Re-Evaluating my opinions on SpongeBob Season 1-8

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Yeti Krabs (Season 9, Episode 10b)
Original Airdate: March 29 2015*
Episode 359 in standard order, Episode 360 in airing order
*copyrighted 2013
Plot: Mr Krabs attempts to scare Squidward into doing more work by telling him about a yeti
Written by Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas and Mr Lawrence

[titlecard]188B[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Agitation Bridge 2

Across 2014 and early 2015, only 3 new SpongeBob episodes aired- It Came from Goo Lagoon, Kenny the Cat, and today’s episode. Even then, they’d premiered earlier in foreign countries. There was a year-long gap between the last few drips of Season 9a, and the renaissance of the series with 9b, with this episode filling the gap. It’s technically the first Post-Sequel episode, airing on TV after the release of Sponge Out of Water, but imagine being a kid in 2015, now hooked on SpongeBob after the new movie won you over, and this was your first new episode. You can tell I don’t like talking about this episode, as I’ve neglected to actually say anything about it so far, and that’s because it’s so boring.

The main crux of the story is Mr Krabs being upset with Squidward’s laziness, trying to get him to do work, and SpongeBob doing the work instead. That’s all I can really say about the first third of it. Sure there’s some variation in the chores SpongeBob does, but it’s not enough for me to take interest in the episode, as a casual viewer. Then Mr Krabs tries to scare Squidward by telling him a yeti crab will eat him if he’s being too lazy. How old does Krabs think Squidward is? Sure he’s run out of ways to motivate Squidward to do his job, but it’s a stretch for me to believe that Mr Krabs would tell Squidward a scary story for 3 year olds and expect him to believe it. The story itself barely makes any sense. This yeti crab can smell laziness, and eats the source. Okay, what does laziness smell like, and why does the yeti crab only eat lazy workers? I know asking questions about what’s clearly a terrible scare tactic isn’t supposed to be meaningul, but these are the sort of questions Squidward should be asking.

Mr Krabs leaves his employees, and by what the French Narrator calls “sheer coincidence”, the yeti crab actually exists and goes to the Krusty Krab due to its nice smell. He goes in, roars a couple times, and gets different reactions out of SpongeBob and Squidward. While SpongeBob does every chore he possibly can to prevent being eaten, even the ones that don’t make sense, Squidward thinks the yeti’s just Mr Krabs putting on a costume, despite its very different build and being much taller than Krabs. After being annoyed by the yeti for a while, Squidward grabs some stuff from the dumpster outside to dress up like a yeti to prove he can dress like one too. At this point, it just seems like the plot gets too wacky. You’ve gone from virtually nothing happening, to Squidward wearing a yeti costume attacking a yeti while SpongeBob’s doing chores. What is tonal consistency?

Once Mr Krabs comes back and Squidward’s proven wrong, there’s a jump-cut to the yeti crab roasting them all on the kitchen grill. I don’t get how the yeti crab only now gets the opportunity to roast them, especially after the strongest Krusty Krewmember’s entered the scene. Before being roasted however, SpongeBob discovers the yeti’s hungry and feeds him some Krabby Patties. Plotholes about the reveal and why the yeti would even cross the ocean for burgers that weren’t even cooking aside, I like the sequence of SpongeBob cooking the patties. It almost feels like part of a SpongeBob episode. Unfortunately, once the yeti leaves, it seems like nobody’s learned their lessons- Squidward’s still lazy and SpongeBob’s still doing Squidward’s dirty work. It feels like one of the most aimless stories in the entire series.

Now to say what my favourite jokes are, which is very hard given just how bland most of them are. I had to dig through the episode’s script to see which lines I could find funny, because the visual gags get annoying after a while, and I could only find a few which were barely impressionable. The best joke has to be Squidward not caring at the very start of the episode, even as his job’s threatened, but the joke wears thin after being dragged out for 3 minutes. The worst joke, and one of the only other jokes I could mine from the episode, is when we see the yeti’s stomach wanting to be let out after so long without food. It’s a strange, gross idea that doesn’t mesh with the other two episodes in this episode.

