Season 9.1 animation

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Season 9 has my personal favorite animation style in the whole show. The colors are nice and vivid and the HD animation is so clear. This is the first Sb season to be produced in full widescreen HD. This seasons animation also has the most charm. It can be stiff at times but that's it's only flaw. The animation in this season also really suits the show too. This season's artwork was a huge improvement over S8. Since the production underwent a hiatus past the 189th episode, i'm only reviewing the first half of this season's animation up to 189. Though some later episodes of season 9.1 can get really off-model like "Kenny The Cat".
SQBA14.png

Discuss

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Occasionally there have been some cartoonier poses. I was surprised to see some of that in "Don't Look Now" and Erik Wiese helping out with "Kenny the Cat" sure showed (on SpongeBob specifically). I still don't like the stiffness though.

Supmandude

Squog
Kenny the Cat was pretty awesome looking. I hate "off-model" being used as a criticism because I love animation that doesn't try too hard to stay on model and focuses more on it looking funny and expressive.

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
I can sort of understand how drawing sb's cheeks that way would be easier but I never got why those started showing up on other characters or why the tooth thing on Pat is necessary.

end

The animation is the greatest of the series thus far, though considering the HD, that would be obvious. My gripe is how polished everything is. There leaves very little room for expression, leading to some of the stiffest movements. I hope the return of Erik Wiese can aid in a possible solution.

SpongyDevotee

Giant Clam
I really like it. I looks so... high definition. :P It's not my all-time favorite, but it's still sooo good. :)

Occasionally there have been some cartoonier poses. I was surprised to see some of that in "Don't Look Now" and Erik Wiese helping out with "Kenny the Cat" sure showed (on SpongeBob specifically). I still don't like the stiffness though.

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT. Erik Weise worked on Kenny the Cat? Prove it. His name was not on the opening credits. That would be awesome if he actually returned on the show.

Back