OfficerSquidward

Imitation Krab
So as we all know, Spongebob has had a pretty bumpy ride over the years. The general consensus for a long time was that the first 3 seasons were the classics, and that after their first movie, Spongebob started to slip in quality. After the second movie, Sponge Out of Water, more seasons came out, and people’s opinions started to differ more and more. While some people still believe the first 3 (maybe 4) seasons were the only truly good seasons, a lot of folks have started to take a second look at the Post-Movie era and realize that it has many good episodes throughout, and that most episodes weren’t quite nearly as awful as we all made them sound (even A Pal for Gary has a few redeeming quips despite Spongebob’s uncharacteristic behavior). Moreso, fans have been giving a lot of praise to the Post-Sequel seasons, a few even claiming them better than the original classics!

BUUUUT I’m getting off-track. Spongebob is an interesting show that is constantly changing, producing many diverse viewpoints. It has MANY ups and downs throughout, and each episode is special for its own reasons. There is a whole lot I want to talk about regarding this show, but to start off simply, let’s go ahead and get some of the easy topics out of the way. While I do think Spongebob has gotten better over the years, it has definitely suffered a period of mediocrity at one point, producing quite a few stinkers.

Today, I am going to be talking about what I personally deem to be the worst episodes of the series. If you happen to like any of these episodes for any reason, just know that I respect your opinion and actually enjoy hearing from people with differing opinions. So if you have any thoughts, speak up. Out of everything on this list, I only truly hate 3 of the episodes on here, and even those, I can still watch without a problem. These are mostly just episodes that I tend to avoid when looking for something to watch that day.

Kicking off the list, we have…

#10. Squirrel Jelly (Season 11, Episode 241a)
Untitled125_20210807004920.png

When I first revisited Spongebob, not only did I rewatch a few older episodes (especially for this list), I decided to dedicate part of my journey to catching up on the new episodes. Namely, the second half of Season 9 until now. I’m not gonna lie, as much as I’ve been hearing how much better Spongebob had gotten, I had been a tad skeptical at first. The plots became a LOT more random than before, sometimes feeling a bit TOO random without coming up with anything witty. And while I appreciate the animation getting more expressive, it takes a while to get used to all your characters making these crazy, stretched out faces every 10 seconds, which starts to make it seem a bit too Ren and Stimpy. Not that I don’t love Ren and Stimpy, but even during the Mid-Seasons (5-8), Spongebob always had a slightly more chill tone to it, even during its quirkier episodes. When I finish rewatching the show in its entirety, my perspective might change, but this is how I feel right now, just coming back to this show.

I will say that after watching more episodes, however, I’ve come to appreciate Modern Spongebob a lot more than I did initially. The plots have gotten truly surreal. That I still can’t deny. But for the most part, a good chunk of them do make some lick of sense, and those that don’t, I’ve come to take with a pinch of salt. Sometimes, a little blatant silliness is okay (The String, for example, is probably one of my favorite Modern episodes). And after some deep thinking, while the characters do still retain some of their more dislikeable qualities, the staff has definitely put more effort into making them feel more genuine, and they’ve even been giving some much needed screen-time to characters we don’t see too often (Sandy, Pearl, Karen).

Overall, I will fully admit that spinoffs aside, Spongebob has gotten better in the later years, even if it is kind of “Simpsoning out”. Of course, like any long-running show, it’s still bound to have a few duds. This one I didn’t see until much more recently, but it is a pretty good example of why I wasn’t entirely fond of where Spongebob was going at first. It’s one of the few episodes of the show where Sandy becomes a little bit unlikeable, to say the least.

This episode starts off with Spongebob, Patrick, and Sandy playing basketball, and Spongebob and Patrick have been dribbling for… ten whole minutes! Now, I can understand Sandy’s frustration when she finally makes a makeshift ball of her own, and goes on with her turn. I mean, after ten minutes, come on!

Spongebob and Patrick: Dribble, dribble, dribble!

