My thought about every Spongebob Episode

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Hi everyone, this is the first list I'm making on this forum, in which I'm going to analyze a season in particular, and give GOOD, MEH, BAD or HORRIBLE (I decided not to use SCUMBOB, because I don't want it to be a complete copy of Pieguyrulz's review) based on the quality of the episode.
Before I begin, let me point out that the following list represents my point of view and if you disagree with my opinion, of course it doesn't mean you are bad people. AT ALL. It's impossible that everyone can have the same opinion for a specific topic. Plus, to make it a bit more different to other ones, I'm going to explain the reason especially when I think a particular episode is bad or not very good, mostly because sometimes putting down something can be easier than praising something. Well, it's easier for me. And besides, explaining why an earlier episode isn't very good can be really useful to prove that seasons 1-3 weren't perfect and actually had some flawed episodes.

Without further ado, let's begin with season 1.

• Help Wanted GOOD
  • Reef Blower GOOD
  • Tea at the Treedome GOOD
  • Bubblestand GOOD
  • Ripped Pants MEH -- Well, I might get a lot of hate for this one, and let me tell you I understand the concept of this episode, and that it was repetitive on purpose to prove that the same joke is no longer funny, if it's repeated over and over again. I believe this is the main flaw of this episode: it's repetitive. Moreover, when I first watched this episode as a kid, even back then I thought it was kind of boring. Season 1 episodes are mostly solid and very good, but some of them are a bit overrated. Ripped Pants is no exception.
  • Jellyfishing GOOD -- I couldn't decide between GOOD or MEH, so I decided to give it the former, even though it contains some Squid abuse, but Spongebob and Patrick's naive and careless nature makes up for it. After all, they wanted him to have fun.
  • Plankton GOOD
  • Naughty Nautical Neighbors GOOD
  • Boating School GOOD
  • Pizza Delivery GOOD
  • Home Sweet Pineapple GOOD
  • Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy GOOD
  • Pickles GOOD
  • Hall Monitor GOOD -- if it weren't for Patrick, I'd probably give this episode a MEH.
  • Jellyfish Jam GOOD MEH -- I watched it again and the only thing that stood out was the song. Apart from it, there isn't anything memorable.
  • Sandy's Rocket MEH -- at first I wanted to give it a GOOD, but after watching it, it's a bit repetitive and Spongebob is kind of stupid here.
  • Squeaky Boots GOOD -- the squeaking didn't bother me that much.
  • Nature Pants MEH -- here Spongebob wasn't really likeable and the whole idea wasn't that interesting: I still wonder why he would leave his life, job and friends to live with jellyfish. Yes, this episode is one of the weaker ones of season 1. Squidward's party was funny, though.
  • Opposite Day MEH -- the first scenes and the ending were pretty good, but the middle with Spongebob and Patrick acting like Squidward is bad. So, I gave it a MEH.
  • Culture Shock GOOD
  • F.U.N. GOOD
  • MuscleBob BuffPants MEH -- it's absurd that Spongebob couldn't even lift a glass.
  • Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost MEH -- yes, for that reason: Squidward is kind of annoying here.
  • The Chaperone MEH -- just forgettable.
  • Employee of the Month GOOD
  • Scaredy Pants GOOD
  • I Was a Teenage Gary BAD -- probably the weakest episode of season 1: IMO watching dehydrated Gary is much worse than watching him crash like car in The Great Snail Race and Spongebob's transformation into a snail is simply unsettling. At least its sister episode was meant to be creepy ON PURPOSE and had really good things. Yeah, Patrick is funny, but it's not enough to save this episode.
  • SB-129 GOOD
  • Karate Choppers GOOD
  • Sleepy Time GOOD
  • Suds MEH -- why meh? It's a bit overrated, Patrick here was a bit less funny than the last episodes. In my country the final scene was cut, so I watched it and... it wasn't a big deal.
  • Valentine's Day GOOD
  • The Paper GOOD
  • Arrgh! GOOD
  • Rock Bottom MEH --it's a little slow-paced and I didn't find it that funny.
  • Texas GOOD
  • Walking Small GOOD
  • Fools in April GOOD
  • Neptune's Spatula MEH -- the plot isn't that bad, but the rest is forgettable.
  • Hooky GOOD
  • Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II GOOD
Season 1 has 41 episodes, among these 29 episodes are GOOD, 11 episodes are MEH and just one is BAD. Overall, it's a good season.

Season 2 review coming soon.
*Update* I changed the rating of Jellyfish Jam from GOOD to MEH.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm posting Season 2 review soon enough.

