Movie News Scrapped Concept for "Sponge on the Run"

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
According to a post on NickAlive blog, Paul Tibbitt and Kyle McCullough had ANOTHER concept for the 3rd movie...alien cats!

This particular concept had Gary being snailnapped by alien cats instead of by King Poseidon like in the final version which prompts SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Sandy to go rescue him

They were going to go to a hell-inspired location where they would meet characters Mortius and Sarcoma (I can't believe they would name a character after a type of CANCER!) and they were going to go fight the evil robotic alien cats with help from Independance Day actor Jeff Goldblum who would have played the President of the United States

As you can see this was a more "science-fiction" type plot and Stephen Hillenburg wanted a more grounded & relatable story for the film which resulted in the current movie we have now

Which plot do you prefer: SpongeBob and his friends fighting evil robotic alien cats OR rescuing Gary from King Poseidon at the Lost City of Atlantic City?

KarateSponge

Parawhore
Alien cats. That'd be really bizarre, and yet it'd somehow probably bring me to watch the film.

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
I think the Space cats version would have been a lot better to be honest. I like when spongebob goes expirimental and weird, and the new movie felt too familiar. I guess I just want this franchise to do something new. (Camp Koral is NOT a good example of this expirimentation)

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I think the Atlantis plot was better imo.

Back