• If you're of age and a U.S. citizen, remember to vote by November 3. Whether you're casting your ballot by mail, drop-off, or in-person, visit Vote.org to find information specific to your state and county of residence.

Pinned thread Season 4 Discussion

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Awful:
38. Squid Wood
37. All That Glitters
36. The Thing

Bad:
35. The Gift of Gum
34. Rule of Dumb
33. Wigstruck

Meh:
32. Once Bitten
31. Hocus Pocus
30. Good Neighbors
29. Whale of a Birthday
28. Driven to Tears
27. Ghost Host
26. Born to be Wild
25. Squidbob Tentaclepants
24. New Leaf
23. Best Day Ever
22. Funny Pants

Good:
21. Karate Island
20. Chimps Ahoy
19. Enemy In-Law
18. Squidtastic Voyage
17. That's no Lady
16. The Pink Purlioner
15. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy 6
14. Patrick Smartpants
13. Bummer Vacation

Great:
12. Best Frenemies
11. Shell of a Man
10. Krabs vs. Plankton
9. Skill Crane
8. Mrs. Puff, You're Fired
7. Selling Out
6. The Lost Mattress
5. Wishing You Well
4. Fear of a Krabby Patty
3. Krusty Towers
2. Dunces and Dragons
1. Have You Seen This Snail?

FINAL RATING: 8.2/10
I've always had a soft spot for season 4, so going over the bad episodes again kinda hurt me, but I still think this season is very good. I think some of the episodes would fit in to the classic seasons just fine.

(edit: changed some of my ratings around)

Last edited:
This is the season that deserves favorable comparison to the Hillenburg era the most. I would go so far as to rank it as a classic. While it may not be masterpiece after masterpiece in a row which was often the case with season 1-3 (Krusty Towers/Mrs. Puff, You're Fired is easily a full 10 though), it still has a lot of great episodes I will always have fun revisiting. My favorite is the vastly underrated Enemy-In-Law, which is easily on par with the golden gems of earlier years.

A lot of people will disagree with this, but for me it's also the last season without any bad episodes. My least favorite is Squid Wood due to how horrible The Krusty Krab customers are towards Squidward for no real reason, and yet even that one I think is decent and has its moments. The times when characters act like exaggerated versions of themselves are actually really tame compared to later instances. That's why Good Neighbors doesn't bother me. As stupid and naive SpongeBob and Patrick are in it they still seem relatively oblivious and innocent. I never got the intentionally malicious vibe from it many others do. SpongeBob does become stalkery in Squid Wood, but at least the gags involving it are clever and inventive.

The animation has a very unique look to it throughout which many found offputting, but I actually think is kinda cool. The facial expressions range a lot from looking Hillenburg-esque to implementing a style of their own.

Finally, the infamous grossout humor that many think of when looking back at the Tibbitt era was practically absent here. The only notably "gross" parts I can think of are SpongeBob eating worms plus Mr. Krabs and Plankton being infected with something green. And it's definitely nowhere near as unpleasant as fungus.