Roadie's Top 10 Best/Worst Season 7 Episodes

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
rjaUTMg.png

I've been here for about 31/2 years and I don't think I've ever made a list related to season 7, 8, or 9, and I feel kinda bad. So, I decided to do this to keep my activity on this site as high as possible.

90PXpby.png

Thoughts:

I had a hard time trying to decide whether I should put The Masterpiece, Whelk Attack or this episode in the number 10 spot. I decided on this one because The Masterpiece didn't really have much qualities apart from some good banter between Squidward and Mr. Krabs. Whelk Attack on the other hand, had a problem with being underwhelming. It was good, but I expected a better episode from a sort of plot that would get you as excited as it did.

Squidward in Clarinetland had a good story that kept me engaged throughout the episode, a great cameo, and a good lesson about trusting someone with good intentions. The thing that most people see in this episode is it's weirdness. The Clarinetland itself. Some see it as a thing that detracts quality from the episode, while others see it as the best part of the episode. I happen to agree with the latter group, thus explaining my choice.

j5LrkFV.png

Thoughts:

In all fairness, I don't think this episode is that bad. It was boring, underwhelming, annoying at some parts, and brutally predictable at every point. Those are technical faults that make a bad episode, but I would say an 11 minute block of all those things combined would be a perfectly watchable experience if you're bored, or drunk. An episode that has all of those fault combined, but nothing more, would be bad, but harmless.

Though, for a 22 minute special with intentions of spreading a message of the utmost importance to the children of the world, those faults carry much more weight than usual. This special is everything that's wrong with bad "save the earth" campaigns turned into a SpongeBob episode. It failed to caught any attention because it's boring, uninteresting, and at some points, annoying, and it's way too one-dimensional to take seriously. However, at the end of the day, it wasn't threatening or cringeworthy, and it had good intentions which I can't fault for. It's just terrible executions.

Mighty the armidillo

Moby Dollar
I like SWICL

Spongebobs last stand is in my top 15 episodes wanna see that check artist unknown topic

Please put the cent of money on the list i despise that epsisode so much

Anyway great list so far :thumbsup:

ScumBob

sicko m0de
BatteryMill said:
Please, no One Coarse Meal in the top five. APFG, yeah, sure, but not that. It was decent.
OCM is a pretty obvious episode for the top 5 or at least 10.

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
I really love those designs! I agree with Squidward in Clarinetland, it is a creative and excellent episode, and while I disagree with SB's Last Stand, I still respect your opinion.

Cyril

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Actually a little surprised to see SLS in the bottom 10, I don't think it's particularly good or anything but by this season's standards it's pretty middle of the pack. And I totally get your reasoning for picking Clarinetland over Masterpiece or Whelk. If I did a top 15 I think Clarinetland would've squeezed in there just barely, it's a pretty alright episode.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
dYYL2LA.png

Thoughts:

Proper banter. That's the best way I could describe this episode. It's like watching the news segment on Top Gear. It doesn't have much (if any) action, or story-telling qualities, it's just a couple of characters being themselves bickering around making valid (sometimes unsuccessful) attempts at comedy that I can at least appreciate. I honestly felt this episode had a lot of decent moments like Squidward being sarcastic towards a lady, SpongeBob's I-don't-give-a-::dolphin noise:: response to Squidward's outburst ("I know, but what are you doing?"), Patrick and Squidward's vision about the future, Squidward thinking it's already the future ("I knew I'd still look hot"), and of course, one of the funniest endings you'll ever see.

45IjQxg.jpg

Overall, far from a technically sufficient episode, but certainly one that has it's own chill charm to it.

Finally! Someone else who doesn't find Buried in Time boring! Also, COMMERCE AND IRRIGATION

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
F1swUtC.png

Thoughts:

No comedy. No attempts at comedy. Not even a whiff of it. Maybe it's not such a good idea to have an episode with jack shrimp dialogue. What were the writers thinking? This felt like an actual fan fiction story got adapted. It's complete with insanely cheesy romance, random OC's no one cares about, and a lack of understanding of how the show's best episodes work. The show lives through it's ability to maximize comedy in 2 ways, visual and word-based. This episode barely did any of those 2 ways.

