Observing Spongebob’s behavior and personality, especially in regards to recent seasons

floating22

Baby Clam
Now as a disclaimer, I’m no good at critical analysis. But I just wanted to talk about how Spongebob acts, especially nowadays. I feel like the whole show in general post second movie has a lot of slapstick kind of comedy and a little bit less of really witty lines, and Spongebob himself is the prime example. They really amped up his happy-go-lucky, innocent nature, but as such he doesn’t really have as many moments of being an everyday guy just getting by with dry humor.

Now Spongebob’s happy, carefree attitude is probably his base personality the whole series but the balance of it changes from season to season and episode to episode. In the first season I feel like he was more playful and innocent and in seasons 2 and 3 there was less of that. Then of course from seasons 4 to pre second movie his behavior was all over the place, sometimes acting like a good guy and an adult, to sometimes acting like he was 5 years old, to sometimes being horribly rude and selfish.

All of the characters have variation in their behavior and personality, but Sometimes I think Spongebob’s behavior varies the most of all the characters over the series. What are your thoughts?

squidgeek06

Imitation Krab
Now as a disclaimer, I’m no good at critical analysis. But I just wanted to talk about how Spongebob acts, especially nowadays. I feel like the whole show in general post second movie has a lot of slapstick kind of comedy and a little bit less of really witty lines, and Spongebob himself is the prime example. They really amped up his happy-go-lucky, innocent nature, but as such he doesn’t really have as many moments of being an everyday guy just getting by with dry humor.

Now Spongebob’s happy, carefree attitude is probably his base personality the whole series but the balance of it changes from season to season and episode to episode. In the first season I feel like he was more playful and innocent and in seasons 2 and 3 there was less of that. Then of course from seasons 4 to pre second movie his behavior was all over the place, sometimes acting like a good guy and an adult, to sometimes acting like he was 5 years old, to sometimes being horribly rude and selfish.

All of the characters have variation in their behavior and personality, but Sometimes I think Spongebob’s behavior varies the most of all the characters over the series. What are your thoughts?
Around seasons 1-3 he was a happy go lucky kid esque character. Around season 4 he was still ok. At season 5-8 he was narscissistic/sociopathic. He has improved drastically with the newer seasons IMO.

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
SpongeBob's behavior in the pre-movie era was mostly a kid-like character, often doing child-like things. He still acknowledged that he was a grown man and would actually get mad. Although, he would get too mean sometimes, like in The Great Snail Race, and was really stupid sometimes. He also could sometimes get offended easily.

SpongeBob's behavior in the post movie era was way more childish. In seasons 4-5, he got a little more cry-babyish, and would be scared more easily, but he was still the same. In 6-8, he acted like a 4 year old wandering around. He also got more gullible.

SpongeBob's behavior in post 2nd movie was a big improvement. It didn't go all the way back, but at least went back to season 4. He was still really childish, but in the same valley as season 4, so it was ok. One thing though is that he acted more cartoony.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
SpongeBob's behavior has kinda fluctuated over the course of the series but I think he has stayed true to being happy and optimistic compared to Squidward who has gone from depressed and grumpy to just plain psychopathic!

BTW, I like it when SpongeBob cries because I can better relate to him as a character plus it shows that he has real emotions

Last edited:

Hammy678

Imitation Krab
TBH, i would like it if spongebob's personality was more like his pre movie personality because while modernbob is still a good character it feels like a different character at times because of how much he got more gullible and in some episodes modernbob is just kinda unlikeable with deep personality changes such as being mature to childish to a jerk and i liked the more relatable problems he had pre movie with episodes such as ripped pants, boating school, the secret box, krab borg, etc. as silly as they are

Back