[SIZE=10.5pt]NUMBER 3 - PARTY POOPER PANTS[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Season - 3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Episode number - 51[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Airdate - May 17, 2002[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]SBMania rating - 7.0/10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]My personal rating - 3.4/10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Ohhh boy.. where do I even START with this mess of a 22-minute episode? Well, let's just say the title is one of the most fitting ever. You get the 50-pair and the 52-pair. These two pairs are arguably the best of the whole show. Then right smack between them, you get THIS. I remember first seeing this and thinking "oh my god this is terrible!". This premise could barely fill an 11-minute episode, yet they drag it out to 22 minutes and fill the time with some boring, unfunny patchy segments. Don't worry, there's a season 9 special that would do this 10 times worse. I'm sure you know what I mean. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]So after some filler about buying the party kit, which is actually pretty sad, you know, that guy at the counter is obviously extremely depressed at being stuck in such a dead-end job for 40 years, SpongeBob finally gets round to setting up the party. At almost no motivation either. He found a house party kit. That's the magic that kick-starts this.. I guess you can call it a plot? I'm not sure about that though. So ScumBob then goes home and starts setting up the house party, and we see one overly long joke after another. We see him panic at his guests being 10 seconds late. Yes, I get a bit annoyed if guests are like, 30 mins late, but 10 ::dolphin noise::ing seconds? Cmon cheeseboy. Lighten up. But it only goes downhill from there.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]SpongeBob is just HORRIBLE in this episode. Extremely out of character for him. All he does is WHINE because they aren't sticking to his horrible schedule. There are only two moments here that actually made me laugh. Patrick reading the card upside down and the window flipping. THAT'S IT. Two small jokes in a 22-minute episode. Really, this episode's ONLY saving grace at all is the song at the end. That's all this 22-minute episode has to offer, really. Urgh! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Now let's talk about the second act. SpongeBob gets locked out and tries to get back in. YAAAAAY!!! That's it. For eight straight minutes, he tries to get back into his own stupid party, all the while having a hissy fit when people decide to be human and do what they want. Oh those monsters! Also, this second act is riddled with plotholes. Why didn't he just tunnel through again after he was flung out the first time. WHY DIDN'T HE JUST GO IN THROUGH THE WINDOW!!! But I'm kind of glad SB didn't get back in, he probably would have been even more unlikeable then. Then he gets arrested for quite possibly the most stupid reason I've ever seen. That cop should be fired and blacklisted. And I don't even want to start on the key under the mat thing. Thanks, what a gigantic waste of 22 minutes of my life. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I never want to see this episode again. I have a VERY strong dislike for this episode. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]And now we're getting into the episodes I truly HATE.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Hint for next episode - Blarggh![/SIZE]

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
4: I will murder you. :) Honestly it's an interesting concept. Humor isn't everything in a cartoon show, I hate when people just can't seem to accept that at all, it shows that even though Gary's only a snail, SpongeBob and him have this connection between each other, even if it's an obvious ending it's the ride that counts. Plus the ending line was great. It seems like I'm one of the few who actually like this. :/
3: RSF will murder you. :)
Seriously it's his favorite episode, that's one debate I'd like to see. :p

TheGreatWizard

Anti-Oobi
You will start to go and.... donate me dubloons?

Because you're right!

NUMBER 14 - JELLYFISH JAM

Season - 1
Episode number - 7b
Airdate - August 28, 1999
SBMania rating - 7.8/10
My personal rating - 5.1/10

So this episode does some amazing things with the colors and animation, for a season one episode. The animation is absolutely amazing! Sadly, that's all that's really great about this episode. It has barely any plot, and there aren't as many jokes as most pre-movie episodes. The visual aspect of this episode is absolutely phenomenal, but really, hardly anything actually happens here except Squidward getting annoyed with the music. It's just kinda a weak episode, all things considered. That being said, this episode does have its funny moments, like at the start.

Hint for next episode - 00

Didn't that have that satanic worship dance

Giant Clam
So after a little break, I am going to do the last two episodes.

