Pinned thread Season 11 Discussion

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
Cave Dwelling Sponge: Great
The Clam Whisperer: Great (One of my personal favorites)
Spot Returns: Good
The Check-Up: Good
Spin the Bottle: Okay
There's a Sponge in My Soup: Great (airing Nov 7th)
Man Ray Returns: Great
Larry the Floor Manager: Okay
The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom: Good
No Pictures, Please: TBD (airing Nov 6th)
Stuck on the Roof: TBD (airing Nov 6th)
Krabby Patty Creature Feature: Great
Teacher's Pests: Great
Sanitation Insanity: TBD (airing TBD)
Bunny Hunt: TBD (airing TBD)
Squid Noir: TBD (airing Nov 10th)
ScavengerPants: TBD (airing Nov 9th)
Cuddle E. Hugs: TBD (airing Nov 8th)

Great: 6 Segments
Good: 3 Segments
Okay: 2 Segments
TBD: 7 Segments (5 airing Nov 6-10)

This is (so far) a Good Season.

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
I've got a couple things to say about season 11. First off please make Patrick an actual character again. He is only featured for the awfully regular disgusting scenes, and weird faces. He used to be such a fun character. Second, the episodes are very hit or miss. Next, the prominence of mass destruction is frequent and annoying. Also, the weird faces remind me too much of Face Freeze. Anyway, its so-so I guess. The show is just so massively different now and its a little hard for me to accept it. But once I do it'll be pretty cool.

Klu

Moby Dollar
Okay, my opinion on the season so far.
Cave Dwelling Sponge - 6.5/10 - many good gags and many bad gags too
The Clam Whisperer - 3/10 - really annoying episode.
Spot Returns - 8/10 nice bit of continuty and one of the most original plans to steal the formula in a long time
The Check-Up - 6.5/10 - could've been "7/10", but many scenes with Mr.Krabs too painful to watch in my taste.
Spin the Bottle - 7/10 Beggining was kinda meh and Plankton's plan is stupid, but episods is really funny
There's Sponge in my soup - 9/10 - strange, but creative and funny, fast-pace was really balanced and many gags are hits
Man-Ray Returns - 9/10 - Really funny and action-packed
Larry the Floor-manager - 7/10 - Good, but screaming in the beginning was unnecessary
The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom - 9/10 - really awesome special
So far - really good season with a very few duds.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
pgh214 said:
I've got a couple things to say about season 11. First off please make Patrick an actual character again. He is only featured for the awfully regular disgusting scenes, and weird faces. He used to be such a fun character. Second, the episodes are very hit or miss. Next, the prominence of mass destruction is frequent and annoying. Also, the weird faces remind me too much of Face Freeze. Anyway, its so-so I guess. The show is just so massively different now and its a little hard for me to accept it. But once I do it'll be pretty cool.
I do agree this season has flanderized Patrick (Especially in The Clam Whisperer, he's so annoying in that episode). However, if you haven't watched The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom yet, I highly recommend checking it out. Patrick is perfectly in character in that special.

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
I may be a big fan of Season 10, with how cartoony it got, and I did notice that this season is half as cartoony as the last 2 seasons, but aside from that, it's still a darn-fine season of SpongeBob. so far it's a 8.5/10, so far, no hated episode has been aired imo, and the writers are still coming up with some great stuff, and this season, we do get the return of Zeus Cervas and Luke Brookshier as writers, and Ryan and Chris do their second freelance episode. Also you never know why this season is less cartoony, I guess it's because the storyboardists and crew are getting used to the style, and this is their 3rd season, and it's 26-episodes, the first full post-sequel season, since 9b has 15, 10 has 11, etc. so maybe they need to churn out these episodes a bit faster than season 10 had. 8.5/10 - Only 5 episodes have aired too.

for the most part, this has been much better than season 10. There are still a few duds and some over the top wackiness but they have been improving on that with especially these amazing episodes, The Legend of Boo-kini Bottom and Teacher's Pests. keep this quality up and this will turn out to be such a good season.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Master WhoBruh said:
for the most part, this has been much better than season 10. There are still a few duds and some over the top wackiness but they have been improving on that with especially these amazing episodes, The Legend of Boo-kini Bottom and Teacher's Pests. keep this quality up and this will turn out to be such a good season.
Have they toned down the wackiness and noise? That's the thing that bothered me most about season 10.