The animation here isn’t outright bad, but it’s got some problems the show wouldn’t let slip today. How could Squidward not know that the yeti crab looks incredibly different to Mr Krabs? The model itself looks nice, being what you’d expect from the rather bizzare yeti/crab hybrid, but I hate how inconsistent his height is. Sometimes he’s about twice Mr Krabs’ size, and other times he almost takes up an entire room, which makes the jokes where Squidward thinks it’s Mr Krabs even worse. Even the shot of the mountain the yeti hails from looks horribly plain, with next to no detail to give you the feel of a tall, snowy mountain. The episode’s art direction also suffers from mostly being set at the Krusty Krab. There are episodes that’ve been there longer, sometimes even the entire runtime, but this stands out because the subject matter is so boring. There are only so many visual gags you can make of SpongeBob cleaning in one episode before the audience gets sensory deprivation.

That leads into my biggest problem with the characters, how little they do. Sure the theme of the episode’s laziness, but even when they’re not being lazy, it doesn’t seem like they’re showing off their personality traits correctly. Squidward seems to be really dumbed down in the second act, being unable to tell that the yeti crab looks different from Mr Krabs, and dressing in garbage to prove a point. Then you have SpongeBob, and since he does the same routine so often, cleaning something for the sake of being a goody two-shoes, he eventually becomes a very boring and predictable character. He’s at his best when he cooks the Krabby Patties for the yeti in the climax. Truth be told, I can’t tell you much about the yeti or Mr Krabs. The yeti mostly stands around looking menacing until it remembers what cooking is, and Mr Krabs just forces his employees to work on what is clearly a dull, slow day.

It should be clear by now why I dislike this episode. To be fair, it’s hard to make an episode about chores interesting, but there should be more to it than one character sitting around and the other doing chore after chore. Sure that’s a relatable workplace situation, but the episode offers no variation of it aside from a haphazard yeti plot that makes no sense. I’m rather glad this is generally considered the penultimate Post-Movie episode, and not the first of a new era, because it’d be unable to win over many new fans.

Final Verdict: Bad 4/10 (not worth your time)
Are You Happy Now? < Yeti Krabs < A SquarePants Family Vacation

Question of the Day: Are there any Season 9a episodes you dislike aside from the big 3?

I really hope you don’t get fired up over tomorrow’s episode.
:sbthumbs:

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Yeti Krab is average to me.

EmployeeAMillion said:
Question of the Day: Are there any Season 9a episodes you dislike aside from the big 3?
I only know that I hate Squid Baby, Little Yellow Book, and SpongeBob You're Fired.

Speaking of SB, you're fired; I'm ready for your fiery rant on SBYF, because I'm about to profane fiery to SBYF too.

spongebranch

Banished
I bet your SpongeBob You're Fired review is gonna be real ::dolphin noise:: fierce. I hope no one $#%@s this up when you post it.

Speaking of which the episode coincidentally premiered in Greece 5 years ago today

edit: How the ::dolphin noise:: did the comment look like this?

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
I bet your SpongeBob You're Fired review is gonna be real ::dolphin noise:: fierce. I hope no one $#%@S P O N G E B O Bthis up when you post it.

Speaking of which the episode coincidentally premiered in Greece 5 years ago today

If it's not harsh enough, EmployeeAMillion might fire himself from his job and just eat Eggplants for the rest of his life.
QOTD: Extreme Spots

RDSP

Banished
Yeti Krabs is meh. It's not that bad but it's rather boring.

QotD: Squid Defense

spongebranch

Banished
and I really hope SquiddyFace doesn't screw this thread up seeing it. I'm so tired of him shoving "FIRED" in my face constantly on my Discord profile.

RDSP

Banished
spongebranch said:
I bet your SpongeBob You're Fired review is gonna be real ::dolphin noise:: fierce. I hope no one $#%@S P O N G E B O Bthis up when you post it.

you know the next review is gonna be fired

Coffee_lover

Banished
I enjoyed Squidward’s role in Yeti Krabs but overall it’s average 9a episode,nothing special

QotD:Yeah,I despise Patrick-Man a lot,Squid Defense and Don’t Look Now are bad as well

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
SpongeBob You’re Fired (Season 9, Episode 11)
Original Airdate: November 11 2013
Episode 360 in standard order, Episode 357 in airing order
Plot: SpongeBob gets fired, and has to put up with the downsides of unemployment
Written by Marc Ceccarelli, Luke Brookshier and Mr Lawrence

[titlecard]189[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Bikini Bottom Bound

This is it, the final episode of the Post-Movie era, and what may have been the straw that broke the camel’s back. Calling it one of the most hated episodes of the whole show, if not of any show, would be about right. It’s another special that doesn’t need to exist, and maybe would’ve been better off not existing, especially to those who were offended by its portrayal of unemployment. I know that in our modern world, anything can be offensive, but you know SpongeBob’s gone too far when even organizations will band together and say a certain episode sucks. I haven’t seen the episode in over 4 years, and have only seen reviews to piece the experience back together, but those reviews are more like SpongeBob episodes than this. I almost forgot how hard this was to endure.

