Metallica's New Album, "Hardwired...to Self-Destruct"

So since this album just got leaked, I think it would be a good time to make a topic on this. Anyway, I haven't heard the leak yet, but I'm hyped for the album since I love Metallica. I really hope this album is better than the 3 released tracks (which most of the discussion I've seen amongst people who've heard it are saying) because they were kind of generic for Metallica, and nothing special (though I did enjoy Atlas, Rise! substansially more than the others). The excitement for this album has been really wild, people are saying it's their best since The Black Album (aka their self-titled), specifically the tracks "Spit Out The Bone" and "Halo On Fire". I'll write more when I hear this album.
I CAN WAIT 6 DAYS I CAN WAIT 6 DAYS I CAN WAIT 6 DAYS

also the album artwork is legitimately disgusting to look at, so horrible. for once i might just want this digital and not the cd
good god what is wrong with whoever picked THAT atrocity for the cover

tEMMIE

hOI!!!
  • what is that title supposed to even mean
  • why did they pick THAT as their cover
  • why did they pick THOSE as the alternate covers
  • why did they pick WHAT THEY PICKED for the single covers
  • why did they think those song names (ManUNkind (i get it?), Am I Savage? (yes)) were good enough for a mainstream release
  • why is this a double album when all the songs can fit onto one disc
  • why didn't they call somebody out for the lyrics (WE'RE SO ::dolphin noise::ED, ::dolphin noise:: OUT OF LUCK)
At least the bits and pieces of St. Anger I've heard are at least funny-bad. This just seems... bad-bad.

I've listened through this album a couple times now, and here's just some random thoughts on each of the tracks:
  • Hardwired: Yeahhh...I don't really like this one. I wouldn't be surprised if it took about 6 minutes to write the entire song. It just seems really bland and uninteresting, as well with bad lyrics (I don't even need to say anything here). One of the weaker tracks on the album.
  • Atlas, Rise!: I liked this one a lot at first. Now I don't like it as much. It's a very generic Metallica song that would've fit perfectly on Death Magnetic. It's got the same exact problems as the songs on that album. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a leftover from the Death Magnetic recordings that wasn't good enough to even make it on Beyond Magnetic (which makes sense considering the song)
  • Now That We're Dead: Now this is where the album gets good. This song is HEAVY. It's not very fast, but it's a heavy crusher that does it's job very well. Great song.
  • Moth Into Flame: Didn't really care for this one at first. It's grown on me quite a bit. It's an enjoyable song with some good riffage and changes and it's a fun listen. Not anything too spectacular but I like it.
  • Dream No More: This sounds like it would fit perfectly on Reload. Which isn't a bad thing. Reload is a pretty underrated album imo, much much better than Load. This song is sludgy, and it's got some atmosphere to it. It's a good song. It could be better (maybe by being a little shorter, a problem MANY songs on this album face), but it's good.
  • Halo On Fire: Ugh...this song. I hate when Metallica pulls stuff like this. This song is almost 9 minutes and it's extremely boring with almost nothing to it until 6 minutes in. Even discounting the boring "buildup", the song isn't even anything really special to begin with. This is definitely the most boring song on the album, and that's a statement that holds weight.
  • Confusion: This one is good. Don't have much to say about it.
  • ManUNkind: I liked how this song started. It sounded like it was gonna be an awesome thrasher. The first 2 minutes fit that, but then it went into this long, boring mass of nothing for about 4 minutes only to repeat the chorus from the beginning at the end. God, this is one that SERIOUSLY could have used being shorter. If this song was 3 minutes long, I would've loved it. But instead, they HAD to make it go on for 7 minutes and drag it so hard it's beaten and it can't even get up. Sigh.
  • Here Comes Revenge: This song has a riff that sounds exactly like the one in Thorn Within. And the song structure is very similar. However, I'll let it slide since this song is better. The riff at the beginning is AWESOME and that is also what leads me to my main complaint on this song: the verses. The first 2 verses really bring down the mood of that EPIC sounding riff that destroys you at the beginning, and all the energy is lost. How hard would it have been to have just sung over that riff? Whatever, after those verses the song gets amazing for the rest of it's time and who cares that riff is great. This one is a good one for sure.
  • Am I Savage?: I really like this one. It's got a nice groove to it at the beginning. The verses are fun and enjoyable, and the chorus brings up the intensity but it doesn't feel destroyed when it goes back to the verses. Then the breakdown comes in. I love this breakdown. It's heavy, fast, and chaotic and is pretty out of place in this song but I don't care since it's awesome. Kirk does a great guitar solo here, unlike most of the snoozers he put out earlier on this album. One of the best songs on the album.
  • Murder One: This one isn't that bad actually. It's an okay song, nothing at all really too memorable but it's fine. It's shorter than most of the other songs (by "shorter" I mean this is 5 minutes, which is pretty impressive for Metallica who really, really like to drag things out). Regardless this is something I can't nitpick on. Okay song.
  • Spit Out The Bone: hOLY ::dolphin noise:: ::dolphin noise:: THIS IS SO GOOD THIS HAS TO BE METALLICA'S BEST SONG SiNCE AT LEAST AND JUSTICE FOR ALL HELL YES YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO THIS
This album is worth your time for Spit Out The Bone alone. The rest is a mixed bag, but it's more on the "good" side than the "bad" side. This is a pretty decent Metallica album, as a whole I'd rate it about a 7.5/10.

Mavaxis Starburner

I love SBM
Spit Out The Bone, Moth Into Flame, Halo on Fire ( :sbface: ), and Now That We're Dead are my favorites.

todd phillips said:
ii like metallica.still a better band than one direction.
That's not exactly a hard title to achieve. We're talking one of the biggest bands in history versus a fad act that all but died 2 years ago.

AlphaWarhawk said:
Spit Out The Bone, Moth Into Flame, Halo on Fire ( :sbface: ), and Now That We're Dead are my favorites.
I would agree, if you removed Halo On Fire. Overrated song that's actually one of the weakest on the album.
Unpopular opinion: I also really like Am I Savage?
EDIT: forgot i made the first post so im kinda repeating myself here

Back