Most of these I agree with, except a couple mehs I would put good. Keep up the good work, will read more.
Also I'm glad Ripped Pants has finally got justice for the eh episode it is.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Here's my season 2 review. Back then it was my favorite season. Does it still hold up? Well, let's take a look at it.

• Your Shoe's Untied GOOD
  • Squid's Day Off GOOD
  • Something Smells GOOD
  • Bossy Boots MEH -- it's bland and not that good.
  • Big Pink Loser GOOD
  • Bubble Buddy MEH -- overrated, it's not bad, but the idea for a sequel doesn't work with this character.
  • Dying for Pie GOOD
  • Imitation Krabs GOOD
  • Wormy GOOD
  • Patty Hype GOOD
  • Grandma's Kisses MEH -- okay, I'm going to get a lot of boos for this, but... it's so silly. First of all, why is Spongebob mocked for being kissed by his grandmother? It's not funny, it's just... annoying. Not even Patrick could make this episode any good. Its ending is a bit sappy and also irritating, with Squidward and the others laughing at Spongebob. Is it funny? Of course not. The concept was nice, and as a whole it could have been a much better episode.
  • Squidville GOOD
  • Pre-Hibernation Week GOOD -- okay, Sandy is a bit out of character here, but I don't think this episode is bad.
  • Life of Crime GOOD
  • Christmas Who? GOOD
  • Survival of the Idiots GOOD -- the ending wasn't that great, though.
  • Dumped BAD -- well, you saw that coming. IMO the worst episode of season 2. The soundtrack is depressing and the episode makes no sense: it's melodramatic, but not in a good way. Gary was following Patrick the entire time only for... a cookie. Every character was a jerk here, except Spongebob, who looked miserable. The ending with Patrick crying was amusing, but the rest is dull, unnecessarily depressing and melodramatic.
  • No Free Rides GOOD
  • I'm Your Biggest Fanatic GOOD -- Kevin is a very dislikeable character, but at least it ended badly for him. Besides, Patrick was really funny in this episode.
  • Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III GOOD
  • Squirrel Jokes MEH -- overrated, I think it's nothing special. Any of Spongebob's jokes wasn't really funny, including those about Sandy. I appreciated her being stupid on purpose, though.
  • Pressure GOOD -- it was nice to see Squidward ally with Spongebob and Patrick for a change.
  • The Smoking Peanut GOOD
  • Shanghaied GOOD
  • Gary Takes a Bath GOOD -- Gary was really clever in this episode. Nothing else to say... well, apart from 'Don't drop the soap'...
  • Welcome to the Chum Bucket GOOD
  • Frankendoodle GOOD
  • The Secret Box MEH -- each scene is based on that box. It might work once, twice, but not quite for an entire episode.
  • Band Geeks GOOD -- just like Suds, in my country the final scene of Band Geeks was cut.
  • The Graveyard Shift GOOD
  • Krusty Love GOOD -- I wanted to give it a meh, but Spongebob getting mad at Mr. Krabs was just priceless.
  • Procrastination GOOD
  • I'm with Stupid BAD -- such a shame: it started very well with Patrick tidying up his rock because his parents are going to pay him a visit, Spongebob even decided to help him by acting like a moron in order to render Patrick a genius in comparison. However, throughout the episode Patrick, just like his """"parents""", thinks Spongebob is stupid FOR REAL, and starts behaving like a jerk, which of course makes the episode quite annoying. And for the record, a man can be stupid, okay... but not to even recognize his/her own PARENTS. I mean, not only it's annoying, but it also makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • Sailor Mouth GOOD
  • Artist Unknown MEH -- when I first watched this episode, I thought it was good, but after rewatching it several times, I can state that it has some flaws. For example, HOW did Spongebob lose his talent after being thrown out? Again, it doesn't make much sense.
  • Jellyfish Hunter GOOD -- was it really necessary to show the ENTIRE process of the jellyfish jelly? Anyway, it could have been worse.
  • The Fry Cook Games GOOD
  • Squid on Strike MEH -- the ending, ugh...
  • Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm MEH -- overrated, I'm not a big fan of episodes which portray Sandy as a... hmm... Super Saiyan (??).
So, does it still hold up? Yes, it does. Of course if you disagree with my opinion, feel free to comment.
Season 3 review coming soon.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Of course if my review doesn't get interest, I'm going to stop it. No problem.

Spongebob07

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I like the format of this followed.

