My Bottom 20 Season 1-3 Episodes

Giant Clam
Roadie said:
"A lot of people think this episode is good because [positive reason], but in my opinion [explain disagreement towards positive reason]."
I'll certainly take that into account. I am actually not all that experienced when it comes to reviewing, as I haven't done that many reviews in the past. I hope to strengthen my reviewing skills with more lists eventually, and some personal reviews.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
777 said:
I'll certainly take that into account. I am actually not all that experienced when it comes to reviewing, as I haven't done that many reviews in the past. I hope to strengthen my reviewing skills with more lists eventually, and some personal reviews.
As long as you're brave enough to stand by your opinions, no matter how unpopular it is, you're already a good critic.

Looking forward to your number 1 pick, as always.

Giant Clam
Deep sea dillies said:
is number 1 squilliam returns
Guess what? You're correct!

NUMBER 1 - SQUILLIAM RETURNS

Season - 3
Episode number - 48b
Airdate - March 15, 2002
SBMania rating - 8.1/10
My personal rating - 2.4/10

So yes, Squilliam Returns is my personal least favourite pre-movie episode of SpongeBob SquarePants. As a child, I really really hated this episode. Now, my opinions mostly stand. I really cannot STAND this episode. I know this episode has Squilliam, who we like to see after his smashing start in Band Geeks, but this episode features the protagonist in misery, ending in misery. And none of it is funny in the slightest. This episode is seriously the ONLY pre-movie episode out there that did not get one chuckle out of me. Everything in this episode is played out to the extreme. And SpongeBob's face as he tries to "become a fancy waiter in less than 20 minutes" gave me NIGHTMARES. What is there for me to like about this episode? I know by the SBMania rating that I am once again alone here, but I am starting to question the accuracy of the SBMania ratings. Do people just rate it 10 because it's pre-movie, then go on to rate all post-movie episodes 0 due to the stigma against post-movie?

If I had been around when this episode first aired, I can just tell I would have been bitterly disappointed after Band Geeks. It's obvious that this mess of an episode was a ratings trap, but enough about that. Let's talk about the advertiser. I will give a shiny quarter to anyone that can tell me what the heck they were thinking with that. A food monster that comes to life is just so out of place in this episode. It would be okay if this episode was funny but it just is not funny in the slightest. As a kid, this was the only pre-movie episode I actually hated. I did not watch this episode for more than seven years because I hated it so much. I decided to watch it again, and found the episode got no better as I got older. This episode is MORBID, not funny in the slightest, the plot is ALL over the place, and I wish this episode didn't exist.

Although I really do hate this episode, there ARE post-movie episodes I hate more (such as To Love a Patty). Is this episode bottom 10 material? Yes. Yes it is, in my opinion. But only by a hair or so. This would probably be 10th or 9th. The thing that makes this episode so unbearable though is that there are no saving graces. So this episode didn't get one chuckle out of me. Episodes earlier on in this list were still capable of making me laugh out loud. The higher ones on this list maybe got a few laughs, or chuckles. This episode didn't even get a chuckle. Even Survival of the Idiots did get a few chuckles. This, nope. This episode made me smile on two occasions (inside SpongeBob's brain, and trying to imagine Squilliam in his underwear).

And last but not least, this episode is mean-spirited as ::dolphin noise::. Nearly everything that happens in this episode is bad or negative, and even when things are "good" it's all fake, cracks are emerging, just like what happens in the real world. On top of everything else, this is a clear-cut Squidward Torture episode. Does Squidward win? Nope. What's Squid's primary emotion? Sadness and dejection. Does Squidward get revenge? Absolutely none. This is a Squidward Torture episode done very wrong. Which do I prefer, this or good neighbors? Well, they're about the same to be honest. They're both a 2.4/10.

This episode is one big bloated mess. And I know I am the only one on SBMania who feels this way and I understand that this is considered a good episode by most, but this episode just completely fell flat at my feet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This list was originally going to be a seasons 1-4 list, but I decided to focus in on 1-3, as I had quite a few season 4 entries and 20 wouldn't cut it. But I wanted to start off with a small list of 20 before going on to longer lists, to improve my reviewing skills. I will probably be doing more lists in the future, including a top 20 pre-movie. Why did I start with a negative list? Because I felt those are the ones I could do the best. Did I intend to make this list controversial? Nope. These are my opinions and I don't seem to run with the standard opinion?

And you're probably wondering, where was I'm With Stupid on this list? Well, that episode is actually a guilty pleasure of mine. I consider it to be a pretty great episode. I didn't even know there was a stigma against the episode until recently to be honest.

I hope you enjoyed my list. I only got two death threats in the making :)
(no seriously, I did)

Thanks for reading,
-SBMania user 5998

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
Good list. Really enjoyed the reviews. Didn't really agree with most choices but that's to be expected, so don't worry.

As for this one? I think it's great. There are a lot of hilarious and timeless gags like the smalles violin, the appetizer, the peas, the homina choir, the part inside SpongeBob's brain, and of course, Patrick's entire screen time ("may I teyk urrr hayyt sir"). I also like how the episode punished Squidward for lying and sticked with it even with the few twists it gave us on the third act.

