Obscure toys you remember playing with?

warblower99

Chop those gravy bars

133 posts
$298 doubloons
Decided to make this thread because of these things:

I just got two of them at a Value Village (it's basically like Goodwill) for $3.99 and I've played the heck outta them. I like 'em so much 'cuz they reminded me of this other toy called Pixel Chix that my sister was obsessed with when she was a kid. But, as time has passed, people don't even know they exist. So...any toys you cherished as a youngster that absolutely no one remembers?

spongedude

The Librarian
Staff member

3,787 posts
$1,331 doubloons
@Re-Hydrated Sponge I never heard of that, but okay...

Amazing how much fun one could have with some translucent, colored plastic pegs and a backlit box with holes. 🙃

krustykrab2forprofit

21 posts
$21 doubloons
obscure toys? hmmmm...there were these little sticky guys that would could find on like the little hang off things in grocery store aisles and i would love playing with them. i also remember having a little sticky patrick toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoh Manta

200 posts
$203 doubloons
I know I played around with all sorts of strange, obscure toys when I was little, but for some reason, few are coming to mind right now. I remember having a weird, pink, squishy ball that you would squeeze to make the strings on it extend. I also used to have this weird Pokemon toy of Totodile that you would put in water to get it to swim...but surprise, surprise, I could never figure out how it worked. :p

spongedude

The Librarian
Staff member

3,787 posts
$1,331 doubloons
Thing is, I don't recall many of my toys being "obscure" when I was a child. Perhaps they're "obscure" now because technology has largely rewritten the easel of growing up... but many of these toys are still out there.

Some of my faves from my pre-teen years:

Tinkertoys
Brio
Beanie Babies
Lincoln Logs
Headliners
Wooden blocks
Fisher-Price

Many times we'd combine all these toys together to make one big village of creatures. That's the really fun part, because kids don't normally obey the concepts of like-with-like; they simply mash up whatever is around and create something wholly new in their imagination. I hope kids today are still doing so... to be constricted to the mandates of a computer game just isn't the same. 😕

tomkennyisawesome

Chad

123 posts
$152 doubloons
What I believe to be the earliest memory of my life, is me laying on the floor of my first house, and clanking together these model cars that are like giant sized Hot Wheels

tomkennyisawesome

Chad

123 posts
$152 doubloons
As far as actual obscure toys I also remember a full Taco Bell kitchen playset with laminated printed paper to wrap the plastic orders in!

SpongeBobfan1987

"The Joy and the Laughter"

3,021 posts
$2,272 doubloons
My brother and I had a blast with the Star Wars themed LEGO sets. @SpongeBobfan1987 I do recall the top set with the submersibles. Those were really cool! 🤓
The other set, with the whale skeleton I had to purchase through LEGO Shop at Home. I remember when I started my hobby of collecting LEGO sets, looking through those catalogs at the hottest LEGO building sets of the time. It was the Genesis of my LEGO collecting hobby that still goes on to this day...

Nolyn_Spongebob_Fan

Professional Idiot™

146 posts
$435 doubloons
i remember those fake food items for kids to play with in like a kitchen, i remember having hours of fun with those when i was a kid