I agree with most of your choices except Squid on Strike and Squirrel Jokes.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Okay, let's continue with season 3, considered by most fans the best Spongebob season. But is it true? Well, let's analyze it.

• The Algae's Always Greener GOOD
  • SpongeGuard on Duty GOOD
  • Club SpongeBob GOOD
  • My Pretty Seahorse GOOD
  • Just One Bite GOOD
  • The Bully MEH -- I don't like his character, and the ending is clichéd. Didn't like it, either.
  • Nasty Patty GOOD
  • Idiot Box GOOD
  • Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV GOOD
  • Doing Time GOOD
  • Snowball Effect GOOD
  • One Krab's Trash GOOD
  • As Seen On TV MEH -- the reason is obvious... Spongebob is annoying here.
  • Can You Spare a Dime? GOOD
  • No Weenies Allowed GOOD -- not the best one ever, but it's still good.
  • Squilliam Returns GOOD
  • Krab Borg GOOD
  • Rock-a-Bye Bivalve GOOD
  • Wet Painters GOOD
  • Krusty Krab Training Video GOOD -- my favorite episode.
  • Party Pooper Pants BAD -- Spongebob's behavior didn't bother me too much, he just wanted to respect his schedule... but him getting arrested because he hadn't invited the cops... it's LAME. Is it a legitimate reason? ABSOLUTELY NOT. And is it funny? NO, IT ISN'T.
  • Chocolate with Nuts GOOD -- a bit overrated, but it's a nice episode.
  • Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V GOOD - my favorite MMBB episode.
  • New Student Starfish GOOD
  • Clams GOOD
  • Ugh MEH -- nothing expectacular, I sort of liked the feature of the alarm clock, and Gary being a lot bigger in size than usual.
  • The Great Snail Race GOOD -- I get it why this episode is hated, but I can't: it's funny and was nice to see Squidward laugh along with Spongebob and Patrick. I know, Gary crashed like a car, but, as I said in the previous post, seeing him dehydrated in IWATG was much worse than this. Although, I didn't like Sandy's cameo at the end.
  • Mid-Life Crustacean GOOD
  • Born Again Krabs GOOD
  • I Had an Accident MEH -- bland episode with a stupid ending. Spongebob mimicking Squidward and Patrick being stupid were the only good parts.
  • Krabby Land MEH -- Mr. Krabs...
  • The Camping Episode GOOD
  • Missing Identity GOOD
  • Plankton's Army GOOD
  • The Sponge Who Could Fly MEH -- I wish I liked this episode. Unfortunately if there weren't those d***, stupid, dim-witted, pointless, arrogant, unlikeable Bikini-Bottomites, I'd honestly give it a GOOD.
  • SpongeBob Meets the Strangler GOOD
  • Pranks a Lot GOOD
Overall, this is a very good season. It has only one BAD episode, like season 1, whereas season 2 had two BAD episodes.
Season 1-3 episodes were good for the most part, of course some of them are a bit overrated, but there are only 4 BAD episodes among over 100 episodes, and none of these was HORRIBLE.

Season 4 review coming soon. Be afraid...

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Season 4 review will be posted tomorrow.
Meanwhile, you can write down your own lists, if you like.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
I strongly agree with your 2 bads of season 2 , but Opposite Day a meh? I love this episode :( and I disagree with As Seen On Tv and Krabby Land..I'd give Krabby Land the title 'BAD' and As Seen On Tv ''Good'' :p

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
SquiddlyPie said:
I strongly agree with your 2 bads of season 2 , but Opposite Day a meh? I love this episode :( and I disagree with As Seen On Tv and Krabby Land..I'd give Krabby Land the title 'BAD' and As Seen On Tv ''Good'' :P
Well, I loved Spongebob and Patrick doing "opposite stuff" and the ending was actually really satisfying and fitting. However the middle was just annoying, with Spongebob and Patrick pretending to be Squidward, therefore the final rating was the average between those two elements.
As for ASOT, even at the very end, Spongebob believed he was performing, and it's undeniable that he was annoying, whereas Krabby Land... I might even change my rating, I did it for Jellyfish Jam, so who knows. :thumbsup:
I'm perfectly sure it was underwhelming, though.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Random Guy said:
Well, I loved Spongebob and Patrick doing "opposite stuff" and the ending was actually really satisfying and fitting. However the middle was just annoying, with Spongebob and Patrick pretending to be Squidward, therefore the final rating was the average between those two elements.
As for ASOT, even at the very end, Spongebob believed he was performing, and it's undeniable that he was annoying, whereas Krabby Land... I might even change my rating, I did it for Jellyfish Jam, so who knows. :thumbsup:
I'm perfectly sure it was underwhelming, though.
Oh ok , I can't wait for your season 4 review then :D

Pinhead Larry

The Fountain of Squidward
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern I
In Season 2 I'd make Squid On Strike, The Secret Box and Artist Unknown bad, Bossy Boots, I'm With Stupid and Sandy, SpongeBob and the Worm good.