Honest Canadian Cartoon said:
Have they toned down the wackiness and noise? That's the thing that bothered me most about season 10.
there's still wackiness and all that but aside from a few exceptions, it was toned down a bit and there have been a bit more interesting and funnier episodes than some of season 10. It still needs improvement but I kind of have been enjoying in this season. Not great but good. I recommend the episodes I just mentioned. Those are legit art.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Krabby Patty Creature Feature (F)
I have better things to be doing than to make another "Sportz?" essay--not that this trash even deserves that credit-- but this is a serious contender for one of SpongeBob's worst episodes, period. It's loaded with repetitive (and horrifically disgusting) "jokes", it crammed in whatever story it could throw together, and it ended a total mess. It's only salvageable moment was Bubble Bass's part.

I guess this shouldn't really surprise me considering you gave Planet of the Jellyfish a F despite that episode being like Top-25-level good and this episode was pretty similar to it but still, what???

Outside of that and The Check-Up though, I agree with most of that post (the not outdated stuff at least)

Wintermelon43 said:
I guess this shouldn't really surprise me considering you gave Planet of the Jellyfish a F despite that episode being like Top-25-level good and this episode was pretty similar to it but still, what???

Outside of that and The Check-Up though, I agree with most of that post (the not outdated stuff at least)
Two questions: Did she post that here and why is the date on it June 25th?

More

VIP
Creature Feature still sucks.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Spooky Ghoul Charli said:
I could easily see kids being terrified after watching it because of the frightening designs and the plot elements that never get explained.
This honestly makes me want to watch it more lol. I liked Ghost Host even as a kid despite how frightening its imagery was.

Squid's Visit sucked but I'm always down for a spooky episode. Which is why I love the Treehouse of Horror episodes from seasons 1-9 of the Simps so much as well. I don't like all of the weird expressions though, it's a season 10 trope that needs to go away.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Yeah... but this episode makes "Planet of the Jellyfish" look good. At least that episode had a dynamic between SpongeBob and Sandy which, while underwritten, was enjoyable. It also had solid designs; I think the use of pearly black eyes and cocoon-trapping the victims conveyed the horrific theme in an easy-to-understand way. And while it didn't blend the horrific and comedic elements well, it's story is still awesome on paper and there were a lot of jokes I giggled at--some of my favorites were "jellion zero" choking on popcorn and SpongeBob's quip "I hate mayonnaise... and mustard." I get the appeal, I just feel like they tried to squeeze in a special's plot into an 11-minute episode.

But, if I were to be hasty, I'd put "Creature Feature" in my bottom five without a doubt. Take "Planet of the Jellyfish", strip it of all the characters but SpongeBob depriving it of the interaction that it needs, scramble the story without having any sort of connection, drop all the jokes and good designs in favor of gross-out with chum vomit and disturbing transitions, and try to sqeeze in a botched moral about not changing already good patties, and that's what this is. I could easily see kids being terrified after watching it because of the frightening designs and the plot elements that never get explained.
Yeah, those plot elements that never get explained are going to terrify kids. I remember when I was a kid I was terrified when shows had plot elements that never got explained :P

(Also I didn't really think the gross-out was that bad there either but whatever)

mandythescientist17 said:
Two questions: Did she post that here and why is the date on it June 25th?
She edited her post from before.

