In Progress Matt's Random Episode Reviews

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Goodbye Krabby Patty's #1 Fan
Staff
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where I review episodes- except they are randomly chosen. I will try to review 3 episodes a week, maybe more, maybe less. I originally did a review thread in December 2020: https://www.sbmania.net/forums/threads/matts-spongebob-review-thread.63483/ but I stopped it after just 2 reviews when I felt like my reviews weren't very good. I have decided to give this another attempt, this time making my reviews simpler, shorter, and more to the point. I hope you enjoy!

My rating scale (there once used to be colors on this but it will take too long for me to put it in):

Perfect (20/20)
Magnificent (19/20)
Amazing (18/20)
Fantastic (17/20)
Wonderful (16/20)
Great (15/20)
Good (14/20)
Satisfactory (13/20)
Decent (12/20)
Acceptable (11/20)
Mediocre (10/20)
Subpar (9/20)
Bad (8/20)
Poor (7/20)
Awful (6/20)
Terrible (5/20)
Horrible (4/20)
Dreadful (3/20)
Horrendous (2/20)
Abysmal (1/20)
ScumBob (0/20)

Anyway, the first review is below! :sbyes:

Last edited:

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Staff
Review #1

SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget
Season 5

This is one of the shorts from Season 5, and possibly the best, tied with The Krusty Plate. The rhyming narration and the "sponge vs. machine" plot are all executed very well, and there are cameos from Sandy, Patrick, and King Neptune. The only question I have with this episode is how Squidward got the machine in the first place- did he build it or did he get it from someone else? But other than that, the episode is great and definitely one of the best from Season 5.

Final Rating: Magnificent (19/20)

Review #2

Kenny the Cat
Season 9(A)

On the same boat with Yeti Krabs, Evil Spatula, and License to Milkshake, this is yet another bland subpar episode from Season 9A. There are many issues- for starters, SpongeBob's absolutely hideous obsession with Kenny. It only gets worse from there, when SpongeBob finds Kenny is faking it. Even Kenny himself makes no sense- although he just wanted to stand out from other cats, why did he have to literally almost kill himself by not breathing just to be popular? While the ending is okay, the entire episode fails to impress, and it ends up just another dud in Season 9A.

Final Rating: Bad (8/20)

Review #3

Shopping List
Season 11

This is one of the simple but fantastic episodes from Season 11 that work very well. Some of the best moments include the back of Mr. Krabs' shopping list, SpongeBob dancing down the street, and, of course, the hammer flying into Plankton's face. I do feel a little bad for Plankton in this episode, but it seems to be a great parody of the Krabs-Plankton relationship- of how far Plankton will go to get the secret formula. The ending twist is executed well, and Mr. Krabs got what he deserved. And to top it all off, the Dirty Dan and Pinhead Larry, Yeti Krabs, and Flying Dutchman cameos throughout the episode. Overall an episode with a simple plot but filled with great jokes.

Final Rating: PERFECT (20/20)

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
Good reviews. I think you did them well and to the point as you wanted to do
I like you do it randomly, it makes it being more interesting.
Spongebob vs. the Patty Gadget is my favorite one among these three episodes.

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Staff
3 more reviews today!

Review #4

Ghoul Fools
Season 8

This is one of the few SpongeBob episodes that are good all the way through... expect for the ending. The jokes are somewhat funny, and I especially love the Void scenes with Patrick. As with other Season 8 songs, the song in the episode is fantastic. Probably the best part of the episode is where Lord Poltergeist shows Patrick a pizza with anchovies that even go meep! But, sadly, the episode takes a 180 degree turn for the worse when the Flying Dutchman is involved. Seriously, his appearance is completely unnecessary for this episode, but I would expect that since this is still Season 8! If maybe the gold situation was settled another way, maybe this episode would have been in the top 5 for the season. But in the end, the Flying Dutchman turns into an atomic bomb and blows the entire cast into the Void, an underwhelming ending. How are they going to get out of there? Surely it's not the worst ending possible, but it could be improved a lot. But despite the horrid ending, the rest of the episode doesn't fail to impress, balancing the rating to a mediocre 11/20.