These are THE ONLY two pre-movie episodes that I actually HATE.

[SIZE=10.5pt]NUMBER 2 - SURVIVAL OF THE IDIOTS[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Season - 2[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Episode number - 29a[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Airdate - March 5, 2001[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]SBMania rating - I don't even wanna say it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]My personal rating - 2.7/10[/SIZE]

This episode is just... nasty. It's absolutely nasty in every possible way. So it's about playing in the snow. Recipe for disaster. If you've been keeping track of the list, and read the reasoning behind my dislike of The Snowball Effect, you'll know why it's bad enough that it's an episode about playing in the snow. But here's the thing. The Snowball Effect does nothing wrong, it's just an unfortunate premise that doesn't go well with me. But this episode, not only is it about playing in the snow, it is a HORRIFYING episode.
You know in To Love a Patty when SpongeBob suddenly starts murdering clams? How out of character that is? Sandy is 10 times more out of character than SpongeBob was when he tore that clam right clean in half. I absolutely want to smash the TV when watching this episode, it is that infuriating. Sandy looks HORRIBLE as well. This episode, in my opinion, is how to kill a character in 11 minutes. This episode was so bad, and so un-SpongeBob like that it put me off Sandy for years to come. This episode's butchering of Sandy is comparable to Patrick in Yours, Mine and Mine. It's THAT bad.
And not to mention when they strip Sandy of all her fur and she starts ROARING. The list goes on and on. And when the infernal white stuff finally melts, that could be a nice moment, but nope, Sandy comes down, suddenly back to normal, minus the fur, and goes SPONGEBOB... PATRICK... and there is this creaking sound like her neck is gonna snap. Also, in this absolute mess of an episode, not much is funny. The dirty-dan pinhead larry thing is this episode's saving grace. That and a few other chuckles are the only things that save this episode from down-right bombing. There are still many post-movie episodes I hate more than this.
So there's this weird scene involving PatBack. SpongeBob says "Hah, that IS really disturbing". I didn't understand this "joke" as a kid. I do now, and lemme just say, this episode must be pretty self-aware. Because this is one of the most disturbing episodes of all time. People call A Pal for Gary horrible but they let this one slide because of nostalgia maybe? For me, Sandy in this episode is a quarter as bad as Puffy Fluffy (and that IS saying something).
There's so much messed up about this episode, and I hate it. But there's still one more. What could be worse?

Hint for final episode - One of the tamer words I'd use to describe this episode is said in the episode.

Giant Clam
Yeah my list is rather controversial I know.

Giant Clam
3 more people to guess and I will reveal numero uno :)

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
I guess I should give my own opinions on this episode, considering I love it to death. What I'm going to do is try and justify the points you've made about the episode's problems.

First of all, there are cases when an episode uses an element that unintentionally upsets the audience. However, in your case, I think it's more about jealousy rather than actually offending. It's like disliking Band Geeks for never taking part in a band. In fact, the whole show is about adeventures underwater, and I don't think we should hate on it just because we're never a part of that experience.

If an actual tragedy (like death, for example) happened with snow being involved and you have the unfortunate fate of witnessing it, then I guess disliking an episode because there's snow in it would make a better argument, but here it's just a tad bit pointless to mention. The episode is not making fun of people who has never seen snow. It doesn't even directly embrace the snow. It's just using snow as a medium to tell jokes.

Besides, if you're still in your teens, there is so much more life ahead of you. There's every chance of you moving into an area with lots of snow in the future :). It's okay to feel separated from the characters' experience but we shouldn't really use that argument to take down an episode.

Your next problem with the episode is Sandy being "out of character". Well, it's very clear that she's not fully aware of the things that are happening in the episode, considering she's hibernating and is mostly unconscious. What I'm saying is Sandy's "out of character-ness" is the joke of the episode and is totally justified by the setting, the conflict and the overall narrative of the episode. If you don't find it funny, I can totally understand, but in my opinion it's some of the most comedic scenes ever animated. We can't agree on everything can we?

Also, I like to think that the entire gag is a parody of whenever a girl is on her period, which would make the entire gag even better, tbh.

