Original Character Concepts

Wumbo

Part Computer or Something
I always like to see how characters change from early concepts to when they're first shown on screen. The SpongeBob cast especially has some pretty significant changes. If you know of any I missed, please share!

Here are the main characters as Hillenburg first drew them:

cast.jpg

mr_crabs.jpg
patrick.jpg
squidward.jpg
PaulTibbitt.jpg
<------------This one doesn't really count but I thought it was funny

Kerststol

Amyroos
I like those. I actually like it better than the finished product :P. It just has a 90's quirky feel to it. I'm not a nostalgia-tard, but I just like those kind of designs.

Cosmic-Loop

♥♫ The Luigi Queen ♫♥
Far away from California and/or Florida :,(
OMG YES since i have characters of my own i'm really familiar with character "evolution" lol

and its just really cool

RedSoxFan274 said:
I can't decide how I would've felt about Sandy having a horse... or whatever that thing is.

EDIT: Oh God it's Pearl. Didn't even recognize.
IM LAUGHING

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
SpongeRoadie UK said:
So they were originally going to spell Krabs's last name correctly?
Yes, and "Krusty Krab" was originally "Crusty Crab", hence the "C" on SpongeBob and Squidward's uniform hats.

Squidina

Tintenfisch
Oh, these are all sooooo cool!

You know, it strikes me how close the designs actually were - Mr. Hillenburg had the basics of the characters' designs down pretty solid already. (I've seen early concept designs from other things where the characters were changed almost completely.)

I also really like that 'character size comparison' sheet. That'd be really useful - as I had a lot of problems determining how tall SB was supposed to be exactly. (I kept thinking he went to about Squiddy's waist.)

EDIT: Oh, and there's Plankton! Wow, I didn't notice him at first - how cute!

RedSoxFan274 said:
I can't decide how I would've felt about Sandy having a horse... or whatever that thing is.

EDIT: Oh God it's Pearl. Didn't even recognize.
Ohhh, my sides! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Best thing I've read all day!

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
These designs are hip, they're coral! But seriously, I love how funky they look compared to the finished product. I love it! :D Question: Are these designs in the Experience book?

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
SpongyBunny said:
These designs are hip, they're coral! But seriously, I love how funky they look compared to the finished product. I love it! :D Question: Are these designs in the Experience book?
Not the ones in the original post specifically, but there are a ton of others like them. Lots of really great concept art as well as art from the show like paintings and production drawings, so I highly recommend the book. :)

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
DadMom AngryPants said:
Not the ones in the original post specifically, but there are a ton of others like them. Lots of really great concept art as well as art from the show like paintings and production drawings, so I highly recommend the book. :)
And other then ordering the book, I would buy it at...... Barnes and Noble perhaps? I was thinking of heading there with my mom today.

RedSoxFan274

Baseball. Hockey. SBM vet. I drop in unexpectedly.
Ohhh, my sides! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Best thing I've read all day!

I still don't know how I made that mistake, but when I first looked at it I saw Sandy sitting on something big and it looked like a farm animal! I mean, given the context, that seems plausible, right? I was thinking back to episodes like Blackjack, I suppose. After all, why would Sandy be SITTING on Pearl's nose anyway? In the show they wound up not even KNOWING each other. o.o This makes me think that they were originally planned to be "girl friends" or something of that nature.

Cha

I love SBM
And other then ordering the book, I would buy it at...... Barnes and Noble perhaps? I was thinking of heading there with my mom today.
That's where I got mine. If it's not still available there, I'd recommend their online store or Amazon.

Squidina

Tintenfisch
I still don't know how I made that mistake, but when I first looked at it I saw Sandy sitting on something big and it looked like a farm animal! I mean, given the context, that seems plausible, right? I was thinking back to episodes like Blackjack, I suppose. After all, why would Sandy be SITTING on Pearl's nose anyway? In the show they wound up not even KNOWING each other. o.o This makes me think that they were originally planned to be "girl friends" or something of that nature.

Oh, really, no worries! I.. Didn't even notice Pearl at first (how I could not notice a whale, eh.. - I thought Sandy was standing on a cliff or rock or whatever (I totally did not even look really). And your post with the mistake and then the edit, was just pure gold! Be proud. :D

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
CowBob RanchPants said:
That's where I got mine. If it's not still available there, I'd recommend their online store or Amazon.
Oh yeah, I think you might've told me this in the experience book thread already :P

Murvine Taylor

Proud Hater of GoAnimate Boris!
The original designs look different than the designs that are used for the show. I am not trying to be mean, but I find the original designs to be a bit sloppy.

Insomnia

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Well these are just abstract sketches.
Original concept art for characters is one thing I just love seeing, also it's interesting he came up with Pearl so early as I don't see any of the other more prominent characters here.

Back