Predictions for Critical Reviews?

IAmBagel

it keeps happening
What do you predict about the critic's general opinion about the movie? Do you think they'll like it, or hate it? The first movie's reviews were generally positive (it currently holds a 69% rating on Rotten Tomatoes), however, sequels usually don't turn out as good as the previous film. In my opinion, I predict that the reviews will be generally mixed to positive (between the 60%-70% range on Rotten Tomatoes).

A Writing Stick

Floating Shopping List
My prediction is that it will outdo the fairly underwhelming RT rating of the first film, I think it'll be interesting and well-developed enough to garner reviews from most critics that'll at least be considered positive, but I have my doubts about how acclaimed it will be, and I think they'll be a lot of disagreement about how good it is within the fanbase.

i might think critical reviews would be mixed reviews but kids would love the movie..

otherwise, it'll might have positive reviews once it comes out.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I'm really starting to believe this could be better than The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. Hillenburg himself said the first movie was very challenging and they know where they're going with this one a little more. The first movie was written by people who are great writers but were used to writing in the 11 minute format, whereas this movie has experienced feature film writers as well as crew from the show.

At first we will see some positive reactions, later mixed, later negative reaction just like when I saw the reactions of most of sequels on Wikipedia :P

President Squidward said:
"It was so beautiful i touched myself at night!" - ssj, Admin Critic

"lol what is this" - Ohad, Critic Member

"It was... okay." - RSF, Critic Member

"Needs more nutella" - E.V.I.L, Critic Member
"Needed a battle between Squidward and Wander" - Prez, Critic President

Probably 50% - 60% for official critics because critics are not going to give most children's movies--good or bad-- excellent reviews.

As for general public, probably in the 70% range as there will be the people who hate children's movies, the nostalgia-glasses wearing reviewers, and then the few who genuinely, well, did not like the movie.

delete my account

PRESIDENT
E.V.I.L said:
Probably 50% - 60% for official critics because critics are not going to give most children's movies--good or bad-- excellent reviews.
So movies that are aimed for children can't, won't, and/or don't get a lot of positive reviews.

K.

Anyway, I predict that this movie will get mixed or average reviews. The CGI/Live Action is a big departure from the series' traditional 2D animation and a major first - the sudden change will probably not go well with the audience.

ThatSpongeBoy said:
So movies that are aimed for children can't, won't, and/or don't get a lot of positive reviews.

K.

Anyway, I predict that this movie will get mixed or average reviews. The CGI/Live Action is a big departure from the series' traditional 2D animation and a major first - the sudden change will probably not go well with the audience.
I mean, let's be realistic-- that's going to factor into a bias. I'm sure if Band Geeks were relased post-movie, bias would poison that episode's reputation.
Of course, that's not to say children's movies AREN'T going to be stellarly reviewed; I mean, just look at Toy Story 3!

btw 50%-60% is nowhere near negative.. that means at least half the fanbase found it okay-excellent

Addendum: Pixar doesn't count. Almost all of their movies are stellar.

Supmandude

Squog
Everyone in the world will love it and the film's perfect existence will cause both Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert to raise from the dead and give it a billion thumbs up! :D

Piper

Moby Dollar
I'm not even slightly confident that it will get good reviews, the negative reception the trailer has received from some writers has really thrown me off. (We've Got This Covered, etc)

Nonetheless, I have my fingers crossed for a 60% or better score. But I wouldn't be surprised if it even got around 20%.

Great question, by the way!

The Drifter

Some person.
55.55%.

It's not going to be as good as Toy Story 3, but hopefully it would be good enough to break post-movie hater's "hate bubble" and made them realise that SpongeBob have been improving recently.

Wumbo

Part Computer or Something
The fact that Hillenburg himself is working on the film is enough for me. I asked Sherm Cohen (Lead Storyboard artist in SpongeBob's golden ages) if he was going to be working on the film and he said he had already begun. The first movie looked like and felt like a long episode of SpongeBob. Not to say this is bad, the movie was absolutely hilarious and memorable. From the looks of the trailer, this movie is going to be a cinematic experience. I can already tell they've brought in people experienced in the film industry to help make this movie even more memorable than the first. Will it get some negative reviews? yeah. Critical reviewers are, well, CRITICAL.

Back