Season 8's stiff animation

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
What's up with the very stiff animation in season eight? I know the show never made the switch to flash, it's been Hand-Drawn and then colored by computers since season 2. Did the animators get lazy that season, since most shows get stiffer animation as they go on. S8 animation is just so stiff and rubbery compared to other seasons but its still better than flash. The color temperature has also changed from warm to cool.
I'm telling you this show has the most inconsistent animation kind of like how no two Season 2-3 episodes look alike.

SacredJimbles

Moby Dollar
I also agree, the stiffness was really weird. I didn't like it too much, I'm glad they changed it in season 9 and then upgraded to the movies animation.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
It was a matter of the stupid rules of staying "on model" that ruin most animated shows nowadays somehow taking over on SpongeBob.
That doesn't apply to the 4th season of Adventure Time all the episodes are off-model, there are even some episodes where Jake looks like a peanut

The Navy

Banished
Nick wanted a cheaper show, so they cut the animation budget and made it more simplistic and reduced off model poses. It especially helped with animation retakes.

The Drifter

Some person.
It was a matter of the stupid rules of staying "on model" that ruin most animated shows nowadays somehow taking over on SpongeBob.
I hate to say this but you're right.

What makes cartoons cartoon are off model animations and other goofy stuff that makes the animation looks ridiculous. These days most cartoons are trying to be anime with realistic-looking character with other more edgy and realistic stuff.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
Yeah, I have to admit, season 8 (along with 7) had the worst animation. I usually watch the show for both animation and comedy (nowadays since this year I want to focus the animation), but its looks like season 8, the animators didn't tried anything. There's almost no fluid animated episode to be seen. I did notice the on-modelness while looking at the gallery for a few episodes.

Speaking of fluid animation which season 8 episode had the best animation (not counting the stop motion Christmas special)? personally, Moonication had the best animation for this season. Though I can't find a season 7 episode with fluid animation.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Yeah, I have to admit, season 8 (along with 7) had the worst animation. I usually watch the show for both animation and comedy (nowadays since this year I want to focus the animation), but its looks like season 8, the animators didn't tried anything. There's almost no fluid animated episode to be seen. I did notice the on-modelness while looking at the gallery for a few episodes.

Speaking of fluid animation which season 8 episode had the best animation (not counting the stop motion Christmas special)? personally, Moonication had the best animation for this season. Though I can't find a season 7 episode with fluid animation.

Early-Season 7 episodes had almost S4 fluent animation which is basically all the episodes that came before Legends of Bikini Bottom.

Season 8 was very rigid and stiff, but slightly improved after Its a SpongeBob Christians, with holdovers like Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team, Chum Fricassee , Good Krabby Name, Move It or Lose It and Hello Bikini Bottom, after that for some odd reason some S9 episodes had very fluent animation especially Extreme Spots, Squirrel Record, Squid Baby, Little Yellow Book, Jailbreak, Seance Shmeance, Kenny the Cat , and Tutor Sauce. SpongeBob You're Fired though, had robot stiff animation but nowhere near as bad as flash. Everything else is in between.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
Grumpy Squidward Guy said:
Early-Season 7 episodes had almost S4 fluent animation which is basically all the episodes that came before Legends of Bikini Bottom.

Season 8 was very rigid and stiff, but slightly improved after Its a SpongeBob Christians, with holdovers like Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team, Chum Fricassee , Good Krabby Name, Move It or Lose It and Hello Bikini Bottom, after that for some odd reason some S9 episodes had very fluent animation especially Extreme Spots, Squirrel Record, Squid Baby, Little Yellow Book, Jailbreak, Seance Shmeance, Kenny the Cat , and Tutor Sauce. SpongeBob You're Fired though, had robot stiff animation but nowhere near as bad as flash. Everything else is in between.
Oh...looks like I need to pay a little more attention to the animation, which is what I'm doing right now when I rewatch the whole show (and other cartoons).

Speaking of animation, I started a topic on which episodes from seasons 6 and later had better animation (in SB Community).
http://www.thesbcommunity.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12470-later-episodes-with-the-best-animation/

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Yeah, season 8's animation is bland but it's tolerable to see at least unlike season 6 IMO.

The Drifter said:
I hate to say this but you're right.

What makes cartoons cartoon are off model animations and other goofy stuff that makes the animation looks ridiculous. These days most cartoons are trying to be anime with realistic-looking character with other more edgy and realistic stuff.
I don't have a problem with that TBH. I think most of animation in cartoons these days is really solid.

Back