Season 2 coloring: TV vs. DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
Many people have pointed out that in season 2, Spongebob is very pale in most of the episodes. However, I'm pretty sure that is only the case with the DVD and other digital releases of Season 2. As for the TV versions of the episodes, he is actually his normal yellow color (for the most part). Here are a few pictures to show the coloring differences between the two.

Left: TV
Right: DVD, iTunes, etc.

28ji0jk.jpg

Cha

I love SBM
Woah the difference between the first two, that's why iTunes is great.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
I specifically remember watching season 2 as a kid and noticing that Spongebob's color was really washed-out in certain episodes. It's interesting to see screenshots with his "normal" color (and I put that in quotes because his color has changed overtime.)

Also, this screenshot is frickin adorable:

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=xtEOtcNV6SOygshS81P3tJGnz3CW1fSIz81AJgmAvYk%3D

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Huh ... that's pretty interesting. Does that mean they do have copies of the episodes somewhere where he is the brighter yellow?

The bottom and middle pictures on the left look so strange to me because I'm so used to the washed out version.

Jerry

404 - Jerry not Found
I remembered when I purchased SpongeBob seasons in 2010 (when I was 7 -- I feel so young) I've noticed the difference in colors. And I also noticed how pale everything was in season 2, which was how I distinguished it from all the other seasons.

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
BabySmitty said:
I specifically remember watching season 2 as a kid and noticing that Spongebob's color was really washed-out in certain episodes. It's interesting to see screenshots with his "normal" color (and I put that in quotes because his color has changed overtime.)

Also, this screenshot is frickin adorable:

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=xtEOtcNV6SOygshS81P3tJGnz3CW1fSIz81AJgmAvYk%3D
The only season 2 episodes I remember noticing the colors being really washed out was Procrastination and I'm With Stupid. I would always say to myself "Wow this is an old episode"

DadMom AngryPants said:
Huh ... that's pretty interesting. Does that mean they do have copies of the episodes somewhere where he is the brighter yellow?

The bottom and middle pictures on the left look so strange to me because I'm so used to the washed out version.
I think some of the older DVDs and VHS collections have the episodes where Spongebob is brighter. I have "Sea Stories" and "Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies", and from what I can remember, both of those DVDs have season 2 episodes with spongebob's normal yellow color. I'll look and see if I can find them.

SacredJimbles

Moby Dollar
My tv screws with colors a lot, cause in my spongebob movie game. Do to my tv, he appears the Bright yellow instead of the cream the models textures actually weird.

but in the case I just like the Bright yellow color more. I never understood why for promo materials they made him that stupid cream yellow like season 2. It just didn't make sense.

FictionMagician

Imitation Krab
The coloring looks off for sure, I prefer the TV version. I've noticed that some season 2 episodes have entire episodes that have dull coloring (Procrastination).

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Blame the crappy old computers they used to shade in Season 2.

My tv screws with colors a lot, cause in my spongebob movie game. Do to my tv, he appears the Bright yellow instead of the cream the models textures actually weird.
but in the case I just like the Bright yellow color more. I never understood why for promo materials they made him that stupid cream yellow like season 2. It just didn't make sense.

Adjust your tint settings on your tv

Squidina

Tintenfisch
It's not just S2. Ive noticed a notable difference between the TV and DVD colours in all my DVD's.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I prefer the DVD version, the colors are brighter, and its looks digital, the TV version looks like a cel rehash of Season 1 except with out wobbliness and cue dots.

Niffy01

Part Computer or Something
FictionMagician said:
The coloring looks off for sure, I prefer the TV version. I've noticed that some season 2 episodes have entire episodes that have dull coloring (Procrastination).
Procrastination is not dull on the Christmas DVD, also I'm with Stupid is not dull on the SpongeBob Goes Prehistoric DVD

ThatSkynyrdKid70

2 year club
The paleness has always been the reason why I can't stand watching Procrastination. It's one of my favorite episodes of the show, yes, but the paleness is just too distracting. The worst part about this is the fact that I don't have any DVD with that episode on it, where on the DVD version it looks fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back