My thought about every Spongebob Episode (REVISED)

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Time to take on season 9B, which features Hillenburg's return and the rebirth of the show:

[SIZE=14pt]190a) Lost in Bikini Bottom GOOD [/SIZE](the ending is eh, but this features a considerable improvement animation-wise)
[SIZE=14pt]190b) Tutor Sauce GREAT [/SIZE](even though the KK running gag is a bit repetitive, the ways it gets destroyed are various and pretty funny. Krabs is at his best. He's aware of losing money, but still wants to help Spongebob. My favorite scene appears to be Squidward taking the customer's order, without caring about injured Krabs. Pretty hilarious)
[SIZE=14pt]191a) Squid Plus One GOOD [/SIZE](the idea of Squidward interacting with different characters is really interesting. The ending makes sense, albeit a bit pathetic)
[SIZE=14pt]191b) The Executive Treatment MEH [/SIZE](Patrick is a great character, I like the idea, but it falls flat)
[SIZE=14pt]192a) Company Picnic BAD [/SIZE](it's not entirely bad, but I just don't get how Plankton's plan works)
[SIZE=14pt]192b) Pull Up a Barrel GREAT [/SIZE](entertaining story with great characters)
[SIZE=14pt]193a) Sanctuary! HORRIBLE [/SIZE](Spongebob becomes a cat... snail lady. That's pretty unsettling)
[SIZE=14pt]193b) What's Eating Patrick? GOOD [/SIZE](Honolulu March playing at the end... very nice touch)
[SIZE=14pt]194a) Patrick! The Game BAD [/SIZE](considering S9b Patrick is a vast improvement over S6-8 Patrick, this feels more like a backwards step. It's not even that funny, and Squidward gets arrested for an unknown reason)
[SIZE=14pt]194b) The Sewers of Bikini Bottom GOOD [/SIZE](well directed and well written)
[SIZE=14pt]195a) SpongeBob LongPants MEH [/SIZE](the idea isn't original, and the outcome is kinda predictable)
[SIZE=14pt]195b) Larry's Gym GOOD [/SIZE](Larry gets his own episode, despite not even being a secondary character. Krabs' greed is portrayed correctly here, but the ending is a bit predictable)
[SIZE=14pt]196a) The Fish Bowl BAD [/SIZE](glimpses of Jerky Patrick, once again. Sandy's experiment is really stupid, too)
[SIZE=14pt]196b) Married to Money MEH [/SIZE](the concept isn't that random since Krabs loves money, but he takes it way too seriously at the end)
[SIZE=14pt]197a) Mall Girl Pearl GOOD [/SIZE](another good story with a secondary character. Pearl is not memorable, but her figure has always been relatable on the show. It's full of jokes and easter eggs, and is far better executed than The Chaperone or Bossy Boots)
[SIZE=14pt]197b) Two Thumbs Down GREAT [/SIZE](the jazzy samba is back, and even though Patrick replaced Spongebob as a cooker, he's still likable and not necessarily on his S6-8 Jerky level)
[SIZE=14pt]198a) Sharks vs. Pods GOOD [/SIZE](not very funny, but still got plenty of atmosphere)
[SIZE=14pt]198b) CopyBob DittoPants GOOD [/SIZE](a bit repetitive, but quite entertaining)
[SIZE=14pt]199a) Sold! GOOD [/SIZE](not a strong plot, but the gags are pretty nice)
[SIZE=14pt]199b) Lame and Fortune GOOD [/SIZE](the 'My leg' gag is just great, and I quite like the funeral cutaway)
[SIZE=14pt]200) Goodbye, Krabby Patty? GOOD [/SIZE](the story is a bit flawed, since we don't know for sure if Krabs is broke at the end, but I fail to see badly-written characters. Patrick is extremely likeable and seems like a different star compared with the previous seasons)
[SIZE=14pt]201a) Sandy's Nutmare GOOD [/SIZE](they actually deliver a quite nice message)
[SIZE=14pt]201b) Bulletin Board GOOD [/SIZE](pretty relatable and realistic idea as a whole)
[SIZE=14pt]202a) Food Con Castaway BAD [/SIZE](it's Club Spongebob and To Save a Squirrel all over again. The plot isn't even that good)
[SIZE=14pt]202b) Snail Mail GOOD [/SIZE](what's with the episode title, though?)
[SIZE=14pt]203a) Pineapple Invasion GREAT [/SIZE](this is HOW a Gary-centered episode should be. Easily the best one with Gary as a main character so far. After Gary Takes a Bath, Grooming Gary, Gary in Love and Gary's New Toy, they finally manage to make him justice, by outsmarting Plankton. The ending is also great)
[SIZE=14pt]203b) Salsa Imbecilicus BAD [/SIZE](what a missed opportunity. Apparently Krabs was pretending to be ignorant near the end. Why? It makes no sense)
[SIZE=14pt]204a) Mutiny on the Krusty BAD [/SIZE](this feels like an oversight for this part of the season, since Krabs has usually been a good character. He's a tyrannical jerk here, and doesn't deserve to be a captain)
[SIZE=14pt]204b) The Whole Tooth GREAT [/SIZE](like I said so many times, I can't hate an episode with Hawaiian Train playing in the title, and also near the end, low-pitched. This is really fun to watch, and for once, Squidward is less likeable than Spongebob and Patrick. The latter is so great here: he's more like childish and naive, as he's supposed to behave. He doesn't want to remove his baby tooth for a sensible reason. I also like the fact his baby tooth is shown like an actual baby tooth)

