SpongyDevotee

Giant Clam
Hey everyone, I will be doing a SpongeBob Season 1 and 2 comparison topic. :) I will be comparing each episode from season 1 and season 2, and then I'll see which one I find better or worse, and the better episode pair gets a point towards the season.

I got inspired to do this by GordokTheMad's classic Season 6 and 7 Comparison topic. http://www.sbmania.net/forums/topic/35803-season-6-and-7-comparison/ Thank you very much for inspiring me to do this exciting topic! ^_^

Now let's begin:

Season 1: Help Wanted/Reef Blower/Tea at the Treedome
Season 2: Your Shoe's Untied/Squid's Day Off

Well, here we have the episodes that started them all! I think Help Wanted did a very good job at introducing the characters and it’s a very monumental point of the series. Also, I really think that whole sequence of SpongeBob making Krabby Patties, with that Tiny Tim song, is one of the all-time most fun and memorable moments in the entire series! :D Reef Blower is just alright, though. I think it’s unique for having no dialogue and being the shortest episode to date, but it’s not really something I’d go for. On the other hand, Tea at the Treedome is a really intense episode, which is pretty darn awesome! And I like intense episodes, so yeah! :D

Your Shoe’s Untied is also another great season opener, with some pretty funny moments, as well as that catchy song at the end! :) However, I think Squid’s Day Off… is almost a Meh episode. Don’t get me wrong, I still think it’s “Good” and seeing Squidward go crazy was amusing, but I thought the episode was a bit annoying and not all that funny at times. =/ There’s nothing bad about the episode, but I don’t favor it all that much. So overall, since Season 1 had 2 great episodes, whereas Season 2 only had one great one in the pairing, I’m giving Season 1 the point! :)

Season 1: 1
Season 2: 0

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
I think Squid's Day Off is hilarious, because all of Squidward's torment is his own fault. He was the one who forgot to switch the "closed" sign to "open." He was the one who tried to shove his entire workload onto Spongebob and then take the day off- which is kind of a despicable thing to do, if you think about it. If the store actually had been open, Spongebob would have been working the register AND the grill. Sure, he could have been able to do that, since he's a great multitasker, but still.

I think the season 1 episodes win. "Help Wanted" is pretty epic and memorable. Reef Blower is quite creative- no dialogue, but they still managed to make it interesting. "Tea at the Treedome" introduced Sandy Cheeks, and created an incredibly tense story and took full advantage of the show's setting. It fully acknowledged that the characters live underwater. I wish more episodes did that.

Now with the season 2 thing... Your Shoe's Untied only has two memorable scenes to me. The first is Spongebob attempting to hand the patty to Squidward, but repeatedly tripping and throwing the patties into Squid's mouth. This was an INCREDIBLY funny scene. The second is the Ween song at the end. Even then... that song isn't exactly a show-stopper. (And I love Ween.)

toasterstrutel

Krabby Patty Burglar
I'd give the edge to S2, mostly cause I absolutely despise Tea at the Treedome.
I think I would also give the edge to season two. Squids day off is great imo, and You're shoes untied is also good. A think help wanted and tea at the treedome are good too, but not quite.

SpongyDevotee

Giant Clam
Season 1: Bubblestand/Ripped Pants
Season 2: Something Smells/Bossy Boots

Wow, both of these seasons have some really good episodes within these pairings. Bubblestand proves that this show could take such a simple premise as blowing bubbles, and turn it into an episode that is truly amazing, filled with gags and creativity. :) And who doesn't love to bring it around town?? Ripped Pants, however... is even better! :D This episode's main focus is to teach a moral, and it does so by making the episode funny, interesting, and have such a wonderful characterization of SpongeBob! ^_^ He is very likable here, and learns what I think is one of the most valuable lessons in life: Just be yourself. Also, this episode has such a fantastic musical number in the end. :D It also makes me wonder, what made the writers decide to make an episode about ripping pants? XD And how did they end up making such an amazing episode with such a weird premise like this? :D

Now for Season 2, Something Smells is also such an AMAZING episode! :D First of all, the episode is hilarious, and second, I really liked the concept of SpongeBob having something (bad breath) that ends up terrorizing the town, yet he just doesn't know what it is that is making all the citizens freak out! XD The end result is a very great episode, which I really like. :) But for Bossy Boots... not so much. Honestly, I'm debating on whether I consider this a Meh or Good. The plot is just kinda boring, and the episode itself isn't too funny to begin with. I did like how Mr. Krabs really cared about Pearl in this episode, though. ^_^ The episode is kinda a mixed bag between Good and Meh for me. Overall, even though both of these pairing are great, it's obvious that Season 1 gets the point, mostly because Ripped Pants is my favorite out of the 4, and Bossy Boots is my least favorite out of them.