Anyways, they start doing other activities, and this is where Sandy starts to become reckless. You see, she goes on an insane power trip as she ruthlessly beats Spongebob, Patrick, and everyone else nearby in competitions. She acts a lot like she does in Pre-Hibernation Week, except back then, Sandy acted so brutal because she’s was desperate to make the most of her week before having to hibernate (sleep through the whole winter).

In that episode, there was a reason for her seemingly uncharacteristic behavior, and it was actually rather creative in reminding us that while she has many human qualities, at her core, she is still technically a squirrel. So of course, knowing how sporty and motivated Sandy is already, it makes sense that she’d go in a bit of a frenzy at this particular time. Here, her intensity doesn’t quite feel right because not only is there no explanation for this whatsoever, it’s played off as if this is just how Sandy normally acts. If you’ve never seen Sandy Cheeks before and this was the first episode you ever saw, you would get a completely wrong idea of the kind of person she is!

In this episode’s defense, it does seem to try and relate to more competitive people who do have the problem of getting a bit too into the game, which is why it’s not a bad idea to have Sandy act this way, necessarily. The problem is her reaction to the consequences caused by her mayhem.

Spongebob and Patrick are getting stressed out, so they try and hide out in Jellyfish Fields. Of course, she finds them there and tries to join in. While initially making an effort to play a little nicer, she ends up getting tired and decides to play by her own rules, but not before feeding the Jellyfish some Frankenstein fish food, which beef them up and even equip them with buzz saws. Buzz saws! And then she proceeds to wrangle and trap them mercilessly while simultaneously lighting a blazing trail with her high-powered rocket boots, causing a wildfire in Jellyfish Fields.

After all that, she starts to come to her senses, and yet, doesn’t seem to be all that concerned by the damage she’s done. She starts to feel as if maybe she’s going a little too far, and actually does make an effort to be less violent, but the horrific chaos she inflicted (which looks devastating) is merely brushed off, as she decides to just go back to the Tree Dome to become a pacifist monk, and swear off violence forever, even as Spongebob and Patrick end up running to her, being chased by a giant amalgam of all the pissed-off Jellyfish come together.

Untitled126_20210807005107.png
“Turns out, I’m the greatest at relaxin’, too.” (And running away from your problems!)

From here, it goes the route of cartoon plots that have a normally violent character going complete pacifist before turning back into their normal violent selves again. Sandy tries to find pacifist ways to defeat the monster Jellyfish. She finds that doesn’t work. So she then decides to just fight it, launching herself into its core, beating it up from the inside out until it disperses. And while Sandy seems to have learned her lesson at first, a Jellyfish stings her as she’s trying to pet it, so she chases after it. She may be a hothead, but it’s okay, because somehow, Jellyfish Fields is miraculously full of life by the end, so they don’t even need to fix anything!

Yeah… Sandy never really learns her lesson and doesn’t really do anything about the destruction she caused. I feel like there could’ve been much more emphasis on how over-competitiveness can end up being dangerous, but it was handled too quickly and haphazardly, for we all know a field would NOT be able to recover from a wildfire in that short of a time!

There are a few funny moments in this episode, however, like how Spongebob and Patrick are having an argument about which activity to do (even when both of them are wanting the same thing), and the end, where Patrick asks “Which one is Sandy again?” before smirking, as if to show that for once, he’s just joking. Also, after the big fight, where we see all the newly calmed Jellyfish in the background, No Name from Jellyfish Hunter can be found!

Untitled127_20210807005138.png

A lot of Modern Spongebob episodes seem to make a lot of reference to the classic seasons to try and appeal to older fans. While I feel that sometimes, it might be a little bit forced for the nostalgic appeal (My Leg! was okay, but it felt empty for that reason), I will always appreciate Easter Eggs such as this.

This one is not terrible, but definitely poor. I feel like with its extended runtime (about 15 instead of 11 minutes), it could’ve fixed its problems a lot easier. I will say, there is one Modern episode I actually dislike more than this, but that one will be saved for a bit later. It’s… interesting, to say the least.