Though I can see where you're coming from. I won't be bothered to defend the episode to death like I did with SOTI because I'm not exactly in love with it.

Hope to see more lists from you.

Giant Clam
Roadie said:
Good list. Really enjoyed the reviews. Didn't really agree with most choices but that's to be expected, so don't worry.

As for this one? I think it's great. There are a lot of hilarious and timeless gags like the smalles violin, the appetizer, the peas, the homina choir, the part inside SpongeBob's brain, and of course, Patrick's entire screen time ("may I teyk urrr hayyt sir"). I also like how the episode punished Squidward for lying and sticked with it even with the few twists it gave us on the third act.

Though I can see where you're coming from. I won't be bothered to defend the episode to death like I did with SOTI because I'm not exactly in love with it.

Hope to see more lists from you.
Smallest violin is alright I guess, nothing too good though, seeing as it's always done with malicious intent, the appetizer is just downright morbid, the homina choir is eh, SpongeBob's brain is probably the best part of the episode. Patrick's hat thing annoyed the living crap out of me as a kid, and even more so now.

I dunno, this episode just does not do it for me at all. I think I my next list will have to be a top 20 pre-movie episodes list. Everyone probably thinks of me as a mindless hater now. The thing is, everyone already knows what number 1 is gonna be. But I'll do it anyway.

Giant Clam
Big Potato Leedles said:
But...I love Squilliam Returns :(
I hope you'll agree more with my top 20 list. I feel that list will be much less controversial, as I won't have to tear into any episodes.

Also, is there a pre-movie episode you don't love?

For me, seasons 1-3, although the golden years, do have their flaws and their duds. All the best shows have duds. Steven Universe has Say Uncle, which would get a similar write-up from me.

Leedles

Leedle
I hope you'll agree more with my top 20 list. I feel that list will be much less controversial, as I won't have to tear into any episodes.

Also, is there a pre-movie episode you don't love?

For me, seasons 1-3, although the golden years, do have their flaws and their duds. All the best shows have duds. Steven Universe has Say Uncle, which would get a similar write-up from me.
Yes, I do dislike certain pre movie episodes:

Tea at the Treedome
Squeaky Boots
Jellyfishing
Nature Pants
MuscleBob BuffPants
Grandma's Kisses
Bossy Boots

That's 7 episodes

Giant Clam
Big Potato Leedles said:
Yes, I do dislike certain pre movie episodes:

Tea at the Treedome
Squeaky Boots
Jellyfishing
Nature Pants
MuscleBob BuffPants
Grandma's Kisses
Bossy Boots

That's 7 episodes
Whoops you double posted by accident.

Tea at the Treedome and Nature Pants are middlling episodes (probably would be in the 50s or 60s), a lot of those in that list are already on this list.

Grandma's Kisses?!?!?!?!! Seriously?? I LOVE that episode!!!!!! Man so this is what reading my list must've been like, yikes.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
2: I sorta agree with that, it was mainly overkill
1:...Wha
Not a chuckle
OH NO HE'S HOT
May I take your hat sir?
and SpongeBob giving karma to Squilliam's entourage, and tbh Squidward could've been honest to Squilliam, honestly I just love him bragging and I can't explain it.
You sir have without a doubt dethroned SK, and I'll be sure to tell him. :p

Giant Clam
Award said:
2: I sorta agree with that, it was mainly overkill
1:...Wha
Not a chuckle
OH NO HE'S HOT
May I take your hat sir?
and SpongeBob giving karma to Squilliam's entourage, and tbh Squidward could've been honest to Squilliam, honestly I just love him bragging and I can't explain it.
You sir have without a doubt dethroned SK, and I'll be sure to tell him. :P
"May I take your hat sir" was so infuriating as a kid I wanted to throw a chair through the TV. "Oh no he's hot" is clever, but doesn't make me laugh.

Mr. Harrison

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Squilliam Returns is one of my favourite season 3 episodes. It's probably in my top 5.

Mighty the armidillo

Moby Dollar
i did not think squilliam returns would be number 1 i just posted a random episode

here are my least favourite pre movie episodes

as seen on TV
sailor mouth
krabby land
chocolate with nuts i mean it
ripped pants
mermaid man and barnacle boy 4
squid on strike
tea at the treedome
texas
jellyfish hunting

Giant Clam
Deep sea dillies said:
i did not think squilliam returns would be number 1 i just posted a random episode

here are my least favourite pre movie episodes

as seen on TV
sailor mouth
krabby land
chocolate with nuts i mean it
ripped pants
mermaid man and barnacle boy 4
squid on strike
tea at the treedome
texas
jellyfish hunting
Why chocolate with nuts?

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
This list lost all its credibility once the OP listed amazing episodes because of bad experiences he had in the past.

Like, that is is serisualy the most dumbest, worst, and biased reason to hate an episode. Hating a great episode for that reason just loses all credibility.

Back