The story starts on a slow day at the Krusty Krab, where time seems to be moving much slower than usual. There’s a couple seconds of Squidward snoring, a couple seconds of SpongeBob getting an order, and double that time of him putting a patty on the grill. One of the key factors in this episode’s infamy is introduced here. You guessed it, padding. It doesn’t help that the rest of the scene of SpongeBob cooking a patty, cleaning himself after this, and swabbing the dining area floor have nothing to do with the rest of the episode, except establish the very blatant fact that SpongeBob works at the Krusty Krab. It may be different for me, a longtime fan who’s seen this shtick hundreds of times before, but even to a newcomer, these first two minutes of SpongeBob cooking a single patty, will fail to engage them. Remember in Help Wanted, where on his first day on the job, he cooked dozens at a time in an energetic way? We’re a long way from home, that’s for sure.

(There are more patties thrown on the grill at one point, though they’re never finished. It’s just another very poor attempt at grabbing your attention.)

Once SpongeBob cooks his first order, Mr Krabs comes up to him an fires him on the spot. He’s not sent to Krabs’ office or given a pink slip (outside of a bad pun), he’s point-blank terminated before even serving the order. This isn’t because SpongeBob’s done anything wrong, that’d make his termination reasonable and the struggles he’ll later face more meaningful, but because Mr Krabs wants to save money. More specifically, 5¢. It’s a baffling business decision that purposefully flies in the face of Mr Krabs’ greed. Why would he fire the source of a majority of his income? Wouldn’t just lowering his pay be enough? Not really, because it’s implied that 5¢ is SpongeBob’s whole salary. It’s surprising Mr Krabs has no problem with such a low pay, especially considering he points out how working for free is illegal.

Following his firing, SpongeBob starts to cry, then the story’s paused again to drag out how miserable he is. For next 30 seconds or so, he just stands in place crying, as his tears fill the restaurant and things happen around him. It’d be funny, or at least interesting if SpongeBob were affected by his own crying, but he might as well be replaced with a water fountain in this scene. He’s eventually rolled out of the restaurant by Squidward, who now has full justification to take his co-worker’s firing well, and is told by Mr Krabs that Krabs will be running the grill from now on. Discounting his infamous cooking in Squilliam Returns, it seems like a terrible idea for the Krusty Krab not to hire a professional fry cook to replace SpongeBob. What this is is an idea doomed to fall apart, which would be obvious to seasoned SpongeBob fans.

SpongeBob eventually goes home and having used up all his tears, spends the rest of the day sulking. Getting fired has really taken a toll on him, and I’d be able to feel sympathy for him if I was invested. Instead, the whole pace of this scene is slow, which would seem fine as he’s depressed, but given how the rest of the special has already been terribly slow, it comes off as just another scene. All you can really say about it is that he feeds Gary, something I’m sure he does everyday, though with a happier demeanour. If you were desperate, you could say this foreshadows an activity SpongeBob does later in the episode, but there ar key differences that make it seem like they were just two random scenes.

After a while of moping around and crying, SpongeBob’s visited by Patrick, who’s crying because his best friend’s crying. SpongeBob very slowly tells him he got fired, unable to spit it out and making Patrick guess different things in one of the most useless jokes in the series. This scene has a use however, for Patrick to tell SpongeBob that being unemployed can be okay, and that he’ll have fun tomorrow. Quite frankly, the next morning, SpongeBob looks even more miserable and has even less energy. This results in a scene where they pester Squidward and get the vegetables he throws at them, which is not only frustrating, but painfully slow. Slow enough for me to understand that Patrick, whose the episode’s representation of unemployment is leeching off his neighbour for food. I’m not an unemployed adult yet (I hope to get a job before I’m 18), but this is a disgusting representation of them.

The next stop on their day of “funemployment” is getting more food from their friends, in this case Sandy, who seems to be more evil here. She’s essentially feeding random fish free, radioactive gunk to see the different side effects, which is far out of her ethics. Because of this weird plotpoint, whenever Patrick appears in the rest of episode, he’s got a small, creepy clone on his forehead. However, Sandy’s able to free SpongeBob of his depression by telling him to get a new job, thus making Patrick’s role in the episode a huge waste of time. He didn’t help SpongeBob, and only made his feelings about unemployment sink further. It wasn’t until he talked to Sandy that he had the courage to find a new job. At least the plot’s starting to go somewhere though.

