• If you didn't get a chance to do the SBM yearbook, I've opened it up for another week. Saturday, May 8, is the last day to put in your entry :)

Late season 3's strange aura

MeterMarker

Imitation Krab
I can't be the only one who feels this. Starting around I Had an Accident (though maybe as early as Party Pooper Pants) the show begins to feel more "empty" (can't think of a better word) and overall just a little off. Sponge Who Could Fly is the definitive episode for this.

Last edited:

Squidward1999

Moby Dollar
Honestly all throughout Season 3, the endings are usually the strangest part of the episode (like My Pretty Seahorse or I Had a Accident)

I agree with late Season 3 being weird. I actually really like this, with "I had an Accident" being one of my favorite episodes.
i think since season 3 was intended to be the final season, the writers wanted to go all out experimental with the final half of the season, which is also why the quality of episodes fluctuated so much during that time in my opinion.
I think this is probably true.

In general, early season 4 feels much emptier and off, with slightly different designs, different sound quality, and I think even different delivery from the voice actors. As much as some people hate it, I think season 5 was stylistically and tonally much closer to seasons 2 and 3 than 4 was.

Season 4 was the "transitional season" after SpongeBob's post-movie soft-reboot
Thinking of season 4 onward as a reboot of sorts really works. Seasons 1-3 had some continuity, like sandy beginning hibernation in one episode and ending in another. I've also noticed season 2 has episodes dealing with fall and winter, while season 3 had episodes dealing with spring and summer, like we were watching a year in spongebob's life after season 1 fleshed things out. All of this disappeared starting with season 4.

Squidward1999

Moby Dollar
I think it has something to do with most of the episodes from late Season 1 not being talked about as much as the early half...

Original Raw and Uncut

Big, Scary, Pink
I think it has something to do with most of the episodes from late Season 1 not being talked about as much as the early half...

Besides Hooky and MM&BB II, late season 1 has a lot of obscure episodes, The Paper, Fools in April, Valentine's Day, Neptune's Spatula, and Walking Small are the most obscure episodes in the season. Whenever an episode from late season 1 is on, it's like watching an old episode of one of your favorite shows that you've never seen before. Late season 1's animation quality is also a huge improvement over the early half, to the point where it looks like a cel animated version of season 2.

Mikurotoro92

Best Friends Forever
Thinking of season 4 onward as a reboot of sorts really works. Seasons 1-3 had some continuity, like sandy beginning hibernation in one episode and ending in another. I've also noticed season 2 has episodes dealing with fall and winter, while season 3 had episodes dealing with spring and summer, like we were watching a year in spongebob's life after season 1 fleshed things out. All of this disappeared starting with season 4.
Ooh I like your way of thinking

That is a nice theory about watching a year in SpongeBob's life with each season!

It's like every season represents one year in SpongeBob's life

But that would mean...SpongeBob SquarePants is 13 years old?!?

That can't be right...

Last edited:

Squidward1999

Moby Dollar
Season 4 is unique and pretty different from Season 5 to 8 (or 9A if you want to be precise). I think that Season 4 was a continuation of SpongeBob though a semi reboot at the same time.

Fear Of A Nerdy Patty

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I don't think late season 3 is that weird nor a serious drop in quality. Missing Identity, Plankton's Army and SpongeBob Meets The Strangler are some of my favorite episodes of the series. I Had An Accident has the funniest ending ever.

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me KĆ«lp0
Holy crap... The seasons thing. I- This- Dude, this could become a theory. šŸ˜¶