Cartoon Network Powerpuff Girls is getting a reboot

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
I'm glad Craig McCracken is going back to what made him famous in the animation community! I know he's going to put his heart into this one!

I'm also glad that the trainwreck known as Powerpuff Girls 2016 is now another blip in the Cartoon Network history continuum, representing an era of shameless Cartoon Network cashgrabs, although The CW is still apparently retooling the Powerpuff live action superhero series (which still sits in development hell).

If Craig McCracken is back at the helm, I just hope it means Tara Strong, Cathy Cavadini and Elizabeth G. Daily are returning to voice the titular superheroines. Tom Kenny will return as the Mayor/Narrator, but something tells me they'll find somebody new that sounds similar to Tom Kane to voice Professor Utonium and HIM, as Tom Kane has retired from voice acting due to a life-threatening stroke. Roger L. Jackson might return to voice Mojo Jojo.

Last edited:

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
Some more details on the show:
They are going to try to get the main cast back for the show.
Mrs. Bellium is going to be in it.
There is going to be a storyline in the show.

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
Some more details on the show:
They are going to try to get the main cast back for the show.
Mrs. Bellium is going to be in it.
There is going to be a storyline in the show.
I believe the only thing that will change is the hiring of a new voice actor to replace Tom Kane as Professor Utonium and HIM, since a stroke put Tom Kane into retirement...

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
I want Tara Strong to return, Bubbles voice would not be the same with Kath Soucie in the role. Tara had more experience with her. If anything, since Hanna-Barbera Europe is handling this version of the cartoon, maybe they could get Emma Tate, who voiced Bubbles in the British Powerpuff Girls dub if neither Tara or Kath are available to reprise the role...

PinkPugPrincess

Baby Patrick Star
Staff
I want Tara Strong to return, Bubbles voice would not be the same with Kath Soucie in the role. Tara had more experience with her. If anything, since Hanna-Barbera Europe is handling this version of the cartoon, maybe they could get Emma Tate, who voiced Bubbles in the British Powerpuff Girls dub if neither Tara or Kath are available to reprise the role...
But there is this stuff with Tara supporting PETA and NFTs. So that's why she shouldn't be asked back. But if she does return, I won't really care.

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
But there is this stuff with Tara supporting PETA and NFTs. So that's why she shouldn't be asked back. But if she does return, I won't really care.
I guess that would narrow it down to Maryke Hendrikse (the English voice actress for Bubbles in Powerpuff Girls Z anime), Kath Soucie (Bubbles' voice actress in the pilot episodes), or Emma Tate (The voice actress for Bubbles in the British English Powerpuff Girls dub originally seen on Channel 5 UK).
For Professor Utonium, I could picture David Kaye taking over for Tom Kane, who ended his voice acting career when he suffered from a life-threatening stroke.

Here's a video comparing both the US and UK voice actresses for both the original and British English dub:

Cathy Cavadini (US) and Maria Darling (UK) - Blossom
Tara Strong (US) and Emma Tate (UK) - Bubbles
E.G. Daily (US) and Jo Wyatt (UK) - Buttercup

PinkPugPrincess

Baby Patrick Star
Staff
I guess that would narrow it down to Maryke Hendrikse (the English voice actress for Bubbles in Powerpuff Girls Z anime), Kath Soucie (Bubbles' voice actress in the pilot episodes), or Emma Tate (The voice actress for Bubbles in the British English Powerpuff Girls dub originally seen on Channel 5 UK).
For Professor Utonium, I could picture David Kaye taking over for Tom Kane, who ended his voice acting career when he suffered from a life-threatening stroke.

Here's a video comparing both the US and UK voice actresses for both the original and British English dub:

Cathy Cavadini (US) and Maria Darling (UK) - Blossom
Tara Strong (US) and Emma Tate (UK) - Bubbles
E.G. Daily (US) and Jo Wyatt (UK) - Buttercup

I've heard Maria, Emma, and Jo in other shows I grew up with as a child, but I was actually never aware of the British dub until I saw a video where lines from "Boogie Frights" were dubbed by them. The British dub was short-lived and did air on Channel 5, but the original version was airing on Cartoon Network, hence why this dub was short-lived.
Where I Have Heard The Others
Note: Media in bold is the most recognisable to me.
  • Maria Darling - Fifi and the Flowertots, Roary the Racing Car, The Backyardigans (UK dub)​
  • Emma Tate - The Backyardigans (UK dub), Horrid Henry, Moshi Monsters: The Movie​
  • Jo Wyatt - Angelina Ballerina, The Mr. Men Show​

PinkPugPrincess

Baby Patrick Star
Staff
This reboot will mark the return of series creator Craig McCracken at the helm as a continuation of the The Powerpuff Girls Classic TV series.

The previous reboot was a soulless cashgrab which quietly ended three years ago after three seasons...
Yes. Quoting the wiki's page:
The show eventually came to a suddenly abrupt end after the airing of Sideline Dad on June 16, 2019. Since then, there has been speculation on future episodes due to the lack of an official announcement saying that it is over. Many fans have considered the possibility that the series ended due to the fact that many crew and cast members moved on to work on other projects (Disney, Netflix, Nickelodeon, etc.), while others claim that it is only on hold for many years. Sometime in 2020, Kevvy Fajas announced on his Twitter page that the staff that worked on the series had parted ways and moved on to other projects, confirming the end of the series after three seasons.

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
I also think Hynden Walch or Isabella Acres could be great substitutions for Tara Strong as Bubbles, after hearing both Hynden's and Isabella's nice, sweet-sounding voices as Princess Bubblegum, but I'm just spitballing...or should I say, "gumspitting" (me and my crazy bubblegum puns! XD) about the new voice actress for Bubbles...I think a good excuse for Bubbles' new voice could be that she matured somewhat since the 1998 cartoon series...

PinkPugPrincess

Baby Patrick Star
Staff
I also think Hynden Walch or Isabella Acres could be great substitutions for Tara Strong as Bubbles, after hearing both Hynden's and Isabella's nice, sweet-sounding voices as Princess Bubblegum, but I'm just spitballing...or should I say, "gumspitting" (me and my crazy bubblegum puns! XD) about the new voice actress for Bubbles...I think a good excuse for Bubbles' new voice could be that she matured somewhat since the 1998 cartoon series...
Hynden and Tara have also both been Harley Quinn.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Now how is this the first I'm hearing of this? Gonna be honest, I don't have high expectations lmao. Yeah, McCracken's back, but idk...I'm skeptical.

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
I don't recall a live-action movie.
They were getting a live-action Powerpuff series on The CW TV network, which is currently stalling in development hell, going through a revolving door of actresses and rewritten scripts...

They did get an animated movie in 2002, and while it was okay, it did poorly in the box office due to it being marketed poorly.

I'm glad Craig McCracken, the creator, has returned to make The Powerpuff Girls great again!

It'll be better this way than it has been, when the 2016 Powerpuff Girls reboot was helmed by Nick Jennings and Bob Boyle, when they took their version of the show in so many bad, cringe-worthy directions...I'm glad that version was cancelled, so that Craig McCracken can right their wrongs, just like how Jason Reitman righted the wrongs of Paul Feig, concerning the Ghostbusters films' legacies with Afterlife after the dismal failure of Answer the Call...

Back