SpongeBob attempts to get back into the food business, but whenever he’s hired by a new guy in a food suit, he’s quickly fired because he finds a way to turn their food into a sandwich. There are 4 places he goes to, which seem to exclusively sell hotdogs, pizzas, tacos and noodles respectively. This is by far one of the dumbest conflicts in a SpongeBob episode. Sure SpongeBob can’t make anything besides Krabby Patties, but this goes all-out in that easy-to-disprove fact, much worse than Le Big Switch did. It’s not that he can’t cook other foods, it’s that he puts them in buns and that gets his new bosses enraged. Special mention should go to the pizza place, where the only modification is the two buns with nothing else about the pizza changed, and the taco place, where the first customer eats the burrito patty through the middle like an idiot.

After all those firings, SpongeBob’s mood goes south again, and he heads home despressed that he got fired five times in one day. Either there was a fifth place he got fired from offscreen, or the writers completely forgot there was a transition to a new day earlier in the episode. I can’t believe it feels like they can hardly count to one. Anyway, SpongeBob feeds Gary again, but since he’s out of snail po, he cooks some up himself out of leftover vegetables. There are four serious questions I have. Why didn’t he have those vegetables instead of agreeing to annoy Squidward for some? Isn’t most pet food made of meat? What were all the “SpongeBob can only make burgers” jokes about? (On top of that, why didn’t he just go to a competing burger place?) Most importantly, what does this scene have to do with the rest of the episode?

The whole snail po thing doesn’t have enough time to develop, because without warning, SpongeBob’s kidnapped by the hotdog man and chained to make more of the hotdog patties that were thrown on the floor, most likely disposed. This starts a literal chain reaction (I can make better jokes than this episode) of the other stores kidnapping SpongeBob, wanting him back for virtually no reason. Weren’t most of SpongeBob’s original creations either destroyed or tested to negative reception? Why would every food place on the block at once want him back? Things get even crazier when a burger mascot then beats up the others and takes SpongeBob for himself, and it looks nothing like the Krusty Krab’s prior mascots, yet still takes him to the Krusty Krab! I know by this point that the episode is built around making no sense, but picking apart everything wrong with it’s more fun than watching it.

The burger mascot is revealed to be Squidward, taking him to back to the Krusty Krab to show him how it’s turned into a disaster without him. Mr Krabs has failed as a fry cook, and the walls are smeared with food, which don’t correlate, but I’ll give a pass because it establishes a mood of failure. In fact, this is the only scene in the episode I was invested in, with Squidward begging SpongeBob to join the Krusty Krew. It feels like a test of Squidward’s friendship which could’ve meant something if he were in the episode more. Of course, Mr Krabs rehires SpongeBob as fry cook, because it can’t last one day without him, and he goes back to cleaning and cooking. After that, the episode ends with the only plot thread being tied up, how Mr Krabs plans to save a nickel, and he uses it for pay toilets. While not a horrible way to raise money, it’s still a pain whenever you go to a restaurant with pay toilets. With the story out of the way, do I need to further explain everything that’s wrong with it?

Finally, time to review the comedy, or lack thereof. The thing that turns this from a poorly-written episode into an outright broken one is that it’s hardly going for jokes. Sure there are others that have tried to be serious, but never this depressing. As such, the few jokes it throws in are either painfully long, or come from Patrick, who didn’t do anything right to help SpongeBob. There’s only one joke in the whole episode I like, and that’s when SpongeBob’s cleaning the restaurant up and gives Squidward a dress, to which he mutters how he doesn’t like the colour. It implies that he’s fine dressing like a princess, and even has a taste in what colour dress is suited to him.

Because the episode’s so slow, the animation’s problems stick out more. I really wasn’t expecting this to be a gross episode coming back to it, but there are a lot of instances where the food’s too unappealing. Key moments are the mince that sprays out of the burrito patty, and the vegetables Squidward throws at SpongeBob and Patrick. It’s pretty bad when a kids show depicts vegetables as this gross, even being the main ingredients in cat food. Speaking of the funemployment scene, SpongeBob’s miserable look there is just that, mierable. Sure it fits the mood of him being completely fed up with life, but let’s just say I don’t like that mood. There’s even a gross close-up of his face, as if it was necessary to drive home the fact that far. However, I honestly hate the later close-up on his normal, very confident face, because seeing SpongeBob with that much detail that happy is so uncanny.

