Korean Dramas

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
Up until this year, I had never seen a K-drama in my life. Well, a few months ago I was in a mood, and randomly googled "it's okay to not be okay". Lo and behold, the 2020 k-drama of that very name comes up. Intrigued, I find it on Netflix and give the first episode a watch.

I was hooked.

Over the course of the following week, I watched the ensuing fifteen episodes. If you haven't seen it, I think it's pretty nearly a masterpiece. And it happened to help me through a rather rough depressive episode I was going through as well.

Now I've just begun watching "When the Weather is Fine," and we'll see how this one goes. I have a sense for the tropes of the genre, and how "It's Okay to Not Be Okay" also subverted quiet a few of them, which I enjoyed.

As with anime, my viewing experience is extremely limited. I have never been, and don't think I ever will be, a full-on fanatic for the genre (that goes for American/English media as well). It's kind of like reading - I pick up a book, start to read it, and if I like it, I continue (hopefully to the end). Whether it's romance, anime, or true crime, I like a slow burn. And a relatable human story. From my limited viewing, Korean dramas excel in places that my native tongue's offerings currently do not.

So, what are everyone's favorite K-dramas (recent or otherwise)?

Back