Thus, season 9b has 5 GREAT, 14 GOOD, 3 MEH, 6 BAD and just 1 HORRIBLE episode. This is clearly a vast improvement over S9a and also S6 and S7. The animation improved, the storyboarding improved and the writing got also better. Hillenburg's return isn't just a coincidence. The mean-spirited sides of the characters' personalities are considerably downplayed, as a result they are much more likeable in general.
SEASON 1: 24/14/3
SEASON 2: 23/11/5
SEASON 3: 20/14/3
SEASON 4: 15/14/9
SEASON 5: 17/9/15
SEASON 6: 16/9/22
SEASON 7: 17/9/23
SEASON 8: 17/13/17
SEASON 9: 25/11/13
(SEASON 9A: 6/8/6)
(SEASON 9B: 19/3/7)

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
EmployeeAMillion said:
It’s hard to compare half a new season’s stats to an old season’s, but if 9b’s roughly as good as 3 in your eyes, that gives me confidence.
Season 9b is great but it's not even close to season 3's quality.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Honest Slug said:
Season 9b is great but it's not even close to season 3's quality.
What's so great about season 3? It's a season like the others. It has lots of great content, but also lots of overrated episodes. From Spongebob Meets the Strangler, Wet Painters and One Krabs Trash to Club Spongebob, The Camping Episode or Chocolate with Nuts, which appear on many top episodes lists. I'm not a fan of neither of these 3, because they're nothing that interesting, humor-wise or even content-wise. I don't like the distinction "Good episode = pre-movie and bad episode = post-movie", since bad episodes are EVERYWHERE. Season 1-2 are narrowly superior to S3 imo, and season 9B deserves a lot more credit.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
What's so great about season 3? It's a season like the others. It has lots of great content, but also lots of overrated episodes. From Spongebob Meets the Strangler, Wet Painters and One Krabs Trash to Club Spongebob, The Camping Episode or Chocolate with Nuts, which appear on many top episodes lists. I'm not a fan of neither of these 3, because they're nothing that interesting, humor-wise or even content-wise. I don't like the distinction "Good episode = pre-movie and bad episode = post-movie", since bad episodes are EVERYWHERE. Season 1-2 are narrowly superior to S3 imo, and season 9B deserves a lot more credit.
Everything. Season 3 is amazing, just like season 2 is.

Klu

Moby Dollar
Random Guy said:
I actually agree, though, I still love a lot of season 3 episodes.

Pre-Movie SpongeBob one of the most overrated cartoons of all time, tbh. While I obviously love it a lot, since I'm here and still watch the show, I said multiple times that pre-movie SpongeBob has many flaws that many people overlook in favor of hating later seasons and episodes without any real analysis and reason, simply repeating opinion of several youtubers. Post-Movie is really flawed, but seasons 4 and 5 really underrated overall.
Post-sequel gets overlooked too, it gets some recognition, but not much, even Mr.Enter's review of "Mimic Madness" not really renewed any interest in spongebob. Like, I really cringe, reading some comments like "LOL new spongeBOB has a FUNNY MOMENT??7??" or taking some off-model expression out of context and screaming "LOL NEW spongeBOB is SOOO garbage".
I get it, people has opinions, but opinions and blind hate - are different things.

...I got a little bit carried away, sorry.