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
Wow, that's a great job!
I appreciate you wrote all this long explaination. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Personally, I also do not like this episode but I need to rewatch it someday.

Awe

Floating Shopping List
Very good review! I totally agree with you about Squirrel Jelly, in my opinion it is the worst Sandy episode and just the worst portrayal of her in the whole show.

OfficerSquidward

Imitation Krab
Now here's a bad Mr. Krabs episode many people don't talk about!

#9. Mutiny on the Krusty (Season 9, Episode 204a)

Untitled135_20210816024953.png

Season 9 is an interesting season. To me, I feel like this season had some better episodes than even the best of Season 8, but a lot of people have had mixed views because despite those gems, Season 9 had a lot of unique, VERY unique duds of its own. Still, I do believe that despite such failures like Squid Baby and Spongebob You’re Fired, Spongebob has definitely picked up a bit from Season 8, not only through comedy (Eek! An Urchin, Evil Spatula, and Jailbreak! are absolutely hilarious), but also through expanding its art style, with more diverse one-shot characters and absolutely marvelous backgrounds that you could just put up on your desktop. I mean, look at this shot from the episode we’re talking about now.

Untitled134_20210816024929.png

It is a big improvement over Season 8, which was not bad, but still felt a tad dull. I think a big problem that still plagued the series in Season 9, however, was how one-dimensional and unlikeable the characters were around that point. Through a trope popularly known as flanderization, formerly nuanced characters like Spongebob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, and even Squidward would start to become simpler in personality, due to the growing overuse of one obvious character trait. Heck, even Sandy went through flanderization in the last episode I reviewed! However, that one only had one character act out this way. In this one, every main character gets flanderized in some way, shape, or form. Mr. Krabs is the worst out of all of them here, but Squidward and Spongebob do suffer from it to a more subtle degree.

The premise is that a severe rip current is roaring through Bikini Bottom, bringing about an awful storm, essentially. Customers are wanting to go home as quickly as possible, but Mr. Krabs is outright refusing to let people leave until they spend all of their money, even going as far as to snatch a woman’s purse and dump her cash in the register! As we can see, Mr. Krabs is clearly having a power trip of his own, which for Krabs, is very possible. But here’s the problem. All logic, and the little integrity he has, is thrown out the window seemingly just to make him appear more unlikeable. Now, having even a good character be unlikeable for one episode isn’t necessarily a bad thing, if done right. Every single one of us has flaws, and sometimes, even the best people can have their bad moments. It’s what makes us human, and that kind of nuance makes good characters. But it has to make sense for that character. The actions they take have to feel like something they would actually do. Here’s the thing about episodes like Jellyfish Hunter, Krabby Land, and The Krabby Kronicle. Even with his good moments, a cheapskate like him (especially one parodying real life fast food managers) might definitely be capable of committing shady acts. But that’s what’s important. Mr. Krabs is smart. He does everything in the dark, and he can often keep people distracted through his charisma and use of jokes, making him seem innocent and jolly old man, and less like a morally corrupt scam artist. He always tries to hide the horrible deeds he’s actually committing. Even when the show constantly jokes about the illegal ways he screws his own employees out of their money, Krabs is able to get away with it somehow. I may be getting a little off-track here, but my point is, Mr. Krabs is not a flat-out brute (usually).

There’s a subtlety to his villainy, and I truly believe that’s what this episode is missing. He acts like a tyrant from the middle ages, people rightfully call him out for it, and he gets mad and takes full control. They’re not allowed to leave until they spend all of their money, the employees are refused their paycheck… and everybody just goes with it, which brings up even problems with Krabs. The fact that not only do his decisions not make any sense, but there are no rules to them either!. How much power does Mr. Krabs actually have, exactly? Even as a franchise owner, surely he wouldn’t have enough authority to do the outright illegal things he’s doing here. He’s holding people hostage, and the worst part is, they pretty much roll over and do everything he says. There’s literally nothing stopping them from going back outside and driving home, even with the money detector in the doorway. The only obstacle is a “hurricane”, so to speak, and they were willing to fight through it anyway. A much more sensible way to write this would be to have Mr. Krabs refuse to let them stay inside the restaurant unless they spend all their money. It might still make Krabs seem unlikeable, but at least it wouldn’t feel as haphazardly written as it does here. It almost feels like this episode was rushed, just for the sake of moving on to the next one, which is kind of sad, because this episode has a LOT of potential, and could easily be a masterpiece.

