Season 7-9 forced dialogue and slow speech

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
This doesn't affect the quality of Te episodes, but ever since the middle of Season 7, characters have been having very forced dialogue and slow speech, almost like they're constipated or they have a complicated vocabulary and use advanced words. In Seasons 4-6 the dialogue is in between, but seasons 2-3 always had very natural and realistic dialogue almost like a real life conversation. Season 1 had alright dialogue.

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
This is because they want to stretch out the episode time by having the dialogue going on for too long.

Cha

I love SBM
Kind of like my slow pace of s9 thread. I totally agree here though, it feels like little jokes are made because everything is usually so slow. And even said jokes aren't even that good. (Tbh from what I remember, I didn't like too many of the 2nd movie's jokes much.) Not to mention the overload of the Krusty Krab in almost every single episode in late post-movie, it's like the elephant in the room that we need to address more often imo. But at least post-post movie has had less of the restaurant so far.

I noticed it.

It makes certain episodes in those seasons particularly painful to watch. Even if they're not bad episodes, the speed of the dialogue certainly affects it.

Illiniguy34

That Reviewing Guy
Definitely agree. It's tedious padding that both bores and annoys the audience due to how much it takes them out of the experience. It makes episodes a chore to sit through.

iPlankton

The Original Single-Celled Organism
Yeah, the dialogue in the newer episodes seems over-explained and/or dumbed down and it really hurts the comedy. Sometimes subtlety is better and sometimes an initially subtle joke is ruined by addressing it. The only example I can think of is not the best, I think it's from "Chum Bucket Supreme" when Patrick works for Plankton. This line: "Your potty has a shocky thing going in it" ruined the background joke of the shot for me. That's just one bad example.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
The new writers couldn't churn out the same rate of jokes per episode that the old writers used to produce. At the same time, the plots usually don't have the capacity to stand on it's own without having high amounts of jokes to stand on. This results in some really dragged out scenes and dry, unecessary "banter" between the characters. The best example of an episode filled with this issue is Dear Vikings.

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
The new writers couldn't churn out the same rate of jokes per episode that the old writers used to produce. At the same time, the plots usually don't have the capacity to stand on it's own without having high amounts of jokes to stand on. This results in some really dragged out scenes and dry, unecessary "banter" between the characters. The best example of an episode filled with this issue is Dear Vikings.
well... good news?

Neon2500

Floating Shopping List
This issue came back in season 12 I think. Several episodes since then have had pretty slow dialogue, but nowadays it’s a pacing issue rather than a writing issue I think. The problem was the writers back then actually thought that stuff was funny. I am glad after their stupid phase and their slapstick phase they are finally attempting actual jokes again.

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
This issue came back in season 12 I think. Several episodes since then have had pretty slow dialogue, but nowadays it’s a pacing issue rather than a writing issue I think. The problem was the writers back then actually thought that stuff was funny. I am glad after their stupid phase and their slapstick phase they are finally attempting actual jokes again.
eh I don't mind slapstick

Neon2500

Floating Shopping List
eh I don't mind slapstick
Well it’s not like “Home Alone” type slapstick it’s more like “Ren and Stimpy” haha these characters are crazy and making weird faces slapstick that the last few seasons had.

It makes since because of Vincent Walker’s background on that show but it’s just not a type of humor I find appealing.

Back