On the topic, I like those lists, because they are fresh perspective on some of the episodes and even seasons, though, I'm not agree with everything, especially in season 1 list, since it's my all-time favorite season.

hippythehippo

Banished
Random Guy said:
Every episode you mentioned is superior to 95% of post sequel. I still do enjoy post sequel, but it's not as good as season 3, even though 3 has more flaws than 1 and 2.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Random Guy said:
Klu said:
I actually agree, though, I still love a lot of season 3 episodes.

Pre-Movie SpongeBob one of the most overrated cartoons of all time, tbh. While I obviously love it a lot, since I'm here and still watch the show, I said multiple times that pre-movie SpongeBob has many flaws that many people overlook in favor of hating later seasons and episodes without any real analysis and reason, simply repeating opinion of several youtubers. Post-Movie is really flawed, but seasons 4 and 5 really underrated overall.
Post-sequel gets overlooked too, it gets some recognition, but not much, even Mr.Enter's review of "Mimic Madness" not really renewed any interest in spongebob. Like, I really cringe, reading some comments like "LOL new spongeBOB has a FUNNY MOMENT??7??" or taking some off-model expression out of context and screaming "LOL NEW spongeBOB is SOOO garbage".
I get it, people has opinions, but opinions and blind hate - are different things.

...I got a little bit carried away, sorry.

On the topic, I like those lists, because they are fresh perspective on some of the episodes and even seasons, though, I'm not agree with everything, especially in season 1 list, since it's my all-time favorite season.
I strongly disagree with both sentiments here.

Pre-movie deserves all the praise it gets. And honestly I find the people who downplay it about as obnoxious as the people who say there's no good episodes after the first movie. The first 3 seasons are near-perfect comedic television with a healthy balance of wit, humor, fun characters and silly plots in nearly every episode. A good chunk of the pre-movie episodes that are hated are only really hated because of connections with post-movie. The Great Snail Race gets compared to A Pal for Gary. I'm With Stpud gets compared to later Patrick episodes like The Card and Yours, Mine and Mine. And Jellyfishing and Club SpongeBob get compared to the bad Squid torture episodes of later seasons like Choir Boys and Boating Buddies, despite the fact that ALL of these episodes are miles above their post-movie successors and do many of the things they did wrong right. Maybe some people never liked these episodes, but I really get the impression that people are giving these episodes a bad rap simply for having superficial connections to later episodes. Seasons 1-3 are consistently hilarious, and even the weaker links like Party Pooper Pants and Dumped are far more watchable than the junk they spewed out in seasons 6-9a. Seasons 4 and 5 might have god-tier episodes like Dunces and Dragons, Fear of a Krabby Patty, The Pink Purloiner, Roller Cowards, Krabs a la Mode, Sing a Song of Patrick, Blackened Sponge and Battle of Bikini Bottom, but they produced trashy episodes like Squid Wood, All That Glitters, Banned in Bikini Bottom, Atlantis, Fungus Among Us, To Love a Patty and SpongeHenge.

As for 9b, as great as it is, it really doesn't hold a candle to seasons 1-3. The only episodes in 9b that I think stack-up to season 3's humor are Patrick! The Game, Sold! and Bulletin Board. The rest of the season is pretty funny but really would still rank on the lower end of seasons 2 and 3. Plus there's Mutiny on the Krusty and The Fishbowl which are worse than anything in seasons 1-3 by a lot. There's other episodes that are great for reasons other than humor, even if they have humor, like Mall Girl Pearl and Pull Up a Barrel, but humor is much more important to the show than story as you can't do much in 11 minutes and what little that happens will be reset. Really the only episodes that I think have super compelling stories are Dunces and Dragons and Friend or Foe. Dunces and Dragons is one of the funniest episodes of the entire series to boot. Seasons 10 and 11 aren't even close and I don't feel like bothering to compare them.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector

Pre-movie deserves all the praise it gets. And honestly I find the people who downplay it about as obnoxious as the people who say there's no good episodes after the first movie. The first 3 seasons are near-perfect comedic television with a healthy balance of wit, humor, fun characters and silly plots in nearly every episode. A good chunk of the pre-movie episodes that are hated are only really hated because of connections with post-movie. The Great Snail Race gets compared to A Pal for Gary. I'm With Stpud gets compared to later Patrick episodes like The Card and Yours, Mine and Mine. And Jellyfishing and Club SpongeBob get compared to the bad Squid torture episodes of later seasons like Choir Boys and Boating Buddies, despite the fact that ALL of these episodes are miles above their post-movie successors and do many of the things they did wrong right. Maybe some people never liked these episodes, but I really get the impression that people are giving these episodes a bad rap simply for having superficial connections to later episodes. Seasons 1-3 are consistently hilarious, and even the weaker links like Party Pooper Pants and Dumped are far more watchable than the junk they spewed out in seasons 6-9a. Seasons 4 and 5 might have god-tier episodes like Dunces and Dragons, Fear of a Krabby Patty, The Pink Purloiner, Roller Cowards, Krabs a la Mode, Sing a Song of Patrick, Blackened Sponge and Battle of Bikini Bottom, but they produced trashy episodes like Squid Wood, All That Glitters, Banned in Bikini Bottom, Atlantis, Fungus Among Us, To Love a Patty and SpongeHenge.

As for 9b, as great as it is, it really doesn't hold a candle to seasons 1-3. The only episodes in 9b that I think stack-up to season 3's humor are Patrick! The Game, Sold! and Bulletin Board. The rest of the season is pretty funny but really would still rank on the lower end of seasons 2 and 3. Plus there's Mutiny on the Krusty and The Fishbowl which are worse than anything in seasons 1-3 by a lot. There's other episodes that are great for reasons other than humor, even if they have humor, like Mall Girl Pearl and Pull Up a Barrel, but humor is much more important to the show than story as you can't do much in 11 minutes and what little that happens will be reset in 11 minutes. Really the only episodes that I think have super compelling stories are Dunces and Dragons and Friend or Foe. Dunces and Dragons is one of the funniest episodes of the entire series to boot. Seasons 10 and 11 aren't even close and I don't feel like bothering to compare them.
Minus the mention of Atlantis and Battle of Bikini Bottom, I strongly agree with all of this. This is what I was thinking.

hippythehippo

Banished
Honest Slug said:

As for 9b, as great as it is, it really doesn't hold a candle to seasons 1-3. The only episodes in 9b that I think stack-up to season 3's humor are Patrick! The Game, Sold! and Bulletin Board. The rest of the season is pretty funny but really would still rank on the lower end of seasons 2 and 3. Plus there's Mutiny on the Krusty and The Fishbowl which are worse than anything in seasons 1-3 by a lot. There's other episodes that are great for reasons other than humor, even if they have humor, like Mall Girl Pearl and Pull Up a Barrel, but humor is much more important to the show than story as you can't do much in 11 minutes and what little that happens will be reset. Really the only episodes that I think have super compelling stories are Dunces and Dragons and Friend or Foe. Dunces and Dragons is one of the funniest episodes of the entire series to boot. Seasons 10 and 11 aren't even close and I don't feel like bothering to compare them.
Besides your high opionion on season 4 and 5, and low opinion on 11, I pretty much agree with this statement (though I feel you are underrating the best episodes of 10 and 11. Feral Friends, Mermaid Pants, Mimic Madness, Teachers Pests, and Squid Noir are pretty much better than every 9b episode, and can fit in with 2-3 episodes. But, that comes down to taste).

Klu

Moby Dollar
Honest Slug said:

Well, you downplaying many great episodes in season 11, in my eyes. Probably it's your true honest unbiased opinion, but even if it's, that simply means that mine opinion on pre-movie is honest and unbiased too.

I think SpongeBob fanbase is kinda divisive, because it's mainly a comedy show and comedy is really subjective matter, for the most part. That's why some don't like episodes like The Great Snail Race and I'm with stupid, while others really like them. This is the reason, why haters and lovers of post-sequel so common from the both sides, and that's why even season 6-9b has some defenders (not that I agree with them anyway).

But overall your position is understandable. well-argued and well-written, it was enjoyable to read, and I respect your opinion. If only every person could make a good, civilized discussion out of disagreement, rather than creating unhealthy unreasonable one.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Even though S11 hasn't met its end yet, let's uncover season 10, the shortest so far:

[SIZE=14pt]205a) Whirly Brains GOOD [/SIZE](it's nothing like Pranks a Lot and Slide Whistle Stooges)
[SIZE=14pt]205b) Mermaid Pants GOOD [/SIZE](neither Spongebob or Patrick is annoying, and Squidward actually deserves his comeuppance)
[SIZE=14pt]206a) Unreal Estate GOOD [/SIZE](I like the alternate intros with different houses and Squidward does something which deserves to be punished, again)
[SIZE=14pt]206b) Code Yellow MEH [/SIZE](nonetheless, not here. It's not entirely bad, since some gags are solid, but did we really need Mrs. Puff to be here, too?)
[SIZE=14pt]207a) Mimic Madness GREAT [/SIZE](say what you want, but this is on the exact same levels as pre-movie gems. Every character is extremely likeable, and Spongebob's imitations are so entertaining. I also like how his voice actor nails their different voices, including the narrator. The song is great and Honolulu March playing during Spongebob's recover is just perfect)
[SIZE=14pt]207b) House Worming BAD [/SIZE](I'm not a fan of this kind of plots. Be it SpongeHenge, Jellyfish Jam or Sanctuary, I don't care. They're so unoriginal and repetitive)
[SIZE=14pt]208a) Snooze You Lose MEH [/SIZE](the ending is a bit unfair, but once again, Spongebob and Patrick are far from their Giant Squidward selves)
[SIZE=14pt]208b) Krusty Katering GOOD [/SIZE](the kid is annoying, but there's plenty of gags and the overall wackiness is a nice touch. Patrick acts like a jerk for a good reason)
[SIZE=14pt]209a) Spongebob's Place MEH [/SIZE](not bad, but it's not a unique plot)
[SIZE=14pt]209b) Plankton Gets the Boot GOOD [/SIZE](not bad, either, even though Karen 2.0 ending was better)
[SIZE=14pt]210a) Life Insurance MEH [/SIZE](greedy Krabs is back. I didn't definitely miss him. Squidward is considerably naive here)
[SIZE=14pt]210b) Burst Your Bubble GREAT [/SIZE](clever concept for a great episode)
[SIZE=14pt]211a) Plankton Retires GOOD [/SIZE](to be fair, I don't get why this gets so much hate. Krabs outsmarting Plankton at the beginning is a nice sequence and the ending is all but predictable)
[SIZE=14pt]211b) Trident Trouble MEH [/SIZE](are we ever going to get a good episode with Neptune? I guess not, because he's a dull character. At the very least, this is no The Clash of Triton)
[SIZE=14pt]212a) The Incredible Shrinking Sponge BAD [/SIZE](this is so all over the place. The ending is far too simplistic)
[SIZE=14pt]212b) Sportz? HORRIBLE [/SIZE](if Squidward and Sandy are the least likeable characters here, you realize something is off)
[SIZE=14pt]213a) The Getaway GREAT [/SIZE](wackiness and exaggeration aren't necessarily a bad thing. This is really entertaining)
[SIZE=14pt]213b) Lost and Found MEH [/SIZE](the idea isn't bad, but the execution could be better. That whining kid is so annoying to hear all the time)
[SIZE=14pt]214a) Patrick's Coupon MEH [/SIZE](Patrick is himself, but the direction doesn't know where to go)
[SIZE=14pt]214b) Out of the Picture BAD [/SIZE](Krabs wants to kill Squidward so that his works gain value. This plot could've been perfect for season 8)
[SIZE=14pt]215a) Feral Friends GREAT [/SIZE](one of the best episodes. The concept is ingenious, by having characters act like in real life, which is not only super entertaining, but also quite informative, since we learn something about sea creatures)
[SIZE=14pt]215b) Don't Wake Patrick MEH [/SIZE](the cliched sleepwalking episode from any single animated show. I don't care for it)

So, season 10 has 4 GREAT, 6 GOOD, 8 MEH, 3 BAD and 1 HORRIBLE episode. While we're thankfully far away from S6-7, I still believe S9B is better than S10. It has two fantastic episodes, but also plenty of meh entries. Sportz is definitely the worst episode of the season, and I can't conceive how both Squidward and Sandy manage to be so unlikeable. Squidward's punishment is deserved, but Sandy acts way too brutally.

SEASON 1: 24/14/3
SEASON 2: 23/11/5
SEASON 3: 20/14/3
SEASON 4: 15/14/9
SEASON 5: 17/9/15
SEASON 6: 16/9/22
SEASON 7: 17/9/23
SEASON 8: 17/13/17
SEASON 9: 25/11/13
SEASON 10: 10/8/4

Coffee_lover

Banished
Sandy acts way too brutally.
I'm dnot wanna defending Sportz? at all.But Sandy acts way too brutally?I really disagree,all that she did is put Squidward down on the ground and protect SpongeBob and Patrick,and she was not even angry on Squidward,just showed him that he should not go too far.Sandy probably highlight of this bad episode

Back