I do have to point it that an episode is not butchering a character if it made it clear that the character is supposed to be out of character. As I said before, Sandy's character being butchered is the main joke of the episode. To not find it funny is totally fine, but to call it "character butchering" would be totally unfair to the episode.

To Love a Patty and Yours, Mine and Mine are different because both SpongeBob and Patrick in their respective episodes were being themselves. In those episodes, they're doing out of character things that are motivated by their own will. That's the meaning of being out of character. In this episode, Sandy is in a borderline comatose state. She has no idea what she's doing. Therefore, justifying her out of character actions.

Lastly, you can't be angry at her for wanting to kill SpongeBob and Patrick. She made a video telling them (and SpongeBob specifically) to not disturb her when she's hibernating and they did it anyway. Then, they shave her entire fur off. Try actually getting the same thing done to you by a college buddy after a hard day in class, you'll see why it's fine for her to go "SPONGEBOOOB... PATRIICKKK..." Trust me. I know.

The reason I'm doing this is because you compared it to A Pal For Gary and said "people let this one slide because of nostalgia", and let me just say as a massive fan of this episode I feel a tiny bit offended. What I am trying to say is, a lot of people and I love this episode for valid reasons. Not because of nostalgia. The things that you pointed out as disturbing, we actually find funny.

There are also part where I think your argument is invalid, including the part about character butchering. I think there's definitely too much standards for keeping the characters inside a one dimensional frame of actions in most of your reviews and I'd like to point out that it's a bit too much.

I'm not trying to change your mind. If you hate it, go ahead. I just want you to understand that this episode is loved for reasons way more valid than "nostalgia". It's fine to have an unpopular or controversial opinion and I respect your bravery in sharing that.

Just keep the review balanced and soft when the opinion is unpopular, okay? Keep up the good work. :peace:

Giant Clam
Number 1 will be on its way shortly :)

Roadie said:
I'll take your comment into consideration and be softer on episode number one. As a kid, I just disliked the episode, probably would've been number 10 on this list or so, but since my snow aversion set in, that's what made me hate it.

Also, Patrick gives a huuuge monologue about what snow is like (even though he's actually reading off a candy wrapper, it's obvious that they're talking about snow really).

Really, there isn't all that much I can say about number one to be honest, so I probably won't be tearing it apart as much. I get that people have different opinions. There is probably someone out there who hates Chocolate with Nuts, my favourite episode. And there is probably someone out there that loves One Coarse Meal. But I can see why maybe you are upset that I don't like Survival of the Idiots. Maybe I did go a little hard on it, comparing it to A Pal for Gary.

Still, as a kid, I did not like to see Sandy act so out of character, no matter what the reason is.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
777 said:
Number 1 will be on its way shortly :)

I'll take your comment into consideration and be softer on episode number one. As a kid, I just disliked the episode, probably would've been number 10 on this list or so, but since my snow aversion set in, that's what made me hate it.

Also, Patrick gives a huuuge monologue about what snow is like (even though he's actually reading off a candy wrapper, it's obvious that they're talking about snow really).

Really, there isn't all that much I can say about number one to be honest, so I probably won't be tearing it apart as much. I get that people have different opinions. There is probably someone out there who hates Chocolate with Nuts, my favourite episode. And there is probably someone out there that loves One Coarse Meal. But I can see why maybe you are upset that I don't like Survival of the Idiots. Maybe I did go a little hard on it, comparing it to A Pal for Gary.

Still, as a kid, I did not like to see Sandy act so out of character, no matter what the reason is.
Nah, mate I'm not upset that you didn't like the episode. There's no reason to be upset over someone else's opinions :thumbsup:

My point was; when your opinion is unpopular/controversial, take consideration of the majority's opinion. Tearing it apart is a must, but the best way to do it is by comparing your opinion with others so they can see where you're coming from. Instead of dismissing their arguments as nostalgia. For example:

"A lot of people think this episode is good because [positive reason], but in my opinion [explain disagreement towards positive reason]."

Back