Ranting the 2011 study against the SpongeBobSquarePants series.

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam

Remember this video back in 2011? Well yes. Today, I'll be ranting the 2011 study against the SpongeBob SquarePants series.

A 2011 study conducted by a boomer named Dr. Angeline S. Lillard of the University of Virginia was conducted to about 60 4-year-old children. The first 20 children watched SpongeBob for 9 minutes (an average SB episode is 11 min and 22 sec.), the other watched Calilou for 9 min, and the last group did some arts like drawing. She discovered that SpongeBob SquarePants did worse on children by affecting children's attention spans, short-term memory and mental focus. After she released the study, Nickelodeon declined that the most popular Nickelodeon series is for aged 6 and above (usually TV-Y7).

This study pissed me off. This is the possible cause on why my Gen-X parents won't shut up about letting me stop watching SpongeBob SquarePants. Even I told them that its a cultural phenomenon and created by a marine biologist, they don't care. They blamed my favorite show for the same reason that the 2011 study showed (such as ignoring attention to authority, poor/decent grades or being stupid by accident). All they can do is shut me up and follow their petty restrictions in my house. I'm 20 and I'm still watching SpongeBob for 16 years now. And I can't really imagine my life without it anymore.

I even comment the video.

Thanks for making my parents blame my favorite show boomers (Lillard and Christakis). I hope you're happy on what you conducted. ******* karenesque boomers!

Last edited by a moderator:

eliugra

On-and-Off SBManiac
I would definitely not recommend Spongebob for ages 3 to 6, when executive functioning (children maintaining attention, control over their own emotions, I think is what Lillard researches) is rapidly developing. As you point out, several episodes are labeled Y7, so I think the researchers were just arguing not to show SB to very young children. TV like Sesame Street is specially designed for education, with actual developmental psychologists and child learning experts on staff, while SB is not.

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler

Remember this video back in 2011? Well yes. Today, I'll be ranting the 2011 study against the SpongeBob SquarePants series.

A 2011 study conducted by a boomer named Dr. Angeline S. Lillard of the University of Virginia was conducted to about 60 4-year-old children. The first 20 children watched SpongeBob for 9 minutes (an average SB episode is 11 min and 22 sec.), the other watched Calilou for 9 min, and the last group did some arts like drawing. She discovered that SpongeBob SquarePants did worse on children by affecting children's attention spans, short-term memory and mental focus. After she released the study, Nickelodeon declined that the most popular Nickelodeon series is for aged 6 and above (usually TV-Y7).

This study pissed me off. This is the possible cause on why my Gen-X parents won't shut up about letting me stop watching SpongeBob SquarePants. Even I told them that its a cultural phenomenon and created by a marine biologist, they don't care. They blamed my favorite show for the same reason that the 2011 study showed (such as ignoring attention to authority, poor/decent grades or being stupid by accident). All they can do is shut me up and follow their petty restrictions in my house. I'm 20 and I'm still watching SpongeBob for 16 years now. And I can't really imagine my life without it anymore.

Thanks for making my parents blame my favorite show boomers (Lillard and Christakis). I hope you're happy on what you conducted. ******* karenesque boomers!

Thats funny, watched that video a few days ago

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler

They Compared CAIlLOU to Spongebob, thats like comparing a donut to a loaf of bread

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
SpongeBob is more of a cartoon then of a preschool show imo.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
But it's undeniable that there are elements in the show that appeal to preschoolers

Why else would Callie, Mason, and Aidan be into SpongeBob SquarePants?

If Nickelodeon wants to stop preschoolers from watching the show then they need to remove each & every element that attracts them!

That way they can ensure this show ONLY appeals to people 7 and up

TattleTale Strangler

Normality Impaired
SpongeBob SquarePants isn't meant to be something to build executive functioning skills, such as attention span. It's purely entertainment. That is like asking someone to eat an apple and expecting them to say it tastes like oranges. It just won't happen.

Any excessive amount of TV time is going to have a negative effect on a child's attention. This has been heavily researched and proven. To say SpongeBob is directly linked to decrease attention span would be inaccurate and dismissive of previous research in the field.

Back