You see, a ship with a loose anchor comes flying by, catching and hauling the Krusty Krab with it. This causes one hell of a ruckus, but luckily, Spongebob activates the emergency control that turns the restaurant into a whole vehicle of its own, allowing him to break loose and steer it safely. Spongebob has Squidward announce that everyone’s safe, and since Squidward made the announcement, the townspeople crown him captain, which is actually a really cool idea!

…Except Squidward doesn’t really do much. Most of the choices are governed by sheer convenience, and the townspeople seem to do most of the talking out of everyone, as they are constantly switching sides between Mr. Krabs and Squidward. At the beginning, the townspeople despise Mr. Krabs and want Squidward as their captain. But as soon as Spongebob convinces them to forgive Mr. Krabs, Krabs ends up falling out of the KK and into the rip current, and they blame Squidward for his death, wanting him back. But! Once they finally land without a scratch, they praise Squidward again. At least until a monster comes up and tries to bust through the glass, to which the townspeople throw our poor cephalopod to said monster when he initially refuses to fight it.

I’m not saying I would’ve expected Squidward to necessarily be a good captain, but I kind of wish he would’ve at least done something, even on accident, that actually wins over the townspeople’s respect somehow, giving Squidward the boost of confidence he needs to at least show he has some spine. Here, he just kind of feels flat, which is pretty normal for Squidward. But I feel like they tried a bit too hard to make Squidward more uncaring about the entire situation, when I feel like this episode could’ve open up an interesting, if temporary, rivalry between him and Mr. Krabs. Even though I normally laugh at Squidward’s sarcasm, even that feels more empty than it should here.

(back to when Squidward first announces that the Krusty Krab is not about to crash horribly)
Squidward: It’s alright now, everybody! Everything’s under control now. And… whatever!

Anyways, around this time (after Squidward’s been eaten), Mr. Krabs conveniently shows up, and Spongebob and the townsfolk plead for his help. However, Krabs still hasn’t quite gotten over them calling him a tyrant earlier. So what do they need to do? Beg for his forgiveness.

Untitled133_20210816024852.png

I’ve already mentioned how blatantly awful he is, so I won’t dig deep into that again. But I do have to bring up something that I feel this episode could’ve done. Instead of having everyone be inside the Krusty Krab for most of the episode, have the Krusty Krab be flat-out destroyed on impact, forcing everyone to survive outside in this harsh land. This would allow the perfect opportunity for Mr. Krabs to really show off his skills as a Navy Vet as he takes on the role of captain. Not only would we see a slightly more badass side to Krabs, it would provide a more natural transition to him actually being a tyrant, if you were going to go that route. I could totally see him being the “you listen to me or you can go off on your own, your choice” kind of leader, and that doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad thing. Just don’t have him straight up stealing money from people and then demanding they treat him with respect.

In terms of resolution, you could have his behavior and attitude take the episode in a different direction. Instead of demanding everyone’s respect because he is the “all-mighty”, make a point on why sometimes people need to stop fighting and listen to the authority figure when things go awry, like in the case of the monster. He’s not trying to be cruel. He’s just trying to make sure you don’t die, because this place is freaking dangerous, and Mr. Krabs would honestly have more experience than most people in this situation. It would be a much better message than what they actually seem to be aiming for, with Mr. Krabs being so despicably condescending when he hasn’t even done anything to deserve people kissing his feet, which brings out one more major problem.

Spongebob is one of those people. He seems totally cool with Mr. Krabs’ behavior.