Final Rating: Acceptable (11/20)

Review #5

Girls' Night Out
Season 11

Another modern SpongeBob episode where SpongeBob isn't the main character. But that doesn't mean the episode is bad, because Girls' Night Out is quite decent, but there definitely is room for improvement. Sandy, Mrs. Puff, and Karen's grouping is strange but funny as well, beginning with the first prank on Mr. Krabs and Plankton. Plankton is stupider than usual and fails to notice that the Mr. Krabs costume is not actually Mr. Krabs, despite one eye being a pipe and one claw being a karate glove! But in the end the joke works, and Mr. Krabs and Plankton duel each other in the Krusty Krab restaurant. But the highlight, however, is the prank on SpongeBob. It's simple, but creative and totally hilarious. In SpongeBob's virtual world, there is a pterodactyl, flying pineapples, and a waving banana. Mrs. Puff then suddenly becomes evil and begins to make SpongeBob's road really bumpy. SpongeBob's cart rolls away, and the Gal Pals chase after him, but only catches SpongeBob when the trio falls off a cliff with him. In the end, SpongeBob discovers the virtual reality helmet and thinks it's the best prank done on him ever, but if he knew what really was going on in the real world, maybe he will think otherwise...; but all in all, this episode is another good episode in Season 11.

Final Rating: Good (14/20)

Review #6

Texas
Season 1

Unlike some Season 1 episodes, this episode gets to a fast start, with Sandy wanting to go back to Texas- even though it's only Season 1 and we barely know her! But she doesn't know she is a TV show character, so she begins to get homesick. SpongeBob and Patrick try to cheer her up, but with no success. When they leave, Sandy sings a song about Texas. The song isn't very good, though, as some of the lyrics are off-key, whether it's intentional or not. But definitely the highlight of the episode is when Sandy prepares to leave, and SpongeBob and Patrick think Texas is dumb. That's where the fun starts. Sandy becomes mad, really mad, and SpongeBob and Patrick get chased. Patrick gets lassoed and explodes, SpongeBob gets cut in half, and gets stretched to the point his eyeballs are almost falling off. But when Sandy sees the party SpongeBob made, complete with dancing with cubes, touching sharp Qs, peas in a can pie, and ten gallon water jug hats, Sandy decides to stay. The episode at least teaches a lesson- "Home is where you're surrounded by critters that care about you", at least in a comedic way. Overall, an enjoyable Season 1 episode, but if you don't like music you should probably skip the song.

Final Rating: Fantastic (17/20)

THE WINNER: Texas
with a rating of 17/20

This was a longer one! The next set of reviews will hopefully come out on July 1st. I will be on vacation for around the next two weeks, so I might not have a lot of time to write these but I will try to write as many as I can! :dab:

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Staff
3 more reviews! I will be on vacation for a while so no more reviews until at least 7/7.

Review #7

SPONGEBOB YOU'RE FIRED...
Season 9

I am surprised this episode came up the first thing today, and it's because perhaps this episode is the worst out of Seasons 9-12. There are just so many things wrong with the episode, from the start to the end. Mr. Krabs firing SpongeBob over a nickel is just the lowest thing Mr. Krabs can even do. Was he intoxicated or something? SpongeBob is his best fry cook, and without him, the entire restaurant would lose business! And it doesn't get any better. Three minutes of crying, Squidward doesn't care, and Patrick's "fun-employed" joke. Sandy feeds toxic food to unsuspecting fish, SpongeBob's hideous close-up, and Patrick's forehead insulting SpongeBob (which was slightly funny. And the second half could have improved the episode, but no. SpongeBob gets fired from several restaurants because he can only cook Krabby Patties, and then, suddenly, all of the restaurant owners want him back. This doesn't even make sense, as the Wet Noodle owner didn't even have anybody taste SpongeBob's patty! Finally, after many fight scenes, SpongeBob almost getting stretched to death, Squidward in a giant Krabby Patty comes to save SpongeBob, and it all ends with a pay toilet installed. That's it. This could have worked as a 11 minute episode, not a special, and it wouldn't have been even better.