Klu

Moby Dollar
Gross-out in "Krabby Patty Creature Feature" works because it's a horror movie parody. Even if it's parody, episode still should make a viewer a little bit uncomfortable.
And, tbh, gross-out here is not THAT gross. Seasons 6-9A much worse in that regard.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Gross-out in "Krabby Patty Creature Feature" works because it's a horror movie parody. Even if it's parody, episode still should make a viewer a little bit uncomfortable.
And, tbh, gross-out here is not THAT gross. Seasons 6-9A much worse in that regard.

I'm really bad with gross-out gags (Like, to the point where I can't look at the screen for a lot of Battle of Bikini Bottom) but honestly the gross-out in KPCF didn't bother me.

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
I know we're derailing this a bit but...

If anything, I honestly think the gross-out in "Krabby Patty Creature Feature" wasn't just "not harmful" towards it, but flat-out beneficial.

You aren't gonna see me saying that much.

But I mean, think about this. This is a zombie apocalypse where everyone is giant, greasy burgers. I honestly think this episode wouldn't nearly have the same creepy and comedic impact it has if they were designed to look "comfortable." Regardless of how you feel about the episode, I feel this honestly really helps to convey the mood this episode is attempting to convey.

But it never feels too far, you know? The gross-out is ultimately not in the forefront. Contrast with say, "The Splinter," which would have absolutely nothing if it weren't for the gross-out scenes. This episode would still ultimately be a goofy zombie-apocalypse story, but I feel the emphasis on the burger monsters just wouldn't be quite as fun.

Also, the gross-out in this episode wasn't even that bad. "Code Yellow" was far worse, and all it has are two scenes which lasted for less than five seconds.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Honest Canadian Cartoon said:
I don't like all of the weird expressions though, it's a season 10 trope that needs to go away.
It won't go away, most of the storyboarders continue to work on Season 12.

Yeah... but this episode makes "Planet of the Jellyfish" look good. At least that episode had a dynamic between SpongeBob and Sandy which, while underwritten, was enjoyable. It also had solid designs; I think the use of pearly black eyes and cocoon-trapping the victims conveyed the horrific theme in an easy-to-understand way. And while it didn't blend the horrific and comedic elements well, it's story is still awesome on paper and there were a lot of jokes I giggled at--some of my favorites were "jellion zero" choking on popcorn and SpongeBob's quip "I hate mayonnaise... and mustard." I get the appeal, I just feel like they tried to squeeze in a special's plot into an 11-minute episode.

But, if I were to be hasty, I'd put "Creature Feature" in my bottom five without a doubt. Take "Planet of the Jellyfish", strip it of all the characters but SpongeBob depriving it of the interaction that it needs, scramble the story without having any sort of connection, drop all the jokes and good designs in favor of gross-out with chum vomit and disturbing transitions, and try to sqeeze in a botched moral about not changing already good patties, and that's what this is. I could easily see kids being terrified after watching it because of the frightening designs and the plot elements that never get explained.
I usually finds your explanations for why some episodes suck to be interesting but I think you are being too harsh on this. I can agree on the whole unoriginality and the episode not being funny but gross-out wasn't even bad here. It's a horror parody, it's supposed to be nasty. Ironically tho I hate when horror movies or tv shows are way too gross and bloody but after all the horrid crap I've seen in this show, the gross out here is tolerable. I don't find it funny but it wasn't offputting. Kids being scared by this? Come on, there's criticism and there's being a soccer mom. There are so many popular kids shows with worse scary and disturbing stuff and I've named them before. SpongeBob has had some disturbing scenes since season 1. It's nothing new at this point. Kids go to Trick or Treat and they go to haunted houses, even if that'd scare them. Hey Arnold had much worse scares than anything else in this show. Lastly I don't get your complaint about the town getting back to original patties. I agree that it's a very cheap way to end the episode after so many episodes ending people demanding more patties but I don't see any moral here and If there's, why should we care? The moral is that Krabby Patties are perfect, like we actually have floating burgers that can turn people into zombes. The episode is uninspired and all but it's not offensively bland like Sportz. I seriously can't see how this episode is supposed to be one of the worst episodes of all-time.

Back