Sure, Spongebob threatened to spend Krabs’ first dime (which was actually the only way to motivate Krabs when even begging didn’t work), but that’s it. What happened to the days of Can You Spare a Dime? and Stanley S. Squarepants where Spongebob could actually get fed up with people? At this point, I really feel like Spongebob would've at least started to get frustrated by Krab's stubbornness. I get that Spongebob is loyal to his boss, but he has a mind of his own. As trusting as he is, he would not just stand by while Mr. Krabs is obviously doing something awful, which is why I hate episodes like these where Spongebob seemingly has no problem with his boss's behavior, either by obliviousness, or in this instance, blind loyalty. Case in point, after Mr. Krabs saves everyone (including Squidward) from the massive creature, he has everyone drag the Krusty Krab back home by rope, while he and Spongebob sit comfortably on top.

Overall, this episode has a rather cool concept with a beautifully detailed, yet sadly underused environment. This could’ve brought some interesting character dynamics into play, but instead, everybody just kind of bickers throughout the episode. It’s not very funny (aside from maybe the “Hatty Patty” bit). It’s not that interesting. It’s just an incredible waste of potential.

Untitled132_20210816024813.png

Attachments

• Mutiny_on_the_Krusty_088.png
    Mutiny_on_the_Krusty_088.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
Wow, thanks for explaining in detail!
I would not expect this episode to be in your list so it is surprising for me.
When I watched this episode for the first time I did not understand what is going on and it was too random and weird for me. I rewatched this episode around 2 months ago and it was better than I remembered, but it is still weird and a bit complicated. A lot of this is due to the unique artstyle as you mentioned. I like the artsytle and uniquness in this episode. It is not a very funny episode for me, but it is something with good and cool concept and animation, so i agree it is a bit waste of potential. Overall ok episode for me.
I am looking forward the next review!

OfficerSquidward

Imitation Krab
I know it's been a while, but I'm not dead yet!

#8. Library Cards (Season 11, Episode 20b)
Untitled95_20210912030941.png

I already mentioned how there was one more Modern episode I disliked more than Squirrel Jelly. Well, here it is! It’s not Ink Lemonade, The Nitwitting, Sportz, or even Cuddle E. Hugs. It’s this little bugger, and one of the first Modern episodes I ever actually watched. I already said that I like the newer seasons more than I used to, but this did not leave a good impression, and I’m surprised more people didn’t talk about it!

Patrick brings his TV over to Spongebob’s one day because The Sir Urchin and Snail Fail Show is on (cartoons, essentially). Patrick meets Spongebob at his library and becomes curious, almost immediately forgetting the TV as he tosses it downstairs.

(TV explodes)
Snail Fail: What’d I do?! (That was so perfectly timed I had to laugh)

Spongebob tries to teach Patrick about books, but Patrick gets a little too excited and starts causing chaos. One thing I just wanted to mention is the animation. Remember how earlier, I talked about characters stretching themselves across the screen and making really insane expressions? Yeah… Patrick does a lot of that here, and he gets pretty loud about it.

Luckily, we have some good old fashioned wit to balance things out. Gary is reading a book titled Cooking Without Salt! Spongebob comments on Patrick not knowing how to use a book and gets one titled Modest Expectations (by Slim Dickens) thrown in his face. And Spongebob even whips out a Logbook, which is literally a log/book hybrid! I don’t know for sure if that’s supposed to reference Ren and Stimpy, but if so, that’s awesome!

Untitled144_20210912031139.png
(lol)
Untitled145_20210912031242.png

Spongebob finally gets Patrick to calm down and just READ. Patrick is immediately invested, which despite all of his stupidity throughout the series, goes to show that Patrick can learn a thing or two. Here, he takes in every single word, which is visualized by his tiny (sentient) brain taking said words that fall into Patrick’s head, and constructing whole cities out of them!