But fortunately, this marked a change in SpongeBob from bad to good. After this episode is Lost in Bikini Bottom, the start of Season 9B and where SpongeBob became good again. But that doesn't make this horrendous episode any better.

Final Rating: ScumBob (0/20) :dyah:

Review #8

Breakin'
Season 12

Like The String, this is a short episode with a simple plot, but it's executed very well. The beginning starts out typical enough, with a guy coming into the Krusty Krab and demanding Krabs have SpongeBob take a break, as he hadn't took one in 20 years. I like the reference to how long SpongeBob ran, as this episode premiered on September 14, 2019, around 20 years after the start of the show. But the real fun begins when SpongeBob takes his 5-minute break (which is a clever reference to the length of the episode). While the Krusty Krab break room is very dilapidated, SpongeBob doesn't notice and makes the most of it, playing with sausages, surfing next to a background of a wave, eating poisonous food and collapsing into cubes, and eventually having a party. Everyone joins the party, from the female blond-haired fish (which is somehow voiced by Tom Kenny) and even the guy that wanted Krabs to take a break. But when the break's over, everyone leaves, and Krabs covers up the break room again, unaware that Squidward is still in it, a funny way to end the episode. Overall, just an excellent short with many references to the show.

Final Rating: Magnificent (19/20)

Review #9

Patrick! The Game

I still remember when this episode first aired on TV. I also remember not liking it, especially how Patrick's game got destroyed in the end. But I recently rewatched it a few months ago, and I was impressed by how great the episode actually is. This is one of the few episodes to actually focus on Patrick more than SpongeBob, and in this episode he decides to create a game. The concept of Tic-Tac is really funny, as whoever goes first always wins no matter what. Patrick doesn't know and he decides it wasn't a good idea. The only bad part about the first half of the episode before the game night begins is how Sandy is used as a plot device- yet again. Patrick has no ideas so he goes to Sandy, and suddenly an idea instantly goes into his head. This type of using Sandy as a plot device is really common in this era of SpongeBob, and this segment could have been worked differently so Patrick could get the idea. Once Patrick constructs his game, SpongeBob, Sandy, and Squidward play the game, and the real fun begins. (I apologize for using this phrase as well in the above review, but do I have anything else to describe this?) Squidward goes into jail repeatedly, and at one point a real prisoner even appears through Squidward's jail "helmet". After a lot of fun, Squidward throws a tantrum outside and destroys up Patrick's game. Unfortunately for him, a real police van arrives and Squidward gets sent to real jail. I have noticed that some people love this episode, while others hate it. While I still feel this episode could have been better, it certainly is another great episode in Season 9B.

Final Rating: Great (15/20)

THE WINNER: Breakin'
with a rating of 19/20

The next review will hopefully be on 7/7!

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Staff
3 more reviews!

Review #10

Pest of the West
Season 5

This is one of the episodes that may seem fine from above. I also thought it was an amazing episode, and at once rated it a 19/20. There are a lot of memorable moments, such as Patrick Revere, and all the versions of SpongeBob characters in Western form, and the Idiot Friends song at the end. This all may make this episode seem great, but, deep behind the screen, lies a few plot holes that will make this episode somewhat… mediocre. To start it off, Dead Eye Plankton is just a terrible villain if you think about it. While Plankton may be a decent antagonist in the regular series, Dead Eye Plankton fails to work. Surely, he's got a whip, but in the anticlimatic duel in the end, all it took to defeat Dead Eye was to squish him, which SpongeBuck did. Then after that, the townspeople suddenly aren't afraid of Dead Eye anymore, and they all begin to torture him. One moment the townspeople ran away in fear, and the next they are squishing him nearly to death. Maybe this episode could've worked better if the antagonist was a real fish instead of Plankton. The second issue is how the theme shifts consistantly in the second half of the episode. At first, SpongeBuck then tells the townspeople that they should team up to defeat Dead Eye, and that the power of friendship counters evil. But when the duel actually starts, the townspeople hide behind and are still too scared to face Plankton, essentially making the entire scene where SpongeBuck tells the townspeople to face Plankton useless. Overall, the episode is great, only if you don't look at the plot holes. But they are hard to miss, so the episode will get a score of 13/20.