In S3 I'd make Party Pooper Pants, Krabby Land and As Seen On TV good, and Ugh, The Great Snail Race and Club SpongeBob bad.

Looking forward to S4, should have a few more interesting picks.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Previously I analyzed pre-movie seasons and there were only four bad episodes in over 100, in particular I Was a Teenage Gary, Dumped, I'm With Stupid and Party Pooper Pants, and surprisingly no horrible episodes. Today we're going to review post-movie seasons, starting with the fourth one. So, without further ado, let's begin.

• Fear of A Krabby Patty GOOD
  • Shell of a Man GOOD
  • The Lost Mattress MEH -- I wish I could give it a GOOD rating, but there's too much unneeded Squid abuse. The wooden spoon bit was amusing, though.
  • Krabs vs. Plankton GOOD
  • Have You Seen This Snail? MEH -- okay, before you try to assault me, let me explain the reason of my rating. The plot is done correctly, that's how Dumped should have been. However, the story is heavy and way too depressing for being a Spongebob episode: it's hard to handle Spongebob crying over and over again, I mean, he even ran out of tears. And besides, why the **** should an old lady eat a snail?? They never explained she was addicted to French cuisine. Apart from it, I understand Spongebob was sad for losing his pet, but this episode lacks of balance. Your story may be the best one ever, but if you decide to put in ONLY sad and depressing contents, of course it won't work so well. HYSTS would get a GOOD rating if it had its story balanced, by alternating funny moments with more emotional ones. Too bad.
  • Skill Crane MEH -- what were the writers thinking? Squidward selling his own house property for the only purpose of winning a stupid, tiny toy?? This episode was kinda stupid but I admit that Squidward driving a girder was amusing.
  • Good Neighbors BAD -- another unnecessary Squid abuse. I'm not a big fan of those kinds of cliché, but if it's done correctly, it won't be much of a problem. However, this one is boring, mean-spirited and honestly unneeded, too. Squidward wanted only to spend his Sunday peacefully, and Spongebob and Patrick start their annoy-Squidward routine. I didn't give it a HORRIBLE as this episode is undoubtedly bad, but unfortunately it isn't even the worst one ever. I think it hasn't reached the bottom yet. Even so, it's still not good.
  • Selling Out GOOD
  • Funny Pants MEH -- this one has the same problem as Opposite Day and HYSTS: it has good things, such as Patrick and Spongebob giving his laugh box to Squidward, but also unnecessary elements, like Spongebob's crying over and over again... yeah, it's really annoying. It's not great, but it has nothing particularly horrendous.
  • Dunces & Dragons GOOD
  • Enemy In-Law MEH -- the original idea wasn't the worst one, however its outcome was messy: there's Plankton being a jerk to Karen, Karen being know-it-all, Krabs caring only about money, Plankton's robot in love with Krabs' mother... wow, it's really a mess.
  • Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture GOOD
  • Patrick SmartPants GOOD
  • SquidBob TentaclePants GOOD -- the ending...
  • Krusty Towers GOOD
  • Mrs. Puff, You're Fired GOOD
  • Chimps Ahoy GOOD
  • Ghost Host MEH -- it could have been much better.
  • Whale of a Birthday MEH -- it's bland.
  • Karate Island BAD -- I don't like it, but not for the reason you think (Spongebob): simply because it's b-o-r-i-n-g. As I explained previously, I'm not a fan of those episodes which portray Sandy as a... Super Saiyan, and this one is no exception. The fights are forgettable and as a whole it failed to engage the audience, which must be the main purpose.
  • All That Glitters BAD -- wow, two bad episodes in a row, congrats. Sarcasm aside, it's another forgettable episode. The supposed tragedy of the final scene isn't so bad, but it's not enough to redeem this episode. At all. By the way, shall I mention Le Spatula? Really unpleasant.
  • Wishing You Well GOOD
  • New Leaf GOOD
  • Once Bitten GOOD
  • Bummer Vacation GOOD
  • Wigstruck MEH -- Bikini-Bottomites, loathe 'em. Ugh...
  • Squidtastic Voyage MEH -- interesting idea, but as a whole it's not that great.
  • That's No Lady GOOD -- okay, we have crossdressing Patrick, but Squidward and Krabs having a crush on "Patricia" was funny. Their reactions at the end were priceless.
  • The Thing BAD -- sigh, another Squid abuse, but I decided to be magnanimous and not to give it a HORRIBLE rating. Why? Spongebob and Patrick are less annoying here than in Good Neighbors, and they actually want the Thing to be happy, they're acting for his sake. Moreover, they didn't know it was Squidward covered. No comments for Bikini-Bottomites, I don't want to be repetitive.
  • Hocus Pocus GOOD
  • Driven to Tears MEH -- Patrick is a jerk and constantly rubs his driving licence in Spongebob's face. Yeah, it's unpleasant. Nevertheless, the ending is really nice, and a bit funny as Patrick threw away his boat because it was running out of gas. Besides, Spongebob is a really good, realistic character: he envied Patrick but was ready to go to jail in order to help him, which is a nice proof of their friendship. This episode is not so bad, after all.
  • Rule of Dumb MEH -- second episode in a row with jerky Patrick. Wow, talk about continuity.
  • Born to Be Wild MEH -- the ending stands out, but the rest is forgettable.
  • Best Frenemies GOOD -- of course it was nice to see Krabs and Plankton collaborate, but NO MORE close-ups of buttocks. Please.
  • The Pink Purloiner GOOD
  • Squid Wood HORRIBLE -- it finally happened: the first HORRIBLE episode in chronological order. It's really bad, and seems to be even worse than Good Neighbors, The Thing and All That Glitters. Remember what I wrote above? "I think Good Neighbors hasn't reached the bottom yet." Well, Squid Wood did it. What a wonderful job. Here we have annoying Spongebob so obsessed with Squidward, he decides to make a ventriloquist dummy modeled after him... that's twisted. And it's not even the worst part: Bikini-Bottomites, who I already despise, prefer the dummy TO THE REAL SQUIDWARD. Just who is dummier here? It's stupid, pointless, mean-spirited... sucks. I mean, a man cannot be so idiotic to even prefer a puppet to a real person. This episode reached the above-mentioned bottom, and also decided to put in a very stupid ending, the cherry on top of this marvellous episode. I watched it once and intended not to watch it anymore: it's irritating, stupid, messy and horrendous.
  • Best Day Ever MEH -- I don't get why it's overhated: unlike the previous episode, this one is harmless but not that great. Just what is the Best Day Ever for Spongebob? It's not his birthday, or even his name-day (it's silly, St. Spongebob doesn't exist). Maybe it's just an average day in which he's planning to do several activities, so the ending is understandable, I guess.
  • The Gift of Gum MEH -- the original idea wasn't that interesting, but the result could have been worse.