Untitled146_20210912031543.png

At first, the episode isn’t too bad. In fact, at the beginning, it’s quite wonderful! Not only do we not get to see Spongebob’s library often, but the episode actually dedicates charm and humor to tell a story of Spongebob teaching Patrick to read, bettering himself. Something that people might normally view as boring is seemingly shown in such a positive light here that it only makes it more insulting when the second half pops in.

Patrick internalizes a bit too much knowledge and his brain swells massively (as he develops the Patrick Smartpants tone of voice). With Spongebob’s help, he tries to get out, but his head ends up getting stuck in the doorway.

They try science. That doesn’t work. They try Gary’s slime. That doesn’t work. They try Head Shrinking for Beginners, which involves Spongebob performing a whole dark ritual! This… is not the direction I expected this episode to take, but it’s still not the worst part of this episode. Rather, it’s the solution they finally settle on.

Patrick: Spongebob! Your typically moronic attempts have given me a solution! (A bit of a snob here, isn't he?)

They figure that if books made Patrick smarter, then they need mindless cartoons to dumb him back down. So Spongebob has Patrick watch the ‘Snail & Urchin’ cartoon from earlier, and while it might not bother so many people, I personally cringed at how this scene went.

You watch as Patrick’s brain is finally relaxing after all his hard work, only for the cartoon characters (now Kaiju sized) to destroy it all. Patrick is mesmerized by the colors. Spongebob then proceeds to open his head and stick a vacuum in it to suck out all the knowledge he had gained that day.

Spongebob: It’s working! This mindless drivel is destroying your knowledge!

The episode ends with Patrick’s brain being reduced back to a lousy couch potato who its eats own boogers. And the two best friends simply go off to get ice cream.

Untitled147_20210912032434.png

I may sound like a helicopter mom for saying this, but that is a seriously terrible message this episode is sending! There are plenty of episodes like Chocolate With Nuts and Kracked Krabs that also have a slightly questionable morality to them. But these episodes are done in a way that helps you realize that they're meant to be satirical, and not serious.

I don’t think the writers intended for this to turn out as bad as it did, but the way this episode ends just feels wrong. It almost seems like it’s trying to vilify books, and the fact that they seem to admit it so blatantly feels almost disgusting.

It doesn’t have a bad setup by any means, but I think this could’ve been handled better. If I wrote this episode, I would have it play out the same, except at the very end, Patrick still manages to retain one word he’s never learned before. It would send a better message about how it’s not good to burn yourself out studying, but a little bit every day goes a long way. If they did just that, it would fix everything.

Just for funsies, here’s a hint for the next episode: A doppelganger in Bikini Bottom

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Goodbye Krabby Patty's #1 Fan
Staff

View attachment 13687

I already mentioned how there was one more Modern episode I disliked more than Squirrel Jelly. Well, here it is! It’s not Ink Lemonade, The Nitwitting, Sportz, or even Cuddle E. Hugs. It’s this little bugger, and one of the first Modern episodes I ever actually watched. I already said that I like the newer seasons more than I used to, but this did not leave a good impression, and I’m surprised more people didn’t talk about it!

Patrick brings his TV over to Spongebob’s one day because The Sir Urchin and Snail Fail Show is on (cartoons, essentially). Patrick meets Spongebob at his library and becomes curious, almost immediately forgetting the TV as he tosses it downstairs.

(TV explodes)

Spongebob tries to teach Patrick about books, but Patrick gets a little too excited and starts causing chaos. One thing I just wanted to mention is the animation. Remember how earlier, I talked about characters stretching themselves across the screen and making really insane expressions? Yeah… Patrick does a lot of that here, and he gets pretty loud about it.

Luckily, we have some good old fashioned wit to balance things out. Gary is reading a book titled Cooking Without Salt! Spongebob comments on Patrick not knowing how to use a book and gets one titled Modest Expectations (by Slim Dickens) thrown in his face. And Spongebob even whips out a Logbook, which is literally a log/book hybrid! I don’t know for sure if that’s supposed to reference Ren and Stimpy, but if so, that’s awesome!

