Season 2 or season 3? Which one is better?

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I know I'm doing the worst S.A. list already, and I intend to finish it.
However, I always wondered which is the best SB season. Apparently season 3 is the best one, as it's got the highest amount of good episodes. But is it true? Or does another season take the cake? For example, season 2?
So, in order to analyze which is the best between season 2 and season 3 (the ones considered the best), I'm going to compare each episode "one pairing against the other pairing", so that we can find out which season started and developed better.
I know someone else already did this kind of topic in the past, so in order to make it a bit different, I'm going to analyze also its flaws, and we're going to find out which season has the lower amount of flawed episodes.
P.S: of course you can express your opinion, even if it is different from mine.
So, without further ado, let's begin:
SHOWDOWN: SEASON 2 OR SEASON 3?
#1)
S2: Your Shoe's Untied-Squid's Day Off
VS
S3: The Algae's Always Greener-SpongeGuard on Duty

Let's begin with the opening pairings.
Your Shoe's Untied is a good episode, but isn't anything memorable. And to be fair, I've got an issue: if the Flying Dutchman can make every type of knot, I guess he could actually know how to tie Spongebob's shoe. I know that scene was made for laughs, but it's a bit off. The ending is okay, Gary wearing shoes is kinda odd and the song is nice. As an opening episode it's not that bad.
Squid's Day Off is much better than its sister episode. Squidward's paranoia is well developed and I really liked Spongebob's innocence, his quote in Squidward's imagination 'I will destroy the Krusty Krab' and Krabs' arms falling off at the end. It's a very funny episode. The ending is a bit cheap, though. Could've been more complete. Still, I really enjoy this one.
As for the first pairing of season 3:
For being a season 3 episode, The Algae's Always Greener is a bit underrated. This role reversal between Krabs and Plankton is very well done. It has some funny moments, like naked Krabs' getting a bra, but also some weaker ones, like Spongebob being a bit annoying. Nevertheless, this episode has a very interesting concept and doesn't fail in developing it.
SpongeGuard on Duty, on the other hand, is quite overrated: it's not a bad episode, it has some funny things like Patrick (he's the best character here), but the middle is just meh. Bikini-bottomites are basically useless, even as background characters. So... yup, good but not that great.

Which premiere is better?
This round goes to season 2. Even though SDO and TAAG are both good episodes, YSU is slightly better than SoD, because the former is more balanced, even without standing out too much.

Season 2 1-0 Season 3

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Wait, this topic has just begun. There's more to analyze.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
You don't even have to analyze! Season 2 is the best....everyone believes that Season 3 is better coz of the amount of BEST episodes ''ever'' it has or the amount of humour...but Season 2 certainly brought us more nostalgic and good episodes at least in my opinion!!!! But these 2 seasons are actually kind of the same coz they are really close...for example we could compare S1 to S3 or S3 to S5 but comparing S2 to S3 is a little bit more difficult but still my opinion is that....S2 for the win! :thumb1:

Pinhead Larry said:
Squid's Day Off is the best episode ever. I would pick S2 in a heartbeat.
Agree with that statement! It's one of the most nostalgic and good episodes :')

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
S2: Something Smells-Bossy Boots
VS
S3: Club Spongebob-My Pretty Seahorse

This one is hard to pick.
Something Smells is a very good episode. Even though its concept isn't that original, it's done well. Some scenes are epic, such as Squidward's response at Spongebob's "I'm ugly and I'm proud", the DEUUEAUGH and buildings literally escaping form Spongebob's bad breath. As for Patrick's "The Ugly Barnacle"... meh, I don't mind it. I didn't find that funny.
However, the ending is nice, with both Spongebob and Patrick being happy to have stinky breath, and Squidward's expression being epic. Pretty nice episode.
As for Bossy Boots, it's meh. It's not the worst thing ever, but isn't anything special, either. While I think Squidward quitting his job was funny, the rest was kinda forgettable. And to be fair, why should Krabs entrust Krusty Krab to Pearl, who NEVER showed to be interested in that sort of business? I might be nitpicking, but I don't think it is an irrelevant detail.
Club Spongebob... is overrated. It's not a bad episode, but it's far from being one of the best ever. Personally I don't like one-way episodes, especially those involving Squid Abuse, and before you ask... YES, there is. It managed to escape from my list, only because I thought the one from The Camping Episode was far worse. Anyway, I really can't see anything special in this episode. Plus, that stupid conch was ANNOYING. I mean, how stupid can they be if they trust in a conch, by pulling its rope?? Just no.
My Pretty Seahorse seems to be overshadowed by its sister episode... honestly it's much better than the previous one. Despite not having a comical premise, it's a very funny episode. Spongebob and Krabs are nice characters, Squidward is epic and Patrick is hilarious, despite appearing only three times. The onion bit is amusing, Krabs' sad story is funny and the ending is just great.
As for the coin scene... I laughed at it. Mature jokes usually work if they're put in a specific context. Great stuff.

Which one should I pick?
It's a hard choice, I honestly like MPS more than SS, but both its sister episodes aren't that impressive. And since I'm referring to pairings, and not to single episodes, so what to do?
I'm actually going to pick season 3 this time. MPS made a difference.

