Looney Tunes vs Spongebob Squarepants

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
considering this is a SpongeBob forums this is a bit bias
I'd say SpongeBob... but I can't honestly say that I've watch loads of Looney Tunes in my life

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
SpongeBob is just so much more funnier to me. Especially when they have those fourth wall moments like...

screenshot20101223at220.png

because they really make me laugh out loud.

Looney Tunes doesn't have that. So SpongeBob. =O

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I would have to say Spongebob as well. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that he is the Looney Tunes of our generation; just look at the way he has penetrated not just American culture, but cultures all over the world. You can't help but fall in love with the characters ... they bounce off each other perfectly and their world fits together like a jigsaw puzzle. Everything just feels right.

TheShadowKiller

pain is good exercise folks remember it.
Bugs bunny>>>>>spongebob.

Bugs bunny has influenced the world a lot more then spongebob has ever had, He is ranked #1 on the top 50 characters list. Plus he isn't annoying like spongebob is. He's way better than that sponge.

Looney tunes and merrie melodies shorts are some of the greatest creation's to animation while spongebob doesn't come close. If you watched looney tunes and merrie melodies then you would never choose spongebob over looney tunes. And PHILIPPB as for 4th wall, looney tunes has not only broken the 4th wall they entered into it several times, looney tunes do have that, it's just that you haven't seen much of the shorts. Some of the best shorts of looney tunes are What's Opera Doc and Duck Amuck, and Rabbit Fire. Both are better then over half of spongebob's episodes. Not saying spongebob sucks, im' saying it's not better then looney tunes. If you say spongebob, you need to watch more looney tunes. Looney tunes have a vareity of characters and episodes while spongebob focus's one only 1 character. But both falls in comparison to Tom And Jerry though. T&J is the best.

Looney tunes characters>>>>>..Spongebob characters. And noone and I mean noone would say spongebob's characters are better then the looney tunes characters. And looney tunes world is more of an illogical jigsaw puzzle then spongebob is.

Come one looney tunes are claasic and will be remembered and watched for decades Looney tunes hasn't lost it's tough unlike spongebob. They stopped making looney tunes when the shorts were still great.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
looney tunes do have that, it's just that you haven't seen much of the shorts.
Are you really telling me how much Looney Tunes cartoons I've watched? Because I have watched pretty much all of them - they have been repeated all day every day as I have said on Boomerang for the past 10 years. I just prefer SpongeBob's humour.

TheShadowKiller

Have you watched the movies? Spongebob does have humour but looney tunes and merrie melodies humour are a classic. You can't beat the wabbit season duck season line. the 3 hunting episodes with bugs daffy and elmer fudd are some of chuck jones's best works. That and along with What's Opera Doc possiblly the best looney tunes shorts, and duck amuck and Duck dodgers in the 24th and a 1/2 century are too. Both fall in comparison to Tom and Jerry. Nothing's made me laugh more in a single minute then T&J.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
Never found Tom & Jerry funny - what's funny about a cat and mouse running around all the time? It was boring to me.

TheShadowKiller

Because the stuff they did while chasing around was funny. Old tom and jerry cartoons were a classic. The new ones suck though. It's obviously not your type of humour. tom and jerry went downhill in the early 80's/late 70's or even before.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Spongebob's season 4 & 5 are what made this decision so easy. Horrible seasons.

Looney Tunes is, was, and always will be best. There were no bad episodes.

TheShadowKiller

Because the stuff they did while chasing around was funny. Old tom and jerry cartoons were a classic. The new ones suck though. It's obviously not your type of humour. tom and jerry went downhill in the early 80's/late 70's or even before.
And he did the exact opposite in looney tunes. He made them better. Just go watch Duck rabbit duck, rabbit seasoning and rabbit fire and most importantly What's Opera Doc . Onlyany of those 4 episodes to watch I ask and then you'll know what he did great to looney tunes and merrie melodies. Besides chuck jones isn't even the worst thing that happened to tom and jerry. the new stuff happenning in t&j are worse and gene deitch and will snyder are way worse then chuck jones or maybe that's because I only watched 4 shorts in that era but anyway chuck jones wasn't even the worst thing that happened to T&J.

And i agree with ssj. Spongebob sucked so bad in season 4 and 5. Looney tunes hardly ever had anything bad happened.

ShoopFrog3

Floating Shopping List
Geez, Bart Simpson ,you're just wanting a flame war.

And comparing looney tunes and spongebob is not comparable. If you don't like Spongebob, Just go away.

And everyone has there own opinion,You are just forcing them to Hate the new Spongebob and love Looney tunes, They have there own opinion,so Bart Simpson, just stop dissing there opinions.

This thread should be closed.

TheShadowKiller

Im' not saying i hate spongebob. I like it. but Im' saying it shouldn't be compared because looney tunes is a classic and is superior to spongebob.

DJ Sponge

Future Miss Universe
If there were no Looney Tunes, I guarantee you there would be no SpongeBob.

Everything should be taken in with the knowledge of it's context, and Looney Tunes' humour was revolutionary at the time, there was nothing else like it, and it hasn't aged a bit, you watch it now, it's still freaking hilarious. The characters are great, the writing is great, the physical comedy, the animation, I could go on, it's gold.

SpongeBob is still great and everything, but it hasn't been as consistent. The episodes haven't been good in years and it's not exactly the most consistent show in the world. It's humour isn't as timeless, I can't imagine a whole lot of it working 60 years down the road. But then again, it may, we don't know. It's not exactly fair comparing SpongeBob to one of the most influential cartoons in the history of forever because we're yet to know how SpongeBob will be seen in that time.

then again, personally, when it comes down to it, Looney Tunes for moi. Classic.

TheShadowKiller

yeah looney tunes changed everything. It and disney and hanna barbera and maybe simpsons made american animation what it is. so without looney tunes there'd be no spongebob. You can be 58 and still love looney tunes but the same cannot be said for spongebob. I do enjoy it but looney tunes were one of the greatest cartoons ever made. It didn't grow old and very few bad things happened to it. And it is still loved by many. But today's generation of kids don't know who bugs bunny is or have never watched looney tunes or rarely watched it. I feel sorry for them, they're missing out.

TattleTale Strangler

Normality Impaired
Here's my take on it. Both are great cartoons. Anyone from any age appreciate both cartoons, both make you laugh, and both cartoons spark controversy in parents. Looney Tunes did have its misfires, so it's not fair to say that SpongeBob's season 4 and 5 were reasons to pick Looney Tunes. It's also not fair to choose Looney Tunes over SpongeBob because it's a "classic" - SpongeBob isn't old enough to be considered a "classic" yet. That's like comparing I Love Lucy to Phineas and Ferb.

However.

Looney Tunes is, was, and still is funnier to me. SpongeBob's gross humor and constant crying is a huge turnoff for me. When I watch cartoons, I want to be amused, not grossed out by Squidward having his toenail being shredded across the floor by a couch. When I turn on Looney Tunes, I'm always in for a treat because, even if it doesn't make me laugh, it still amuses me.

So, my vote is definitely Looney Tunes. As far as today's cartoons go, SpongeBob would definitely be my pick. =O

Edit: TL;DR - Looney Tunes

TheShadowKiller

yeah and bugs bunny is funnier and awesomer then spongebob. Everyone I know said looney tunes suck and spongebob is better than bugs bunny. Too bad they never had a great childhood cartoon like looney tunes. Spongebob is great but it grosses me out and has a lot of bad episodes these days.

Back