Final Rating: Satisfactory (13/20)

Review #11

Pat the Horse
Season 11

To begin, I just don't understand why this episode is so hated by some fans of the show. It's probably because of the unusual plot- Patrick randomly decides he wants to be a horse. And speaking of the plot, there may not be a plot at all as the episode shifts around several times, from Patrick becoming a pony ride to the horse race in the end. But plots like these are typical of Season 11, and its sister episode, Cuddle E. Hugs, is even weirder and more random. I thought this episode is amazing, and the plot, while strange, is executed brilliantly. The episode starts off fast in the beginning where SpongeBob tells Patrick that he could be anything. The first joke is in the cover of the book where all the fish look so sad during their jobs, but you may miss it since the scene goes by fast. But when Patrick decides to become a horse after seeing the book, the episode begins to get interesting. SpongeBob's ride through town on Patrick (which is now the horse) has many simple but funny jokes, including the janitor who follows behind Patrick. While the next part, where Mr. Krabs then decides to use Patrick to earn cash, isn't exactly the best part of the episode, SpongeBob going as far as the Bikini Badlands to tame Patrick again is beautiful yet funny at the same time. The action starts when Pat the horse and Squidward the horse compete in the horse race to see who is faster, complete with the William Tell Overture playing in the background. The episode features several Looney Tunes-like gags, such as the "eat dust", the "shortcut sign", and the treadmill. While Patrick didn't win because he ate the patty, Patrick's randomness continues when he decides to be a crab, and SpongeBob rides Squidward home. Overall, a very surreal and strange episode, but it works out incredibly well.

Final Rating: Amazing (18/20)

Review #12

Walking the Plankton
Season 8

This is the second episode in the SpongeBob's Runaway Roadtrip miniseries, and it definitely could have been the best. It could have gotten a 17/20, but one thing ruins it all- Karen's obnoxiousness. But to start with the positives, the beginning has great jokes, such as Plankton's sunglass (referencing he has only one eye), and SpongeBob hugging the mailman. The episode gets to the cruise plot quickly, and there Plankton uses several attempts to try and get Krabs' secret formula. He gets squished by Mr. Krabs in something that looks awkwardly like a wheelchair (I actually thought it was one when I first watched the episode a long time ago). Plankton falls into the rear end of a sweaty fish, gets shuffleboarded, and even gets decapitated by the boat's live action motor. And to top it off, the land food buffet scenes are just the funniest scenes in the entire episode- where we have seafood, the Bikini Bottomites have land food. This brings up a lot of questions, but Mr. Krabs dislikes the land food and decides to set up the grill on the ship. Plankton then manages to steal a patty from Krabs… until he flies into Karen. And that's where the episode takes a negative 180 degree turn, a very, very big negative 180 degree turn. OF ALL THE THINGS Karen could've done, she chose to do the worst. Karen becomes a literal psycho and cuts the cruise ship in half, sinking it. Plankton just wanted the formula, and instead of punishing just Plankton, you destroy the entire ship? This does not make sense. And in the end, all the passengers are on little boats in the middle of nowhere, and nothing gets fixed. NOTHING. Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob have their vacation ruined, and the cruise ship is now sinking to the bottom of the ocean. I have only question- why? Why must an episode filled with funny jokes and dialogue be ruined by this absolute [dolphin noise] of an ending? In conclusion, if you want to see the episode, just make sure to turn off the TV at the point where Plankton flies into Karen. Then assume Plankton gets punished by Mr. Krabs and Karen that doesn't involve ruining all the passengers on board, and you'll maybe give the episode a good rating.

Final Rating: *Mixed* (see below) :planet:

with Ending: (17/20) Fantastic
without Ending: (6/20) Awful

The reason why I gave this episode two separate ratings is that because of the ending, the points deducted are too much and the episode would have been a 11.5/20, countering the rest of the episode.

THE WINNER:
Pat the Horse with a rating of 18/20

Back