Season 2 1-1 Season 3

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
S2: Big Pink Loser-Bubble Buddy
VS
S3: Just One Bite-The Bully

Maybe this one is kinda predictable, but let's analyze it, anyway.
Big Pink Loser is a great episode. Every character is at his best: Spongebob is nice, Patrick is great and Squidward's cameos are epic. Patrick trying to imitate Spongebob actually makes sense here, as he wants to be successful and win a trophy. I cannot find any flaw in this. Well... maybe the lid scene, with Patrick thinking he broke the jar. He's kinda stupid. But it's not a flaw itself.
One of the best ones.
Then we have Bubble Buddy. And... I don't mind it. Not good, not bad, it's just okay. The twist at the end is nice, but the rest is just meh. Most of you hate Bubble Buddy because it deliberately let a fish guy drown. In my opinion, I don't mind that, either. Why should I care about some usually annoying, background characters? Although, it's certainly less good than the previous one.
Just One Bite is another good episode: Squidward's desperation is well described, Spongebob's rape face is hilarious. The ending is okay, despite being a tad harsh.
I... probably won't need to give further explanation. What else should I say? That The Bully is just inconceivable? You already know my thought about that episode. I hate it more than Party Pooper Pants. Bullying is a serious problem in REAL LIFE, thus seeing that imbecile Mrs. Puff acting that way, really makes me mad. That b**** was actually justifying the bully's behavior. I'm sorry, maybe I'm disapproving too much, but it's an awkward topic and it's really improbable to create an episode out of it.

So, I won't change my mind. Round goes to season 2.

Season 2 2-1 Season 3

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I know what you mean, but we're talking about Spongebob, a supposedly cheerful show. And it shouldn't make fun of a serious problem to make an episode.

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
Pinhead Larry said:
I'd pick S3 here because I like The Bully, I think you should be less sensitive. The number of episodes on other shows that involve bullying, indeed, Wayside was wholly bullying.
Wow, I'm surprised someone actually remembered that show.

Or is it that everyone knows it but no one talks about it?

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Sorry but I love The Bully, one of the funniest out there imo. I don't see the problem.

Kelpy G. said:
Wow, I'm surprised someone actually remembered that show.

Or is it that everyone knows it but no one talks about it?
Because it's VERY forgettable... from the little I remember.

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
Honest Slug said:
Sorry but I love The Bully, one of the funniest out there imo. I don't see the problem.

Because it's VERY forgettable... from the little I remember.
Yeah, that's about right. But the books were pretty great.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Okay, maybe I've been too harsh with The Bully, but I just don't like Mrs. Puff's attitude. And of course, the bully's character is tedious.
After that digression, let's go on

S2: Dying for Pie-Imitation Krabs
VS
S3: Nasty Patty-The Idiot Box

Probably the hardest choice so far.
Dying for Pie is a very good episode: every character is at his best. Squidward turns out to care a lot about Spongebob, after all. And so does Krabs, who basically closes his business, after realizing Spongebob is going to explode. Nothing much to say, nice one.
Imitation Krabs is another good episode. It's ironic that this one had two season 8 rip-offs, and both were just awful. But I digress.
Its concept is pretty nice, even though it's not as good as the previous episode. Speaking of which, I've got an issue: why does Krabs know so little about his own business? I get the joke, but it's a bit off. There's no way Plankton could know about Krusty Krab more than the real Krabs. Just saying.
As for Nasty Patty, it shares a quite creepy atmosphere... which I really enjoy. Now THIS is how a supposedly dark episode should be, not like IWATG. It's got some nice jokes, like Spongebob hiding the "corpse" inside his hat. I loved the interaction between the two and the policefish, concern vs unawareness. The ending is just absurd, with the policefish hitting the health inspector and Spongebob and Krabs getting away with it. Nevertheless, it's a nice one.
As for The Idiot Box, it's good, but I don't think it should deserve too many praises. Don't get me wrong, I like this one, but Squidward being a little out of character at the end is weird. I mean, not as much as he did in The Paper, but it's still odd. Besides, Spongebob and Patrick's imagination doesn't make much sense. I get that they were playing, but what about the background noises? It's a bit off.

So, which one should I pick? It was quite difficult, but this round goes to season 2.

Season 2 3-1 Season 3

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
S2: Wormy-Patty Hype
VS
S3: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV-Doing Time

Even though Wormy starts off well, the rest is just exaggerated. Bikini-bottomites are actually afraid of a tiny butterfly? Probably they didn't know about dry land creatures, but creating a havoc out of it is really stupid. And at the end Sandy comes to save the day. That was easily one of the worst climaxes of the show. She also comments "Maybe I should go out of town more often."... please, considering the inhabitants' stupidity, you should avoid saying that. So, good but overrated episode.
Patty Hype is a good episode and I actually like Krabs getting his comeuppance for his greed. Nothing else to say, Spongebob's business spirit is admirable and Krabs' greed is tedious. The ending is pretty nice, too.
To be fair, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV isn't my favorite MMBB episode, because of the mere concept. If you wanna give MM's (no pun intended) belt to Spongebob, you should probably realize he's going to misuse its powers. And that's all, Spongebob downsizing the inhabitants and also Bikini Bottom itself. Apart from Wumbo and Plankton being bigger than BB at the end, there's nothing memorable to comment on. Decent to an extent.
Doing Time is a good episode. Yeah, it has Mrs. Puff in it, but as long as she doesn't scream, I don't mind her. Her final dream sequence is terrific. It was a nice touch. Nothing much to say.

Which one should I pick?
Since both the first episodes are flawed, my opinion will base on their sister episodes. Quite frankly, I believe PH is slightly better than DT, so narrowly, this round goes to season 2.

Season 2 4-1 Season 3

Back