Maybe the writers just tried to do something new. Something fresh. A little cheesy romance, like an attempt at parodying those old romantic episodes with cliches. Honestly, I can at least appreciate the effort to do something different, but they make so many baffling decisions to go through with it. Why Gary? What's with the lack of dialogue? What's with all the cliches? Why won't you tell jokes? The story is decent but the execution is simply feeble.

Anyway, I guess it's cutesy enough so I'll concede that this episode is completely harmless. Though, technically, it's very insufficient, and I think a lot of people would agree with me when I say that this episode's only quality is it's cuteness and if you don't like that aspect, you won't like the episode.

I can like cutesy stuff, too. It's just that I feel like this episode's imprisoned by it's adorable nature that it fails to balance it out with some natural, hard comedy. Something necessary in all SpongeBob episode, no matter the theme.

NOTE: I didn't expect to rip into Gary in Love this hard. I didn't like the episode, but I don't hate it. I'd give it a solid C- in terms of grading, to be honest.

MrTortellini00

lame funny
SpongeRoadie UK said:
F1swUtC.png

Thoughts:

No comedy. No attempts at comedy. Not even a whiff of it. Maybe it's not such a good idea to have an episode with jack shrimp dialogue. What were the writers thinking? This felt like an actual fan fiction story got adapted. It's complete with insanely cheesy romance, random OC's no one cares about, and a lack of understanding of how the show's best episodes work. The show lives through it's ability to maximize comedy in 2 ways, visual and word-based. This episode barely did any of those 2 ways.

Maybe the writers just tried to do something new. Something fresh. A little cheesy romance, like an attempt at parodying those old romantic episodes with cliches. Honestly, I can at least appreciate the effort to do something different, but they make so many baffling decisions to go through with it. Why Gary? What's with the lack of dialogue? What's with all the cliches? Why won't you tell jokes? The story is decent but the execution is simply feeble.

Anyway, I guess it's cutesy enough so I'll concede that this episode is completely harmless. Though, technically, it's very insufficient, and I think a lot of people would agree with me when I say that this episode's only quality is it's cuteness and if you don't like that aspect, you won't like the episode.

I can like cutesy stuff, too. It's just that I feel like this episode's imprisoned by it's adorable nature that it fails to balance it out with some natural, hard comedy. Something necessary in all SpongeBob episode, no matter the theme.

NOTE: I didn't expect to rip into Gary in Love this hard. I didn't like the episode, but I don't hate it. I'd give it a solid C- in terms of grading, to be honest.
Your 9th worst episode is an episode you don't even hate? That means you like the season a bit more than most of people

Imo, Gary in Love is not even close as being in my top 10 worst. There are much worse episodes in this season

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
MrTortellini00 said:
Your 9th worst episode is an episode you don't even hate? That means you like the season a bit more than most of people
Actually a lot of episodes in season 7 are just bad, but not exactly ones I hate. Episodes like Summer Job, Tentacle-Vision, Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful, The Main Drain, and Karate Star are good examples. All of them are bad, I just don't hate them.

I find hate to be a strong word. It's certainly different to dislike something than to hate something. It's a heavy word and I tend to use it as appropriately as possible.

the episodes i've mentioned in that sentence are the dishonourable mentions.

MrTortellini00

lame funny
SpongeRoadie UK said:
Actually a lot of episodes in season 7 are just bad, but not exactly ones I hate. Episodes like Summer Job, Tentacle-Vision, Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful, The Main Drain, and Karate Star are good examples. All of them are bad, I just don't hate them.

I find hate to be a strong word. It's certainly different to dislike something than to hate something. It's a heavy word and I tend to use it as appropriately as possible.

the episodes i've mentioned in that sentence are the dishonourable mentions.
I also think that "hate" just needs to be used when it's appropriate. It's just that many people use it to describe the majority of this season. Still, pretty fair choices for your dishonorable mentions

Also, 200th post

Back