really mention religion it might seem a little out of place there, and also everyone’s market doesn’t have a Sinclair owned station. Mine almost had one, but then Fox Television Stations wanted to buy it, but then the whole deal was off, but speaking of Fox properties. Since MyNetworkTV only plays reruns of other network’s programming for their national prime time lineup SpongeBob would be a great fit for them! Glad you brought them up!

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
The best idea is that Nick goes into streaming. Its website is trash and I think it should go back into dealing with Netflix again, since so many people are on that site.

Back