Matt's Thoughts on Tom and Jerry

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Goodbye Krabby Patty's #1 Fan
Staff
If Gene is your second favorite, what is your least favorite Jones?
While I like the Hanna-Barbera era the best the Jones and Deitch eras are kinda the same level for me in rankings... the Deitch era had more risky humor but worse shorts in general, while the Jones era had less risky humor but better shorts in general.

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Staff
Time to rate The Tom and Jerry Show (1975). After this I will rate the movies since episodes of The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show and Tom and Jerry Kids are somewhat hard to find online

The Tom and Jerry Show (1975)- After the original shorts ended, Tom and Jerry got worse. The Tom and Jerry Show is not too bad, but it definitely lacks the humor present in the shorts. Tom and Jerry were now forced to be friends, and most of the slapstick could not be used due to rules on children's TV during this time period. Still, there are some decent shorts in this show that you could watch if you want.

The music, although overused, is also pretty catchy in some parts and the animation is not as bad as most people say it is. Anyway, here are my top and bottom 3 shorts.

Top 3:

3. The Super Bowler (4C)
(Even though it's not like The Bowling Alley Cat, here Tom and Jerry are competing in a bowling competition, but Jerry always finds a way to beat Tom. There are some jokes in here that kind of are more "risky" than other shorts, such as Tom being flattened by a chair and getting turned into a bowling pin by the pinsetter.)
2. The Wacky World of Sports (3B) (Another solid short. Tom and Jerry are competing in several sports such as tennis, track and field, and weight lifting. However, Tom tries to cheat in most of the events (and in most cases his cheating backfires and causes him to lose. There are a lot of great jokes and the short is fast-paced which makes it pretty decent.)
1. Watch Out, Watch Dog (9A) (This is one of the best shorts in this show, mostly because it has a classic Tom and Jerry feeling to it. Spike the Bulldog (which has a fatter face than his previous designs) chases Tom and Jerry around a department store while saying "guard guard guard guard guard guard" over and over again. There are some classic jokes used in this short, which are not common in this series. In one scene, a door slams onto Spike's face, in another scene, Spike rips out an escalator, and Spike actually runs like the Tasmanian Devil from the Looney Tunes series. It does get boring at a few points but overall this is a good short.)

Bottom 3:

3. The Hypochondriac Lion (8A)
(Boring!)
2. The Castle Wiz (6A) (Boring as well. There were many opportunities for jokes but they were all wasted and replaced with more unfunny jokes.)
1. The Flying Sorceress (6C) (While it tries to reference the classic short of the same name, this is nowhere near as good as that short. The witch's voice is high pitched and pretty annoying considering how many useless lines she has, and there are barely any jokes to even support the short.)

The movies are next! The first movie I will rate is Tom and Jerry: The Fast and the Furry (2005). I'm doing this movie first because it's kinda nostalgic for me since it was one of the first Tom and Jerry stuff I watched and it's a great movie as well. (Also it has some more serious hidden meanings about greed, and one of the characters is even voiced by Tom Kenny, which is interesting!)

Last edited:

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Staff
Also by the way today a new Tom and Jerry DVD movie was released, called "Tom and Jerry: Cowboy Up!". It uses the 2014 Tom and Jerry show animation style and from the trailer on the wiki page it looks okay.

I kinda miss the Tom and Jerry Tales animation style used in the earlier DVD movies though...

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
If Gene is your second favorite, what is your least favorite Jones?
Probably Shutter Bugged Cat(159)

Chuck Jones era is very good and nostalgic, probably my 4th favorite era.
Top 5 best:
5. Filet Meow(148).
4. Catty Cornered(151)
3. I'm Just Wild About Jerry(139)
2. Cat and Dupli Cat(152)
1. Duel Personality(143).

Top 5 worst:
5. The Cat's Me Ouch(142)
4. The Brother Carry Mouse Off(137)
3. The Unshrinkable Jerry Mouse(133)
2. Matinee Mouse(149)
1. Shutter Bugged Cat(159)

I am not sure about the choices for the worst list because there are some episodes I barely remember but whatever.
Overall - 8/10

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
The Tom and Jerry Show (1975) is surely one of the worst eras. It has a lot of episodes and only few of them are good and those which are good are not that good compared to other eras.
Top 5 episdoes:
5. Beach Bully(2C)
4. Watch Out, Watch Dog(9A)
3. The Super Bowler(4C)
2. The Super Cyclists(9B)
1. The Wacky World Of Sports(3B)

I have no idea for worst 5 episodes... I can't decide which ones are worse than other episodes.

Overall - 4.5/10(pretty bad)

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
Matt, will you continue to review the movies or other eras when you have time?
I just remembered this thread now and I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this fantastic show and I want some more talking about this show:excited:

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Staff
Matt, will you continue to review the movies or other eras when you have time?
I just remembered this thread now and I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this fantastic show and I want some more talking about this show:excited:
I haven't watched Tom and Jerry in a while, when I have time I will try to make another review! I remember it was fun doing these :sbface:

Back