Possible inspiration for the Krabby Patty Secret Formula

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I was watching an episode of the 80's G.I Joe cartoon called "The Traitor" and while I don't have proof I think this is how Stephen Hillenburg got the idea for SpongeBob's secret formula!

The G.I Joe episode revolved around Dusty betraying the Joes and giving Cobra a "secret formula" for armor

Meaning that this was the first cartoon to utilize the concept

I also realized that Plankton is trying to be like the Cobra Commander by his plans of world domination

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I've never watched the cartoon you refer to, and though it's technically possible, I highly doubt that Stephen was directly inspired by this (or any other particular show/movie). I may be wrong, but as Hillenburg wasn't the only writer on the show, he may not even have been the one to first reference the Krabby Patty secret formula.

Not to rain on your parade, but the secret formula/recipe/key/etc. trope has been around almost as long as human beings have told stories. Almost as long as our ability to draw connections between disparate facts that are, in fact, hardly ever causal in nature. šŸ™ƒ

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I always thought it was the "secret sauce" that Del Taco puts in their chicken soft tacos. At least, I've never found out what's in it... :oops:

Or this:

Back