View attachment 13685
(lol)
View attachment 13684

Spongebob finally gets Patrick to calm down and just READ. Patrick is immediately invested, which despite all of his stupidity throughout the series, goes to show that Patrick can learn a thing or two. Here, he takes in every single word, which is visualized by his tiny (sentient) brain taking said words that fall into Patrick’s head, and constructing whole cities out of them!

View attachment 13683

At first, the episode isn’t too bad. In fact, at the beginning, it’s quite wonderful! Not only do we not get to see Spongebob’s library often, but the episode actually dedicates charm and humor to tell a story of Spongebob teaching Patrick to read, bettering himself. Something that people might normally view as boring is seemingly shown in such a positive light here that it only makes it more insulting when the second half pops in.

Patrick internalizes a bit too much knowledge and his brain swells massively (as he develops the Patrick Smartpants tone of voice). With Spongebob’s help, he tries to get out, but his head ends up getting stuck in the doorway.

They try science. That doesn’t work. They try Gary’s slime. That doesn’t work. They try Head Shrinking for Beginners, which involves Spongebob performing a whole dark ritual! This… is not the direction I expected this episode to take, but it’s still not the worst part of this episode. Rather, it’s the solution they finally settle on.

Patrick: Spongebob! Your typically moronic attempts have given me a solution! (A bit of a snob here, isn't he?)

They figure that if books made Patrick smarter, then they need mindless cartoons to dumb him back down. So Spongebob has Patrick watch the ‘Snail & Urchin’ cartoon from earlier, and while it might not bother so many people, I personally cringed at how this scene went.

You watch as Patrick’s brain is finally relaxing after all his hard work, only for the cartoon characters (now Kaiju sized) to destroy it all. Patrick is mesmerized by the colors. Spongebob then proceeds to open his head and stick a vacuum in it to suck out all the knowledge he had gained that day.

The episode ends with Patrick’s brain being reduced back to a lousy couch potato who its eats own boogers. And the two best friends simply go off to get ice cream.

View attachment 13686

I may sound like a helicopter mom for saying this, but that is a seriously terrible message this episode is sending! There are plenty of episodes like Chocolate With Nuts and Kracked Krabs that also have a slightly questionable morality to them. But these episodes are done in a way that helps you realize that they're meant to be satirical, and not serious.

I don’t think the writers intended for this to turn out as bad as it did, but the way this episode ends just feels wrong. It almost seems like it’s trying to vilify books, and the fact that they seem to admit it so blatantly feels almost disgusting.

It doesn’t have a bad setup by any means, but I think this could’ve been handled better. If I wrote this episode, I would have it play out the same, except at the very end, Patrick still manages to retain one word he’s never learned before. It would send a better message about how it’s not good to burn yourself out studying, but a little bit every day goes a long way. If they did just that, it would fix everything.

Just for funsies, here’s a hint for the next episode: A doppelganger in Bikini Bottom
Great review. I also agree that the ending is terrible. Looking forward to seeing your next review! I'm guessing it's Stanley S. SquarePants or Cave Dwelling Sponge.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast

View attachment 13687

(TV explodes)

View attachment 13685
(lol)
View attachment 13684

View attachment 13683

View attachment 13686

Library Cards in my opinion is good not bad

anywho im guessing Big sister sam or the nitwitting is next!

Last edited:

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
A great review as always! Library Cards is a very forgotabble episode. I rewatched it around a month ago and I barely remember what happened in this episode XD

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I also now think 7 is an unpopular opinion! or maybe even Squids Visit

The thumbnail image will likely be this

Yoshi

Giant Clam
Top 3 most likely results
3. Patrick SmartPants
2. Stanley S. SquarePants
1. CopyBob DittoPants (has anyone forgotten that SpongeBob Meets 299 copies of himself in this episode!!???)

Last edited:

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
10) 100% agree. I enjoy S11, but Squirrel Jelly sucks.
9) Again, couldn't agree more. I like its sister episode a lot more, The Whole Tooth.
8) Meh.

Back