Patteh's Top 20 Favourite Modern SpongeBob Episodes

Patty Sponge

Always Fear
WARNING: May Contain Opinions

Like alot of the SpongeBob fanbase, I'm another one of the fans that agree that the show has dropped a bomb in quality after the release of the movie (except Season 4, I loved that season). Season 5 was ok. Season 6 was horrible. Season 7, I can't quite say my opinion on since I haven't seen all the episodes yet even though it gave birth to my least favourite SB episode, and the same thing can said about Season 8 and Season 9 (minus the least favourite episode thing). But looking past the bad, there are still some pretty funny, well written, well made, memorable episodes that can be up there with episodes such as 'Band Geeks' or something (Well probably not, but I'm just banging rocks together here). While there are alot more good episodes, I'm gonna countdown twenty of my most favourite modern SpongeBob episodes, past Season 4 because like I said, Season 4 was a great season. It probably isn't an exact list of what I would think but it's atleast something. But enough talking about stuff that you probably won't read anyway, here are a quick list of honorable mentions that didn't make the final cut.

Krusty Krushers
Eek, an Urchin!
Plankton's Pet
aaandd... that's it.

So let's begin the list.

20. It's a SpongeBob Christmas! (S8EP175)

300px-Margin-spongebobchristmas.jpg

Now I don't like this episode as much as other people. I found the premise and conflict too cliche and overdone and just didn't exactly click for me. I would say it was even lucky to get on this list, but the animation. The absoluetly brilliant stop-motion animation is just enough to make this actually get on this list, along with a few good jokes and one brilliant joke. Really don't know what else to say.

19. Friend or Foe? (S5EP81)

300px-Friend_or_Foe.PNG

Wow I didn't think I would be starting this list with two 22 minute long specials, but hey. Friend or Foe? is a memorable, well written look back at the childhoods of Mr. Krabs and Plankton. It shows a great performance from both Clancy Brown and Doug Lawrence who do a great job playing their characters. Although the best part of the whole special were the Patchy segments.

18. Suction Cup Symphony (S6EP103b)

300px-Suction_Cup_Symphony.png

I have similar thoughts to this as It's a SpongeBob Christmas well I found most of it pretty weak with maybe a couple of good jokes. But also like It's a SpongeBob Christmas, it's on the list because of the climax. The music is absoluetly wonderful to listen to and alot of great humour towards it and it's really nice to see Squidward win in the end. I definatly agree with the audience at the end.

17. No Hat for Pat (S6EP120a)

300px-Pat_Hat.jpg

I originally considered this just a good episode. Not a great episode, but just a good one. But as I got older, I began to respect this episode alot and finally notice how great of a character Patrick was in this episode. It's nice to see an episode where while the character is being injured, they're happy with it. Sure, Mr. Krabs is a bit of a jerk in this episode, but it's excusable. But I think the best thing about the whole episode is SpongeBob's character. He completely has his normal personality straight from the beginning to the end and it's one of those few SpongeBob episodes in Season 6 where I actually liked SpongeBob all the way through.

16. The Bad Guy Club for Villains (S7EP135b)

300px-The_Bad_Guy_Club_for_Villains.jpg

Just like 'No Hat for Pat', I originally considered this just an ok episode, mostly because I wasn't a fan of the designs the heroes and villains were given. But then I rewatched the episode a while ago and I began to love the humour shown like Mermaidman thinking while doing a sumersalt and the villains being caught in one of the heroes hairnet (Can't quite remember his name, but I don't care) and it's followed by a pretty funny twist along with SpongeBob and Patrick then talking about the SpongeBob credits shown on the TV which just makes it the icing on the cake.

15. Planet of the Jellyfish

300px-Planetofthejellyfish.PNG

While I haven't exactly seen the movies it's parodying such as 'Invasion of the Bodysnatchers', I atleast knew the concepts of the movies so I could atleast understand them. It's tells the parodying very well and adds alot of great humour towards it. Also, the beginning with the music from the old episodes was just a punch in the face with nostalgia, it was just great to listen to it in a SpongeBob episode again.

Stay tuned for the next 15 episodes.

