New SpongeBob game/skill released for Amazon's Alexa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't post this in the Bottom Feeder for whatever reason, so I'm just putting it here.

Source: https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/bb6f17a0-015d-4c98-977c-d09743f7aac1/nickelodeon-s-spongebob-skill-for-alexa-entertains-kids-with-a-voice-first-memory-game

Nickelodeon is a global entertainment brand whose mission is to make the world a more playful place. It is the top-rated TV network for kids with a global reach of 550 million households. The brand’s reach extends beyond television with more than 60 mobile games and three TV apps, including Nick, Nick Jr., and Noggin for preschoolers.
Stefanie Schwartz, senior vice president of Nickelodeon digital and business development, says Nickelodeon’s newest digital experience aims to follow its mission while moving the company into the world of voice technology.
“Throughout our history, we’ve developed many iconic properties like Blue's Clues, Dora the Explorer, and SpongeBob SquarePants,” says Schwartz. “Now, with a parent’s consent, kids can ask Alexa to play the SpongeBob Challenge, which helps develop memory skills while entertaining them with the zany characters they know and love.”
Darren Brelesky, senior vice president of product and technology, says Nickelodeon chose to build the skill around SpongeBob SquarePants because the show has such a deep narrative with so many memorable characters. The animated series is about an optimistic sponge who lives with his friends in an underwater city called Bikini Bottom. The show has been a top-five animated program for 17 straight years and is loved by more than 270 million viewers around the world.
“When it comes to SpongeBob, we have a really great creative palate to choose from,” says Brelesky. “The show has a host of characters with instantly recognizable voices, which is critical for a quality voice experience.”
Like all of Nickelodeon's games, the SpongeBob Challenge skill is about engaging with the company’s young audience and building a relationship. The skill immerses kids in one of the show's iconic settings: the Krusty Krab, a diner at the bottom of the sea. The SpongeBob Challenge has more than 80 memory challenges, and is filled with over 70 characters including Patrick, Plankton, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs, as well as hundreds of music and sound effects from the show.
The skill places kids behind the cash register of the Krusty Krab where they take orders from a host of strange but hilarious customers. In each session, kids face three challenges in which they have to remember the details of each customer’s order—no matter how odd the customer’s cravings may be. Was that a single Krabby Patty combo, or a double? Did Patrick order a large kelp shake or a large order of kelp fries?
“To engage the kids, we leveraged the rich soundscape of SpongeBob SquarePantsby including its iconic music, colorful sound effects, and beautiful, rich audio transitions, not to mention SpongeBob’s crazy laugh,” says Brelesky. “We've enveloped all these in the game in fun ways to recreate the Bikini Bottom experience.”
There's more about this, including its development process, in the article.

I'd kind of like to try it, but I'm not very fond of these "always listening" devices like the Echo. Still, it sounds like it could be fun for the kids and SpongeBob fans that do have one.

longtanandhandsome

Imitation Krab
TheLocalAquatic said:
Wow. The one time I actually wish I had an Amazon product.
This sounds so interesting...
That's actually pretty funny. Amazon is amazing at selling other companies stuff, but their own branded stuff kinda stinks.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
<p>Please do not bump topics that are so old. It is against the forum rules. If you like to contribute something to this subject, please make a new topic about it. :) Thanks.<br /><br />Topic Closed</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back