Original Wonka vs. New Wonka

Which do you like better?

• Total voters

PinkPearl

insert title here
This was on TV in our house tonight and it got me thinking. (I didn't see any recent topics devoted to this lately...maybe.) Which Wonka movie is better?

For me, it's got to be the 1971 version. I feel like it captured the spirit more, plus Gene Wilder made a much better Wonka. Johnny Depp wasn't bad either, but the movie was darker than the original story and the backstory just felt out of place. The songs were also a lot less memorable (save for that stupid song about "Cheering Up Charlie" in the first one...ugh).

Illiniguy34

That Reviewing Guy
Definitely the original, b0ss. The Burton remake just doesn't have the magic or even the cheeriness of the original. In fact even when I was a kid, I absolutely hated the Charlie in the remake. I mean my God, lighten up kid! You're like one step away from becoming Goth or Emo for Christ's sake.

Supmandude

Squog
Everything Tim Burton has done in the past like 20 years has been total garbage. The original is a classic and one of the greatest most amazing and perfect movies of all time!!!

Cha

I love SBM
The original felt less weird and awkward, so I'll go with him. BUT the newer Wonka had a cool backstory that I really enjoyed. Plus the newer factory was better in general.

imrustyokay

Twitter: @imrustyokay
I like both equally because, their pretty crazy. The original captures it in an psychotic light, while the remake captures it in a comedic light.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
I think for some reason the original is still better, if only for the scene where Wonka temporarily has a mental breakdown, although I do admit to liking the storyline in the new film with the backstory of Wonka's dad and getting Charlie to run the factory. Gave it a little more substance.

Sweat

Banished
I really like both, but the 1977 version is marginally better as I'd rather watch a cheery version better than a dark version. I actually love the really dark tones in Burton's take, though, and surprisingly, it fit together really well. I really didn't find his take that awkward at all.

The remake is the better film. It's a lot closer to the original source material, Depp's Wonka actually proves more realistic (him being pale, for example). I dug Wonka's backstory a whole lot more than that stupid competition subplot they added in the original film. The Oompa Loompa songs are a lot less obnoxious (though they do have that annoying "Willy Wonka" song in the remake, so it evens out). I overall think the remake does a better job at adapting the novel. Yes, Charlie is a bit of a "perfect kid" in the newer film, because admittedly the newer film has flaws as well. Not to say the original film was bad, it's a classic, but I really don't think it was nearly as good as people make it out to be. Both films are above average, though I think both pale in comparison to the novel. That is, until Dahl completely dropped the ball and made an unnecessary sequel.

SpaceRob

Baby Clam
How is this even a contest, seriously. The original is camp, and that's it's main attraction. The new one is just another Hollywood movie.

Hoopla!

Pepper Jack Cheese
I have DVDs of both movies, so yes, I've watched both of them.

The original one is honestly kind of disturbing. For one you have:
•Boy gets sucked into a tube
•Girl turns into a blueberry
•Another boy gets shrunk down to microscopic size
•That other girl...what exactly happened to her again?
Also, the tunnel scene gave me nightmares when I was like 4, but I'm over it now, but still...

I haven't seen the modern one in a few years because the DVD is crammed in the shed, so the classic one. Gonna find the DVD and if it's any better I'll edit this.

Back