Patty Sponge

Always Fear
TheSlash-BringingHasher said:
There was not been a bad episode yet, All great choices :)
Thanks. But believe me, there might be one episodes in my next 5 that will get very controversial. and just remember. Warning: May Contain Opinions.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
I'm liking this list so far. And your explanations are short and sweet, which is good. I'm following :)

But anyways, I liked all the episodes you listed, except for SCS. I thinks it's overrated, but yes, "WARNING: May Contain Opinions" :P

Patty Sponge

Always Fear
14. The Two Faces of Squidward (S5EP99a)

300px-The_Two_Faces_of_Squidward.pngces_of_Squidward.png

Now the beginning of this episode starts out a bit annoying, but when it gets to the part of Squidward finding out he's now handsome, the episode just gets great from that point. The reactions of the Bikini Bottom citizens are perfect and I love how his handsomeness actually uncripples some of the residents, and of cause, the best part where Squidward is even more handsomer and when he's just waving his hands in slowmotion as he falls is just perfect. These writers should give themselves a pat on the back.

13. Spongicus (S6EP103a)

300px-Spongicus.jpg

Ok this will be the last Season 6 episode on this list and I think it's great for the season to depart us their best episode imo, Spongicus. Originally I considered Suction Cup Symphony to be the best Season 6 episode but then I chagned my mind with this episode. It's funny, it's memorable, it's another original take on Plankton trying to steal the Krusty Krab's customers and is just made better with the ending when all the characters just get bored of laughing and walk away which I found really funny.

12. Mermaidman Begins (S8EP163a)

300px-Mermaid_Man_Begins.png

Mermaidman Begins is a take on the writers story on how Mermaidman and Barnacleboy became. Well, Mermaidman and Barnacleboy. Starting off with some funny exposition and then leading straight to the plot where both Mermaidman and Barnacleboy both tell their take on their origin in a pretty clever fashion, but then followed by the real origin story which is another one of those 'build an obvious exposition and then make the joke that the objective comes from something else'. It takes alot of creativity to write an episode like this and the writers here definatly showed this.

11. Back to the Past (S7EP135a)

300px-Back_to_the_Past.jpg

Yep, there's alot of Mermaidman episodes so far on this list, and spoiler alert, this isn't the end of it. This episodes has the same length time as my favourite SB episode of all time and it isn't just that which makes the episode great. It uses alot of great humour, great writing and just generally great creativity, which is made even better by the inclusion of Batman and Robin themselves, Adam West and Burt Ward, who, considering West voices my favourite character from Family Guy, is enough to call this a great episode even without everything I previously mentioned.

10. SpongeBob You're Fired (S9EP189)

300px-Spongebob_you_fired.png

Yep, we're starting to play with fire now people, and I think I should remind everyone (WARNING: May Contain Opinions). SpongeBob You're Fired is currently my favourite episode of Season 9 and is what I consider, a much improved version of Bummer Vacation which I thought was meh. I originally watched this episode in Greece but muted it and I could sort of understand what was going on. Very recently, I watched the episode in english, watching it just to see how bad people are saying it to be. But instead of hating it, I loved it. Some of the best humour I've seen this season and the climax is the best part of all. I do have a couple of nitpicks such as SpongeBob's crying begining to get annoying and the somewhat racism in the restaurants that SpongeBob tries to work at, but apart from that, it's still a very solid episode. Just one last thing I'd like to mention, even though I mentioned this in the episode thread, I'd like to remind about people's thoughts towards the wonders of unemployeement. Guys, this is a cartoon. Don't take your political views from cartoons. Thank you.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
While I found this episode boring, this part was definitely the highlight for me:

SO08EPj.gif

Good choices, and why was "Back To The Past" a longer episode then the rest? =/ I've always wondered.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
100-Percent-Spongy said:
While I found this episode boring, this part was definitely the highlight for me:

SO08EPj.gif

Good choices, and why was "Back To The Past" a longer episode then the rest? =/ I've always wondered.
I believe it was going to be a special but it got the Shanghaied treatment, minus the whole Patchy's pick and unaired scenes thing.

Patty Sponge

Always Fear
9. The Donut of Shame (S5EP90b)

300px-The_Donut_of_Shame.jpg

Moving back into Season 5 teritory, we've got The Donut of Shame, a less than 11-minutes episode with Patrick getting scared after he assumed he stole one of SpongeBob's donuts. I love this episode because it's a very relatable episode, where probably once in someone's life, they believe they stole an item from a friend and gets scared when they find evidence about it and the friend has actually given that person the item as a gift. There's also alot of funny humour like the china dishes falling off the shelf and the good and bad consciences with Patrick saying 'I Hate Conflict!' It's just another good Season 5 episode, what else.

8. Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go! (S8EP176a)

300px-Aquaticvillain.jpg

I'm really suprised how no one talks about this episode, so looks like I'm gonna have to be the first person who talks about it. I originally read the plot of this episode a while back and I just thought it was stupid. Plankton teaming up with Man Ray. Gawsh, these writers are running out of ideas. But when I got round to watching it, it was a great episode. I loved the beginning about how Plankton is appartantly now homeless and it doesn't just show Man Ray being all evil, he's actually acting all friendly. The climax is fun to watch and makes Mermaidman and Barnacleboy being dragged into the plot work.

7. Mermaidman vs. SpongeBob (S5EP94b)

300px-Mermaid_Man_vs._SpongeBob.jpg

Sadly, this is the last Mermaidman-themed episode that's on this list, and what a great farewell it is, just like Spongicus. Mermaidman vs. SpongeBob is another creatively written episode on Plankton's attempt to steal the forumla. I loved the commercial at the beginning of the episode, I loved Plankton playing with the Mermaidman toys and then beating up a poster of Mr. Krabs on the food box and then Mermaidman throwing SpongeBob on the floor several times after being brainwashed by Plankton, and then finishes off with a clever ending.

6. InSPONGEiac (S8EP171b)

300px-Sbinspongeiac.PNG

Here's another episode where I'm playing with fire. Like some of the previous episodes on this list, InSPONGEiac is another one of those episodes which starts off pretty weak as I didn't like Mr. Krabs' point proved just by SpongeBob slightly flipping a krabby patty. But after that, the episode is pure gold that's dug under the dirt of hatridge this episode gets. Patrick's moments were hilariously funny and I loved his story and then SpongeBob getting all trippy when trying to get to sleep, like the giant Mr. Krabs mustard dispencer or the talking glass of milk and then the sleeping king finally getting him to sleep. My only two nitpicks other than the beginning is I found SpongeBob sleeping in Gary's littertray a bit gross and SpongeBob's crying at the end can get a bit annoying, but they don't ruin a really creative episode.

5. Spy Buddies (S5EP84a)

300px-Spy_Buddies.JPG

Talk about a brilliant spy movie parodying episode from it's great humour to the big twist ending. There was so much I loved about the episode, the James Bond style intro with SpongeBob, the Krabby Patty about to self-destruct, the gadgets Sandy 'gives' them, Plankton buying baby clothes and stamps, Patrick burning Plankton with a magnifying glass, the self destruct button on the spymobile, Patrick entering the Chum Bucket with his lazer, the Chum Bucket exploading from the lazer. There's just so much good about this episode, I don't think I'll have time to mention. Highly recommend watching it.

Stay tuned as I reveal the last 4 picks on 'Patteh's Top 20 Favourite Modern SpongeBob Episodes'.

PinkPearl

insert title here
I'm glad to see Mermaidman vs. Spongebob, Spy Buddies, The Two Faces of Squidward, and Friend or Foe on here. I didn't care for Suction Cup Symphony, but as you said it was still nice to see Squidward win. I absolutely must get around to seeing It's a Spongebob Christmas and Mermaidman Begins. Good choices so far!

nicoyazawa227

にっこにっこにー♪
Super Aquatic Villain Team Is A Go! loses some points for me only cuz Plankton has a Krabby Patty in front of him for a good minute and does nothing to it.

Pretty agreeable choices, for the most part, and I like how they're not ones that you usually see, it makes things more interesting. Getting ready for the next three! :O

Patty Sponge

Always Fear
and now the moment you've all been waiting for....
DadadadadadadadadaddadadadadDAdadadadadaSdadadadadadadadadadadaditydaditydaditydadaditydaditydadaity*puff*daditydaditydaditydaditydaditydadityDA!!!!!!!