All the characters suck, just saying that right now. SpongeBob would be interesting if he acted more realistically, but he’s instead got massive mood swings that make him untrustworthy as a protagonist. Notably, he goes from being down in the dumps to excited about getting a new job way too quickly for it to have any emotional impact. Patrick’s about as dumb and useless as he can be, even though he’s trying to help, and that clone on his head doesn’t make him any funnier or more interesting. It’s downright idiotic that Mr Krabs thought he could go without SpongeBob for a day, given he holds the place together in just the episode’s opening alone.

Sandy’s doing some scientific research, so they got that part of her right, but it’s completely out-of-character for her to be harming freeloaders with radioactive waste because of it. The only one I think works in one scene is Squidward, when he’s begging SpongeBob to come back to the Krusty Krab, but it would work more if he actually had an arc that would make him more likeable. Instead, he’s a generic jerk in the few scenes he’s in prior to this. The only other main character worth mentioning is Gary, but he’s just a pet here. There’s no need to praise him for being cute or hate him for being a bit gross in his taste.

The main characters are already handled pretty badly, but what really seals this episode’s fate are the food mascots. They’re horrible, evil bosses that all try to kidnap SpongeBob instead of rehire him, and worst of all, they’re all so bland. They’re all just fish in a food suit, that’s the only way to distinguish them, and even then, it’s a very thin theme. Their part to play in the episode’s mean and pointless, they’re all carbon copies of one another, and they’re massive jerks who get into a fight in the street because of something that could quickly he solved with a negotiation.

Now finally, it’s time to really delve into SpongeBob You’re Fired’s portrayal of unemployment and why it caused a stir in the media. As discussed, the second act of this episode consists of Patrick trying to make SpongeBob feel better about being unemployed, by showing off his daily routine, which is just eating others’ food, sleeping, then repeating the process. Rise and Shine is a better look into Patrick’s life than this, and that was 5 times shorter than this special. As you can tell already, I really hate what the episode tries to say about unemployment. Some adults can’t help being unemployed, especially in developed countries, such as a certain country where this episode was made. It’s a botched attempt at political satire on a Y7-rated show, and I can see why organizations were offended by it.

Most importantly however, I can see why Stephen Hillenburg may have been upset with this special. Not only did it gets his creation into trouble on the news, but it sealed its fate in the mainstream as a leech sucking for attention. While I doubt he’d outright say he hates certain episodes, or knows much about the hate surrounding the Post-Movie seasons, I’m sure this was the definitive point where Hillenburg wanted to get back on the show, to prevent atrocities like this from being made anymore. For that, I might have to thank this episode somewhat. Sure, the plot makes no sense, the animation’s flat and gross, the characters are mindless husks and there’s only one joke I like, but it has its place in SpongeBob history like Atlantis SquarePantis. It serves as a warning for how not to write a SpongeBob episode, and a very strong one at that.

Final Verdict: Scummy (2/10) (not unwatchable, but still among the worst)
Boating Buddies < SpongeBob You’re Fired! < Pet or Pests

Question of the Day: Do you think this special ruined the reputation of Season 9a?

Join me tomorrow as I recap my thoughts on Season 9a. Until then, play me out, Adele.
:sbthumbs:

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
In hindsight this episode is probably even worse than I remember it being. I should rewatch it sometime.... though I may end up regretting that lmao.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Dang how hard is it for you to give out that 1/10?
The day I give a 1/10 is the day the show officially loses its trust from me. This episode was in “the serious garbage pile”, but it at least it, Boating Buddies and A Pal for Gary had something for me to smile at despite their otherwise unholy quality.

Also bare in mind my scale is from 1 to 10, with no 0, as in that case there’s literally nothing for me to review. Thanks for that observation, but I’m not actively seeking a 1/10 episode.

spongebranch

Banished
D*mn I was waiting for a 0/10. Oh well, it all makes sense why this made the news. I said "You know SpongeBob has gone too far when an episode is so bad the complaints make it to JOURNALIST WEBSITES." on SBM's Discord and they made fun of me complaining they took the joke out of context but nope, seeing this review the joke wasn't out of context at all. I can see why Stephen Hillenburg hated it too. They also wouldn't believe me there.

Back