Reviews

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Text version of Mark Kemode's review for the Guardian. I'm pretty sure this is the Guardian's 3rd separate review of this movie.

4/5

SpongeBob’s big-screen outing is packed with enjoyably surreal slapstick.

Express:

3/5

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water should please young fans and offers up some droll humour for adults despite a rather innocuous story.

Edinburgh Reporter:

3/5

Usually, a feature length version of any 20 minute TV show would grow turgid after a short while, but almost miraculously, Sponge Out of Water manages to be entertaining for almost its entire 100 minute run time.

BongeSpob

Floating Shopping List
I can't believe how well the movie is doing on Rotten Tomatoes! :yes: (78%). Yet on IMDB the rating keeps going down, from a 7.0 to a 6.5. :no: Aw well! What are ya gonna do?

The Drifter

Some person.
BongeSpob said:
I can't believe how well the movie is doing on Rotten Tomatoes! :yes: (78%). Yet on IMDB the rating keeps going down, from a 7.0 to a 6.5. :no: Aw well! What are ya gonna do?
Haters gonna hate :coolio:

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Flicks.co.nz:

4/5

An animated Monty Python movie you can take the whole family to.

Herald Sun:

2.5/5

There’s middling fun to be had in SpongeBob Squarepants second movie outing.

HeyUGuys:

4/5

Bonkers laugh... like a colourful, senses-pounding rush. The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water offers far more craziness than David Hasselhoff could in the first film.

Irish Examiner:

4/5

Stuffed to the gills with quips, puns and one-liners, visual gags and wacky asides, The Spongebob Movie is gloriously irreverent.

Sydney Morning Herald:

3/5

This is SpongeBob's second outing on the big screen, and this time the filmmakers employ some glorious new 3D animation to give the sponge a little twist.

TVNZ:

3/5

Goofball and day-glo, The Spongebob Movie: Sponge out of Water will amuse the youngsters over the holiday - nothing more, nothing less.

The Iris:

3/5

Luckily SpongeBob holds enough joy to give the whole family something to laugh at, whenever he gets a squeeze.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Stuff.co.nz:

4/5

Sponge Out of Water might not be quite up to the dizzying heights of surreality of his 2004 movie, but with Antonio Banderas turning up for a villainous, above-water cameo as a dastardly pirate and all the usual head-spinning leaps of illogic happening below, this instalment still offers plenty for the fans.

Stack:

2/5

It’s creepy, and recommended for kids who are slightly left-of-centre.

The Essential:

3/5

Sponge Out of Water, for the most part, retains the essence of SpongeBob: an awesome, if at times exhausting and nightmarishly surreal childhood phenomenon.

Good Film Guide:

7/10

On the whole Spongebob: Sponge out of Water is a pure delight – the manic, Monty Python inspired comedy never lets up and the visually innovative animation will delight both adults and children alike.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Screen Jabber:

4/5

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water is a bucket-full of fun for kids and adults alike.

The Blurb:

This is an inventive take on the Spongebob Squarepants lore that effectively takes the characters out of their comfort zone and gives them a grand adventure that will easily amuse the younger audiences.

Impulse Gamer:

3.5/5

It is a film that will definitely delight long time SpongeBob fans and may even create some new SpongeBob fans in the process.

NZ Herald:

3.5/5

Captivating silliness will please SpongeBob fans. But even if you have never seen a SpongeBob episode, this film is a comedy caper that will entertain you.

Concrete Playground:

Enjoyable, all-ages nautical nonsense.

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
Toon Zone
While it doesn’t deserve to walk the plank, Sponge Out of Water didn’t entertain me as much as the first SpongeBob movie. Between treading familiar ground, having more holes than the main character, and simply not being as consistently funny,SpongeBob’s seen better days.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
PopMatters:

7/10

In live action, CGI and hand-drawn animation, The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water looks and sounds great and makes for a very good time with or without the kids. There may be no good reason for such a surreal and crazy story about a sponge living in a place called “Bikini Bottom” with a starfish as a best friend to be quite this funny or endearing. Somehow, even after over a decade and a half, this still works.

Back