Season 1: 2
Season 2: 0 (Hmm, so far my favorite season of this show isn't starting off so well. But this is only the beginning...)

goodmorning

Moby Dollar
as much as i loved ripped pants, i don't really remember bubblestand that much. plus, bossy boots is one of the most underrated episodes IMO. i'll probably give this one to season 2.

goodmorning

Moby Dollar
Big Meaty Leedles said:
I'd give this one to S1, as I hate Bossy Boots. In my eyes:

S1: 1
S2: 1
why do a lot of people hate bossy boots? i thought it was funny.

More

VIP
goodmorning said:
why do a lot of people hate bossy boots? i thought it was funny.
I found it okay but just not up to par with some of the others.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Bubblestand / Ripped Pants (Season 1)
Something Smells / Bossy Boots (Season 2)

Anyone on this site who knows me will know that I regard Bubblestand EXTREMELY highly. I consider it one of the top THREE best episodes of the entire show's run.

Ripped Pants... honestly, I've always thought it was boring. Although I do appreciate the slower pace and the general quietness of the episode, it doesn't make me laugh.

Something Smells... absolutely hilarious. The writers took a plot that wouldn't feel out of place in Ren & Stimpy, and they managed to A) make it not entirely disgusting, and B) endearing. You know what? I hate hate HATE HATE onions but I wanted to give Sponge a hug because I felt so bad for him.

Bossy Boots..... this episode gets a lot of hate and I feel like it's undeserved. It's funny, charming, and it's nice to see Spongebob and Pearl acting really friendly with each other. It's cute.

"Bubblestand" is the absolute best episode of these four.

However, the season 2 episodes overall are more consistent and entertaining.

SpongyDevotee

Giant Clam
Season 1: Jellyfishing/Plankton!
Season 2: Big Pink Loser/Bubble Buddy

Ehhh... for Jellyfishing, I think the episode is alright, but I don't really like it as much as I used to. Heck, I remember finding this episode hilarious, but now, not so much. Still, "Firmly grasp it" and the "dah-dah-dah-dum" scenes are pretty awesome! :D I just think this episode is pretty slow-paced, and kinda boring and not all that funny. They definitely did get Squid torture down in this episode, because SpongeBob and Patrick were not able to know that Squidward is in pain, which makes the Squid abuse a bit more justified in their part. However, I still don't really like seeing Squidward in pain when he's already in a body cast! =/ Overall, I think the episode is decent, but has a few problems. On the other hand, I think Plankton! is an amazing episode, because it introduces this awesome villain, and has him perform one of his most evil schemes ever, with MIND CONTROL!!! :D

Big Pink Loser is a thoroughly hilarious episode. :D "Is this the Krusty Krab?" "No, this is Patrick." I also really liked seeing Patrick want to actually be good at something, which is definitely some pretty nice characterization for him. Also, I thought it was pretty funny that he went as far as to actually copy SpongeBob! Speaking of SpongeBob, I'm so impressed with him for having so much awards! ^_^ Now for Bubble Buddy, I thought that this was a pretty amusing episode. It's always nice to see SpongeBob be as silly as to make a friend out of one of his interests. (Hence, this is why I like To Love a Patty.) The episode was also really hilarious, especially with the parts at the Krusty Krab with Squidward, and when everyone was waiting in line at the bathroom for Bubble Buddy. XD I also liked seeing SpongeBob defend his friend by saying, "He's my friend and I love him." ^_^ Overall, as much as I like Plankton!, I really like this pairing for Season 2, so that season gets the point. :)

Season 1: 2
Season 2: 1

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Jellyfishing / Plankton!

Big Pink Loser / Bubble Buddy

I was never too fond of Jellyfishing, even as a kid. I liked "Plankton," though.

I feel like I appreciate "Big Pink Loser" a bit more as I watch it. It's an interesting look into Patrick's psyche. And I always thought "Bubble Buddy" was so bizarre and hilarious.

I'd have to go with season 2 in my case. Although overall I prefer season 1 to season 2... in this case, I prefer these season 2 episodes.

goodmorning

Moby Dollar
big pink loser is one of my favorite episdoes of all time. jellyfishing and plankton! were pretty good, but i don't really care for either of them. so my vote goes to season 2.

Back