4. Sing a Song of Patrick (S5EP89b)

300px-Sing_a_Song_of_Patrick.jpg

Imo, 'Twinkle Twinkle Patrick Star' is perhaps the best modern SpongeBob song and it isn't just the only thing about this episode that makes it great. If it was just that, it would probablly be around the top 20-11. So what is so great about this episode. Well apart from everything, nothing. Like alot of the previous episodes in the list, it only takes a little bit of creativity to make a masterpiece. It's funny. It's wonderful. It's well written. I've mentioned this several times in my other entries but I can't exactly think of any more original thoughts to say what's so good about an episode. Patrick, your song may cause houses to melt, family portraits to flip the other way round, crash cars, heads expload, relationships to be broke, crash planes, cause fireworks and then a angry mob where your old gym teacher starts throwing dodgeballs at you, but I still love your song. Good job Pat. Good job.

3. Boat Smarts (S5EP84b)

300px-Boat_Smarts.jpg

We've got another one folks. Back when I started making SpongeBob scoreboards, this started out as just a meh episode. It would have been a bad episode if it wasn't for the Squdiward test dummy part. But then I rewatched the episode a while back and my opinion of this episode changed from meh to great. It's pretty much the short version of Funny Pants where everyone hates this episode except for me as I found it funny all the way through. The timing and the originality of the slapstick humour towards Squidward is done brilliantly and makes it alot more funnier. This is perhaps my favourite short of Season 5, since I didn't like The Krusty Plate or Picture Day, I thought Pat No Pay was ok and I thought both SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget and Rise and Shine were good. The only two shorts in Season 5 that I thought was great was The Donut of Shame (You can see my thoughts on it at number 9) and this episode, and like I said earlier, this takes the cake on the best short of Season 5.

2. Face Freeze! (S8EP172a)

300px-Face_Freeze.png

Yep. Here's my number 2 choice. Perhaps the most contriversial episode in SpongeBob history. Come get me. But before you do, just allow me to explain why I think this an unappreciated Season 8 classic. The episode follows the simple 'Protaganists is warned not to misbehave, but they do so anyway and get punished for their actions'. Now I am getting real sick of people now calling this plot a rip-off of episodes like 'Hooky'. This kind of plot is what I call a plot template, where they just keep a simple message but try to be original in everyway other. So Mr. Krabs warns SpongeBob and Patrick that if they keep making faces, they'll freeze that way, but they continue to do so and therefore face the consequences. He he. face. That's funny because this episode's called 'Face Freeze!'. He he. While there are quite a few good jokes around this episode, what makes this episode deserve number 2 spot in my top 20 favourite modern spongebob episdoes list, is the faces SpongeBob and Patrick make throughout the episode. Most people call them horrifying, scary and 'is this a kids show?' questioning. But what I call them, are animation geniuses. So why do I love them so much? Well, they remind me of some of the most creepiest stuff shown on kid shows from the 80s. Let's take Pingu for example. It's an innocent stop-motion show with a penguin who lives with his family and does stuff like fishing with his seal friend. But there are also an episode where Pingu runs away and starts seeing creepy ice sculptures of skulls and gargoyles, or another episode where Pingu is dreaming about being stalked by a giant creepy walrus, and that's fine. Children need to be exposed to scariness as kids, sure it will give them nightmares and stuff, but it will teach them that the world isn't just ice cream and pizza. There is scary things in this world, and they hape to learn to face that scariness. If we're thinking about no longer exposing kids to scariness in their cartoons, then we've doomed the entire human race. Great job internet. Great job. Overall, it's a fantastic episode and is perhaps up there with some of my favourite SpongeBob episodes. Sure. perhaps the ending might not support the message it's given, but I have a theory about this but I don't have enough time. All I can say is, watch the episode and make your own judgement.

1. Roller Cowards (S5EP86a)

300px-Roller_Cowards.jpg

This is absoletuly a perfect episode in all ways and has everything I love in a SpongeBob episode. Great humour, Great writing, Memorable quotes and jokes, and uses a relatability plot for the story. Is there anything bad about this episode? Well, there's just one. WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS, GO WATCH THE EPISODE IMMEDIATELY. I don't care if you watch it on TV, DVD, VHS or watch it off the internet, if you haven't seen this episode already, go. See it. Thank you.

And that. Is my top 20 favourite modern SpongeBob episodes. I hope you enjoyed reading it and remember. WARNING: May Contain Opinions.
That is all.

Leedles

Leedle
I actually really enjoy Boat Smarts and Face Freeze. As for your other controversial picks, No Hat for Pat is rather good, Spongebob You're Fired is so bad it's good IMO, and I quite enjoyed the Patrick bits in InSPONGEiac.

Back