19 GOOD, 14 MEH, 4 BAD and the first HORRIBLE episode. It's kind of curious that season 4 has the same amount of bad episodes of seasons 1-3 combined. We finally found out the first horrible episode, Squid Wood, and now you see why I decided to distinguish BAD rating from HORRIBLE.

Season 5 review coming soon. Be more afraid...

realcodyjnutt

Floating Shopping List
I mean you can prefer a puppet to an original is mean and grumpy most of the time, people don't like grumpy people. SpongeBob is liked by mostly everyone so like mini Squidward is basically the nicer version of Squidward (still better than NEW Squidward in fresh breathe of Squidward.)
I mean you can prefer a puppet to an original is mean and grumpy most of the time, people don't like grumpy people. SpongeBob is liked by mostly everyone so like mini Squidward is basically the nicer version of Squidward (still better than NEW Squidward in fresh breathe of Squidward.)
it was technically squidward's own fault for this though, he should've at least played with spongebob like a good person like in one of the earlier seasons, he actually is more of a jerk in this episode, now let's take a look at spongebob, he just wanted someone to play with, well I mean there was Patrick, but maybe SpongeBob just really wanted to play with Squidward or something because Squidward never plays with him. Then again SB was annoying Squidward every 15 seconds to play with him. So I don't know what to say.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
realcodyjnutt said:
Everything felt so stupid and pointless. My issue is the original idea, who ever thought it would work? You can't replace a real character with a miniature of him/her. You mustn't. It's a harsh punishment for Squidward, and as for Spongebob, yes, he was pretty annoying.
Plus, my rating for Breath of Fresh Squidward is going to be a surprise.

Back